Review: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II TOP [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We'll test and review the GeForce GTX 660 Ti DCUII TOP from ASUS. The GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II TOP edition is factory overclocked pretty high towards 1058 MHz on the core with a boost frequency of 1137'ish. The memory has been kept the same though at 6008 MHz (effective datarate). The card has been equipped with 2GB of graphics memory (on a 192-bit wise memory bus) and is pimped out and custom cooled.

Review: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II TOP

2. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    Is there a reason why 12.11 beta drivers were not used in this test against 660 Ti? Kind of misleading information if you ask me?

Asus 660 Ti review

[​IMG]

660 Ti review with AMD 12.11 Never settle

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This review was already written and done before the Beta driver came out. Once AMD updates to WHQL we will retest all Radeon 7000 cards and upgrade the charts.

But valid point, the R7000 cards with the new driver will be a hint faster.

4. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    All sprite, thank you

5. kzinti1

kzinti1 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    What do AMD drivers have to do with this Nvidia videocard? You've completely lost me.

"Honestly I'm not sure whether or not you should invest in the TOP model of this card. A 'regular' DirectCU II version is available as well, simply crank open the power limiter and both cards will perform roughly equal. This is the problem with NVIDIA's severe and strict limitations. Most cards from any brand will perform roughly the same with the difference being a couple of frames per second here and there."

This is exactly the same conclusion I reached when Nvidia started throttling the voltages of their, (actually OUR) cards.
    It seems to me that they have set themselves up to lose quite a bit of money by doing this. After all, why buy a more expensive card when we can just take their el cheapo models and bring them up to almost exactly the same levels of their overpriced, yet still underperforming, voltage locked cards that have a minimal OC performed at the factory?
    What little OCability that's left, can easily be done at home by anyone. Also, for practically the same price, we can buy 2 of their cheaper cards and get better performance by using SLi. Nvidia will still lose money and we can gain better performance from 2 cards than a single high-priced model card.
    Nvidia's voltage lock is a lose-lose situation. For them. It's a winning situation for us!
    Way to go, Nvidia! You screwed us over and now we've turned this into a winning solution for overclockers. Good job!

6. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    any review on how 7850HD do with a 12.11 ? or any owner here?

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Because people will buy a card based on the direct comparison of this and it's AMD equivalent? If drivers bring the AMD equivalent card to a higher level performance, that makes this card worse, no? Not everyone just always buys Nvidia or AMD, they base their decisions on performance for the price.