Review: ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT ROG STRIX

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You can hate them or love them nvidia is indeed bringing some great cards. Year after year amd just cant catch a break.

2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    Yes? I said "years and years" and it's been years and years since the first 1000 series Pascal cards came out. Since then, for going on 4 years, we've only seen incremental steps in performance and exponential steps in price.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Pascal was pinnacle of Lean GPU architecture. From there nVidia changed direction. Turing is not lean. And I do not expect next thing to be either.

4. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    Pascal cards launched in 2016 and 2017... The last Pascal card made this summer 2 years.

You talk as if AMD were innovating every year, when most of their lineup in last years has been run by rebrands and refreshes.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019

5. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    Have I even mentioned AMD? They've been wallowing in re-brands and technological dead ends for so long it's sad. Take your fanboy pants off, they don't suit you :p

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    No. The smallest gap was Turing, but even there the top cards at least, are like night and day.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
  8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    That's also the only gap in almost 3 years and it was a relatively small one with a price increase that certainly did not justify the performance increase.
    Sure, ray tracing is super cool and really great and I certainly want to experience it in games and in more games and I'm really looking forward to playing my first games with it on. Especially modded old ones that can benefit from it... Been looking forward to this for ages. However, I don't want to pay 50% extra for my normal performance to be able to enable it in a tiny group of titles.

MonstroMart likes this.
  9. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    In general performance Maxwell to Pascal was not a huge gap considering the 980 ti and 1070 were close, on top of Titan X and the 1080 being close. Compute performance on the other hand, Pascal definitely had an advantage.

But again, buying into the high end market you lose out on any type of value, you aren't buying into value when buying into high end.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Average person doesn't care about price, performance, graphics gap or ratio. It is like, can I play this game or not? Do I enjoy this? There are people who would pay 10% more for a steady 1% benefit because they can absolutely distinguish it with their eyes and responses during a game session.

11. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    This is far from being the truth, considering the most sold card from the Pascal series was the 1060 being a mid range mainstream card people could afford, and as far as AMD goes Polaris cards being bought over Vega cards, and then the ladder in previous generations.

airbud7, Undying and warlord like this.
  12. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    I agree only if a person sees just for its wallet. Some people cannot make compromises. For example, since I own an xboxonex I could never buy an equally weak system with gtx1060/gtx1650/rx570/rx580 for example. After the mediocre experience of low to mid end PC and xbox one x, I prefer to not buy a new PC at all if I cannot afford even a tiny stable distinctive difference in all my games. Experience bypasses wallet in my opinion.

13. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    But your experience does not equal the entire market. General sales from both companies have shown their biggest sell items are their mid range cards.

14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    1070 was sold at a reasonable price though. Prices have come down a bit lately but the launch price of the 2070 in canada was extremely ridiculous. And it was not only for 1 month i mean it lasted for a long while. There was like nothing under 800$ CAD at launch and some models were over 900$. That's a lot of money for a 70 card ...

15. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    The xx70 variant was pushed to a high end mainstream card this time around. Why do you think there's a sudden uprise in 16xx cards to take mainstream place?

airbud7 likes this.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    1660Ti is not much of an upgrade over the 1070 though. I mean at 2k you might get 1 to 3 more fps on average. Not really worth talking about in my book. So not sure i would call the 1660Ti mid range since it performs exactly like mid range of 3 years ago which should technically be entry level by now.

The 2600 is the new mid range but even that was expensive at launch. It was a relatively good upgrade over a 1070 but not enough to make me upgrade. It was more or less performing like a 1070Ti/Vega 56.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    I don't think so, yeah it's mid-range but not low range by any means. My overclocked card is pretty much equal with a 1070 Ti @ 1080p. I mean if you have a 1070 now you shouldn't even be worrying about upgrading at the moment. If you are then go ahead and spent a shitload of money.

18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Well i have a 2k screen and the 1070 is borderline in many games at this resolution.

19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Well in that case buy enthusiast hardware, if you got the money spend it however you want.

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC