Review: ASUS Radeon ROG RX Vega 64 STRIX 8GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I have re-published our ASUS Radeon ROG RX Vega 64 STRIX 8GB review. The review is similar to what it was a few weeks ago, yet with some foot-notes. ASUS did not offer a new BIOS, yet did offer a dri...

Review: ASUS Radeon ROG RX Vega 64 STRIX 8GB

Silva likes this.
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Thank you as always for the great reviews HH!!
    Pretty much no change from the performance side. Better temps.

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Nice review HH thanks but i hope some of the other manufacturers can do better.
    I am surprised I thought the strix would do a much better job cooling the Vega and enable better performance.

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Jaytwocents also recently did the review of the card and his card performed under the reference card.
    Either AMD binned the best GPUs for reference cards and sent the others to partners, or something is wrong with Asus...

5. aKiss

aKiss Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050ti LP
    I think it is a combination of crap TIM applied in the factory combined with binned vega chips offered to third party card builders.
    I wonder if Raja's "sabbatical" has anything to do with this and if his sabbatical is permanent

6. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Yeah i have noticed that, but some of the reviewers admitted the Strix used the silent profile vs the performance profile of the stock, maybe a power limit in the silent profile thats causing it to run slightly slower.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Same here. This version barely improves over the stock cooler and the performance is the same and even worse in some cases!...
    It´s like Vega, it should perform better but it doesn´t for some strange reason... Let´s hope Vega matures well and improves significantly with time.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    At the very least he doesn't need to answer any questions this way, so AMD can remain mysteriously silent. That can't be a coincidence.

Silva likes this.
  9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I hope it's not permanent. I like the guy and although Vega doesn't perform exceptionally well on games, it has the compute power and allot of new tech behind it that could be great in the future once it matures.
    I'm sure competent reviewers like HH and J2C who contacted Asus and tested for days, would have resolved the issue if possible. The card is crap.

10. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    This is just bad, not only the overall performance of this card compared to reference, but also the poor attitude shown by ASUS. I mean, really ? Take down a review for 2 weeks and then improve basically nothing ?

Robbo9999 likes this.