Review: ASUS Radeon RX 6800 XT STRIX OC Liquid Cooled

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. danny69t

danny69t Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super 4GB
    Those unsleeved cables are such a turn off :(

ceesay and rl66 like this.
  3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Really good performance up to 1440p with RT, and 4K without.

For pro - gamers with 144 Hz screens, 6800 series is a good bargain for all the performance.

I have no idea why that would happen with RT or 4K falling off like that.

It cannot be the number of ROPS, so might be memory controller. Hopefully the 6900XT would make up for 4K performance.

But overall the price with the cooler is so scary expensive, before scalping. I wonder how a custom water cooling setup would cost and compare?

4. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn For how long are the games run?

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    IC does not have sufficient capacity to hold buffers and some bandwidth/latency sensitive data at 4K. So memory bandwidth comes into play more than on lower resolutions.
    That's why RDNA2 excels on 1080p, it has superior latency and bandwidth for above as buffers are smaller.

That means, unless 6900XT has faster memories, situation will be very similar.

6. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    It's a shame that they couldn't make the card shorter, its still 28cm. Even with Asus premium tax its not that bad considering how cool and fast it runs, it would cost alot to have your own water block etc and then need to actually fit it all, its why I always liked the idea of the seahawk as it gives an option to people who don't want to mess around.

That overclock performance takes it above the 3090 in Strange Brigade, Far Cry and level with the 3080 in Tomb Raider. Still loses in Witcher 3 but that's going to be obvious but it will be interesting to see what the graphical update in The Witcher 3 does to performance across the board, I take it @Hilbert Hagedoorn will test some of that?

Over to the 3080ti at this point because that will be about the price of this card

7. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Wow bit much for what it gives extra over a standard XT if you have a loop already then a liquid option is much cheaper and probably better as you wont have the extra stuff to build in just extend some pipes, never seen the attraction of these models from the partners, plus your proper GPU block does the whole card and makes it a much smaller neater package

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I see them all as similarly performing. All those cards mainly differ in cooling capability at certain noise levels. Yes, price increase is not small. But this one is currently quietest by far.

9. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    It would be nice if AMD added faster memory to the 6900XT to help justify what is a large price uplift for only a small number of CUs.

Looking at the table on page 1 of the review, it seems you'll be paying over 50% more for 11% more cores. Unless AMD are hiding something for release day, at 4K those cores will be starved of memory bandwidth and the performance is unlikely to be very impressive compared to the 6800XT.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Undying likes this.
  10. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    Currently using a 19.2 dB(A) dGPU (modded with a Kraken G10 and a 140mm AIO with fan capped at 1200 RPM in full load and 650 rpm in idle).

If these 33 dB(A) from the review are on the same page as my current 19.2 db(A). Then I think it's better choice to go with a Kraken G10 similar approach or just a custom loop.

I was looking forward to get this Strix because of the AIO and low noise.
    But I think I'll just go with a custom loop (or some Kraken mod). I'd also consider an RX6700 or RX6800 with lower TDP.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    23dBA is super quiet for PC. Even 33dBA is quiet.
    Question is, if your noise meter is really dBA and not just dB as it has different weighting, where 80dB is around 100dBA. (Can't remember exactly. But that should be around where each is considered damaging to ears.)

For example, my air humidifier is louder on dBA scale than may PC. But on dB scale, PC is louder. So, different measurement methods profile different properties of sound.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    So what???
    Go buy one if you can:p

Kosmoz likes this.
  13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Definite waste of money for $999 for this liquid-cooled version, 9% more performance (when overclocked) than a $650 reference card (not overclocked), so you overclock the $650 reference card and narrow the 9% lead of the $999 liquid-cooled card even more. Waste of money!

You could buy the liquid cooled card for lower noise, but $999 vs $650....naaaa!

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    But seriously, Asus could have done something cleaner than that for the fan's wire...
    It look a bit dirty.

tunejunky likes this.
  15. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it's a wire not a fancy wedding cake

would take this over 6900xt

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    did your sample have pads for all the memory modules? the one tpu received is missing a strip.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yikes, did I just hear toilet flushing?

No,

that was just someone's xmas bonus.

tunejunky likes this.
  18. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    So, here's the thing, we did expect the RX 6800 XT to be a bit behind the RTX 3080 in rendering performance (and a bit more in RT) but we all said "This is ok, it's also cheaper".
    But an AIB card is more expensive than a reference 3080, without being a better performer.
    I strongly believe AMD priced the GPUs too high, too soon. They should have taken lessons from the CPU department, where the new generation is expensive but has the -absolute and relative- performance to back the price.

barbacot, rl66 and DannyD like this.
  19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    In these insane times we can't really judge yet imo, wait until at least January to let the dust settle, demand is unprecedented for most electronics right now especially the ones used to aid sitting about the house.
    Lets see how pricing /availability is in January.

barbacot likes this.
  20. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Hideously overpriced for the performance. Shame looks really nice, but it just cannot compete with a premium 3080 at that price point.