Review: AOC CU34G2X Gaming monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ultrawide monitors are becoming more popular these days. In the PC world, 21:9 aspect ratio indicates the resolutions of 2560×1080 (WFHD and 3440×1440 (WQHD), and the latter is what we are going to ...

Review: AOC CU34G2X Gaming monitor

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Cool... we are reviewing monitors from now on :)
    Hopefully using the same template/procedure so that comparing different models is straight forward.

I didn't quite get G-Sync issues: It mentions G-Sync having some problems, then later it says G-Sync works, even with HDR.

3. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I had considered this model last November due to its relatively low price and good specs, and they had one on display at my local MicroCenter. However, I disliked the controls and passed it up. They were out of stock on better models until a month ago, which I bought my current LG 34gn850, which I absolutely love. But the AOC is still popular due to its value, and sells out quickly. To each his/her own.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nice review just in time. Im still debating between this one and gigabyte g34wqc.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah, Chris wrote this one, so he can answer that.

6. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    seems like they improved VA, great but I still wouldn't buy one without seeing it running in person, sadly impossible today, non essential parts of stores closed due to you know what
    I returned a 2560×1080 VA 2 years ago, awful purple smears and it looked blurry, will def go 1440 the day my current monitor becomes unrepairable

7. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    A good VA panel can be as good as an IPS panel in terms of image quality, the only downside of VA panels remains in the view angles which can be ok if you don't care about it.

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

Ive had 2 VA panels now. 3440x1440 100hz 35 inch curved. Now currently 3840x1080 144hz curved. Zero issues with panel quality and image quality. About as good as my 2560x1080 75hz IPS I had.

9. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Thanks for the review! Can you please expand on the smearing issue of the VA? A picture of https://www.testufo.com/ghosting#ba...tion=160&pps=960&graphics=bbufo.png&pursuit=1 would show how good or severe this VA panel behaves (especially with varying overdrive settings)

Also there has been another 3440x1440 announced by AOC with a 1000R (!) curve. Will you review that model as well? It'll be called CU34G3S

P.S. more explanation on this here: https://blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-motion-artifacts/

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I still don't understand the appeal of a curved monitor, being an artist I feel like it would hinder my judgement of what is strait and what is curved when drawing... it makes me think back to trying to draw using a crt monitor which would drive me absolutely nuts.

insp1re2600 likes this.

11. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    I wouldn't recommend it for creative "pixelperfect" tasks, like drawing, but for games and movies it is superior, as the distance of the screen to your eyes is more even as in curved around you. the curve-craze in TVs was utter bullshit tho and was a crap idea throughout

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    KissSh0t likes this.
  12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/ag273qxp

That might be more your liking. 165Hz, HDR, 2560x1440 and everyone's favourite nano-IPS tech.

It's also less money.

OT: Not a fan of curved monitors, even though I will concede the logic behind them for the distance they are built for - but for me, it's like doing coffee in the microwave...it gets the job done, but, an espresso machine is better.

HH! Please let me know you have secured through your contacts a review sample of this monitor?

ninja edit:

To additionally confuse, there are nine different types of 'VA' panels https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

I can attest to the only VA panel I had, that was a BenQ S-PVA - and it was very clean image, with awesome angles that had next to zero color shift, even @ 170 degrees. It even had that IPS 'pastel' look to certain colors, like sea blues, crimson reds and rich forest greens.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It's been almost half a year since I got my Alienware AW3420DW and all I can say is that I'm really, really happy with it. For me, for the distance I have the monitor positioned, 21:9 is fantastic. The curve is really subtle, like in this AOC, and it really adds a LOT of immersion, especially in RPGs and even FPS games are arguably more enjoyable. The only game genre that I can think of where you are at a bit of a disadvantage is something like an MMO or RTS where you have a lot of addons and and numbers on UI elements to look at, that are at the edges of the screen, but even there it's not that big of a deal. Movies are awesome to watch, since most of them are shot in ultrawide.

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Seen that Cyberpunk advertising/affiliation that Dell use?

They gotta get that name scratched off of that monitor.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its a gaming monitor afterall. For ultrawides curvature is a must and it makes everything more immersive.

16. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Ha ha, as one of the 1.38% of Guru3d 3440 x 1440 site visitors, thanks for the ultrawide review. Who knows, perhaps that 1.38% will increase? When I upgraded my gaming computer, I also upgraded to a PG35VQ 200Hz and it's fantastic for gaming. FC5 looks beautiful with RT & ultra settings, ditto Metro Exodus which I've just finished. Would never go back to 16:9 and mark my words, when the uber new 4K HDR1000 etc gaming screens are finally released later this year, they will cost a silly amount.

Solfaur likes this.
  17. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Now, *that's* a monitor review...;) Very thorough and well done!

What struck me is that the UI for the monitor seems identical to the AOC 4k I bought 2.5 years ago--and, yes, the little buttons are a pain, frankly. The wife got it--while I went to the BenQ EW-3270U for $449 bucks on Amazon. (I much prefer the BenQ for a number of reasons.)

But...I don't buy the whole "34 inches of curved monitor at a lower resolution is more immersive" line because with a 32" 4k monitor with your eyes 18"-24" away it fills 80%-70%, respectively, of your view field--and you get a better resolution, too. And then there's the issue of what a curved screen does with flat imagery, etc.

18. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

A 29 inch 21:9 2560x1080 is 100000% more immersive then a 32inch 4k monitor. I can not touch 16:9 anymore. IT SUCKS. And being on a 32:9 now, 16:9 feels like its from 2000. And you are by far exaggerating what curved screens do to flat imagery.

But hey its obvious you can not understand field of view. And think resolution equals immersion.

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You like to see pixels. Some don't. It's ok, we're all special. I do have to applaud your maths on the 100000% "more immersive" calculation. Such precision is rare.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Never mind him, the guy goes full retard when anyone doesnt share his enthusiasm for ultra-short (1080p) ultra-wides. :rolleyes: