Review: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For our fourth and final Ryzen 7000 review, we look at the 12-core Ryzen 9 7900X. A processor that will be less popular due to its somewhat unusual core configuration, but make no mistake, it is a gam...

Review: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X processor

2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Damn this thing flies.
    Wish I could go AM5 like I wanted too.

Thanks for all of those AM5 reviews.
    Has too have been really busy past few days.

3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    If I were upgrading, which I am not. .... This would be my choice to upgrade with.

I need the productivity performance, but my 5900x is doing fine for now.

tunejunky likes this.
  4. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I've calm down a bit after blowing up on my team for stupid stuff at work today, and I've re-read all the Zen 4 reviews here again.

At productivity and most games, all the Zen 4 are at the top of the heap, except for some games where it ties at 1080p.

At 1440p and up, the selected games here are GPU limited.

I also look at the Linux based reviews where Zen 4 7950 and 7900 basically destroyed ADL at almost everything. That was a huge eye opener.

Value PER core, this is BETTER than 7700x or 7600x.

If not for the costs of DDR5-6000CL30 and new MB, all new system buyers should consider the Zen 4 CPU with cores to match their usage. IPC wise it is amazing and those PBO frequencies are amazing too.

My concerns are overall platform costs being WAY too high and maybe more in-depth OC tweaking is required including undervolting and RAM OC like, getting the CL down to 28 or 26 or lower. Would have been amazing to see undervolting and getting the 7600-7900 to PBO up to the same as the 7950 for example. I am sure there is a way to get close unless those chiplets have been relentlessly binned already.

I feel there is a lot of power left on the table but the rush to publish reviews these days have left it to set all core OC, measure the heat and be done with it.

I'm still gonna wait for the 7x00X3D, the one CPU to rule them all!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022

5. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Must be a mistake? Because 15 -20 seconds is still a lot compared to actual boot times.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

How long my x570 takes. I never use fast boot.

7. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Then my aorus master X570 must be some kind of rocket because it boots in 3 - 4 sec WITHOUT fast boot.

I also see another problem in other reviews:
    Was resuming from sleep tested? Did it take a lot of time?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Fediuld likes this.
  8. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    I have X570 Taichi and not using fast boot. It takes 3-4 seconds to log into windows 10 (MP600 on PCIe 3.0) and 2 seconds into Linux (980 Pro on Pcie 4.0, Clear Linux with xanmod) with the 5900X.
    Booting in Linux is actually very difficult to measure as the login screen appears almost instantly after the Asrock logo.

9. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    My 2950X takes about 20 seconds to boot normally; I thought that was due to having Intel PCI based storage installed, and the initialisation time that required.

Looks as though I'll be building two systems - one based on the 7950X and the other based on 7600X (perhaps); both will be custom water but purchased sometime after the release of RDNA3 so I can pick up a couple of those too.

If I leave it a while, it'll allow some time for prices to settle and any teething issues to surface and settle - plus, I by then I might actually be able to get some decent RAM!

10. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I'll give you my 5900x and system for the 7900x as a trade since there are no results for the 5900x with cinebench r23 lol!!! I am just glad there isn't a difference at my current res of 2k, to be honest!

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    My friend got himself Assrock mobo AM5 and this. Coming up from 2600x it's going to be quite an upgrade. For ram I think he got 5800mhz cl35....

He wanted for productivity and gaming so this made sense.

Embra likes this.
  12. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Assuming that the 5800x/3d were run with ddr4 3600...I find 4k gaming on these new chips a bit underwhelming, If your running a gen 1 or 2 Ryzen then it may be worth it but from someone who already has a 5800x with ddr4 4000 cl15 and games at 4k 60hz....my system is enough until motherboard and ddr5 prices become worth the jump...maybe a year or 2.

13. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Like Hardware unboxed said: 7900X doesn't make sense at this price - just buy an 7950X if you really want the new gen from AMD...
    Here availability is not a problem - you can find all the AMD new CPU's in every store on stock but AMD is living in a different world it seems with these prices keeping in mind that you need a new platform.
    I get that there are research costs, manufacturing costs, PROFIT but still...
    I also don't see any reviews...like there was when ZEN 3 was launched - totally crazy I woke up at the first hour and hit the refresh button on the hope to get one with reviews starting to appears on stores from the first day. It seems that there are not a lot of people buying them - maybe that will make AMD decrease their PROFIT a little.

Instead of the starting of the pandemic when availability dictated the prices now it should be finally the consumer who dictate them by deciding to buy...or not at these prices.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    750 euros in France, totally skipping this generation as 5900X is still absolutely relevant.
    It would have taken a much more competitive pricing for me to even consider it, 200-250 euros less ?

What's even weirder is that the price of the 5900X hasn't even changed since i bought it 2 years ago.

Why_Me and Embra like this.
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Absolutely. 5900x is still very much relevant but prices did come down at some point it was cheaper than 5800x3d then went up again.

cucaulay malkin and XenthorX like this.

16. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Amazon has the 5900x on sale for $368! Free shipping!!

USA

Valken and cucaulay malkin like this.
  17. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    well my 5800x3d is a rock solid performance, hope they will get the 7900ish x3d variant.

Valken and Maddness like this.
  18. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
  19. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Strix 4090
    Just today received a special sales notice from Micro Center giving away FREE 32GB of DDR5 with any purchase of a Ryzen 7000 series CPU. I wonder if AMD is sponsering such a sales push and this early in the game? Giving away a $190 value is a big deal in the trying times of today!

Micro.jpg

Maddness, H83, Embra and 2 others like this.
  20. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    A shame Micro Center does not sell online. There is not a store anywhere close to me.
    I do not use them as a price comparison since they are not wide spread.

Good deal though on top of their low pricing.