Review: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X - 64 processor cores and 128 threads in one CPU package

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2020.

1. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    If I was to buy "that" amount of cores/threads I would also buy a windows 10 pro for workstations license anyway for home's office usage. It isn't science, it is pure logic.

2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Actually, I think that only Win10 ENT or Linux (newest kernel) can properly support this baby--then there's the question of how many cores the benchmarks themselves can handle--only a few are going to stretch their legs at 128t. People who spend this kind of cash for a 3990 system are definitely not going to hobble it with OSes that cannot support the threads, or applications that cannot support the threads, etc., imo. IE, the folks who buy this will be doing a lot of thinking and research--or else they are people who are already running far more expensive Intel Xeon 2p systems and they wish to move up in the world without spending another $30 grand for non-competitive Intel systems. Also, depending on workload, people will also be looking at 128t, single-cpu Epyc systems with more memory channels and 4tb memory support that is still much cheaper than the nearest Intel systems.

3. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    You are comparing this workstation processor with Intel's Mainstream gaming processors?Where are Xeon in benchmarks?Totaly biased benchmark.How much bribe you took @ Hilbert Hagedoorn

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I understand why you would like to see Xeons in this review. Intel, however, will not ship them as policy, they just don't. Also, you need to realize that Threadripper 3990X is launched in a consumer/prosumer domain, Xeon is a server targeted processor series. So while the numbers would be interesting to read you can actually argue the validity of such a comparison. We tested the best from AMD against the best from intel on a (pro)consumer level, that's what this website is about.

In a perfect world, everybody would be happy with a review, I also understand that is just not ever possible as everybody has a slightly different point of view or preference.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    One more of those and this was your last visit to this website.

boom12a1, Jagman, cryohellinc and 2 others like this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    tbh, thats kind of crappy of intel, they send that idiot linus $10,000 xeons all the time, in pairs even.

jura11 likes this.
  7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Usually most of the time he has to send them back, or he buys them from *other* sources.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    true, but i doubt its out of intels power to loan review xeons out, theres an Intel distributor or hq in netherlands isn't there?.

Toms Hardware even got to review the Xeon W-3175X :confused:

jura11 likes this.
  9. lord of shadows

lord of shadows New Member

GPU:
    gtx1080ti
    Really wanted this processor, but they priced it like intel *and* changed the socket around requiring a new motherboard (like intel) making it a no go until the price drops into reasonable territory. I'm sure they'll still sell though, not to regular people, but to companies that need the cores in a desktop form factor

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Intels nearest equivalent:
    https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Proces...ntel+Xeon+Platinum+8280&qid=1581258774&sr=8-1
    Oh, you need 2 of those in dual socket (56 cores) to come close to the the 3990x. All yours for $20,000+.

Embra likes this.

11. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD630 :(
    Monster of a chip for those who actually have the workloads that require the amount of threads here, easily destroys Intel in that domain at that price point! Intel can't get near it. Well done to AMD.

Looking forward to seeing what Zen3 brings, doubt they'll be more cores for mainstream, and probably not for threadripper either. Can see IPC and core clocks taking precedent next round

jura11 likes this.
  12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Because of Threadripper's unfortunate RAM limitation, a W-3175X (similar RAM limitation) is probably a more fair comparison at ~$3k a pop. RAM becomes very important for workloads that a 64 core CPU will encounter. This is likely to keep the Epyc CPU relevant.
    A lot more reasonable than $20k, BUT...
    Like you said, you would still need 2 of them, which makes it over $2k more expensive. It's also slightly older, meaning the 3990X will likely win in per core performance, and still lacks 8 cores. Dual socket systems will also have to deal with the annoyance of two NUMA nodes, something the older Threadripper had to deal with, which was a sticking point for AMD, now the tables have turned. The difference in price alone is already more than what most people on a tech forum spend on their whole computer.

Aura89 and alanm like this.
  13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    "priced like intel" lol ...'cause you know, intel totally has a 64 core processor for this price right? .... or anywhere near it?........yeah.......

As to the socket change. SOMETIMES socket changes are necessary. So no, that's "not like intel" since intel socket changes are more often then not, not necessary.

There will always be socket changes, no one should assume there won't be, that's foolish.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The socket change was necessary to improve the flow of power throughout the substrate, improving efficency, thermals and removing path noise and latency from chipset to io die.

15. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    As far as memory goes, the limit is quite possibly a soft limit based on what is actually available. What AMD did was leave out support RDIMMs and LRDIMMS (primarily for server applications), which for the time being is the only way to get modules above 32GB. It is genuinely possible that if normal unbuffered ECC (or not) 64GB modules get produced in the future that they would indeed work. RAM manufacturers may never produce them for DDR4 since literally only AMD Threadripper users (niche) would potentially be after them.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Tom's hardware also has a whole section dedicated to industrial hardware market, so makes sense for them.

17. Vincenzo

Vincenzo New Member

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon RX 560
    But... we can't compare this CPU to Intel Xeon (or AMD Epyc..).. They are born for different ambient, they even have a different market system, and you can't compare the threadripper street price, again xeon amazon price.... Is like to compare x86/x64 for pc, again arm for mobile... make no sense, don't matter if the reviewer have or not have access to this system.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also besides Intel has no CPUs in their W line of Xeons that would be in the consumer/prosumer grade that would be remotely close to the 3990x any way. From my understanding the only Intel CPU that is even in the ball park is one of them Intel data center CPUs that cost like $14K and that CPU isn't even meant for the Consumers/Prosumers.

19. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 2060 Gaming-Z
    Holy... moly.

Suddenly I feel very puny with my old 2683 v3 - wich has held up very well to be honest.

As always nice review Hilbert :)

Maybe it's finally time to upgrade this workhorse hmmmm.
    I think I can hold out another year or so... lots of new tech coming so.. might as well hold out a little longer and pay a little less then the current prices hehe :D

20. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    Thanks for explanation.. Its a bit PITA that market so divide to normal and server stuff.. it sometimes even for normal user make sense cherrypick some server product to use.

If Intel will not send some server stuff what about some system manufactures? Lets say that price of this threadripper machine is just 6k $.. so ask them to borrow you best Intel system to same money, it could be good publicity for them.. If will not Intel ban them for it :( Or maybe use some Guru3D fan has own company or system to compare.. thats nice on Phoronix that you just and run same test even on your own HW.. and submit them to compare.

Update:
    Yeah Anandtech did what i wanted..