Guru3D Content Review: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    @ hardreset what kind of RAM are you running to get 3800CL14!?

I was looking at 5800X, now 5600X due to scalper prices, and the Asus X570 Prime, not pro, the cheaper one...

Need to look the absolute best bang for the buck these days as the scalping has seriously affected many to consider downgrading their upgrade plans.

2. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    G-Skill 2X8-3600 CL15
    / B-Die Trident Z.
    X470 - B450 will work fine, as long as you have no fear and know what your doing, my Ram was not on the list for my MB.

3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I have B-Die from teamgroup , but my mobo refuses CL15 , no matter which lattency , i can set 14 or 16 , 15 ... nope . (Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite). So 3800 CL 16 best option :D

4. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    I'm on Intel atm, but can recommend F4-3200C14D-32GTZ. Running them with 8086k at 3800 14-14-14-28@1.536V. Voltage may be little high for some, and on AMD could be lower, maybe, but it is what it is. Proper airflow to never get them above 48 degree.
    There can be cheaper options though.
    Aaand 32gb really is not needed, but ds memory benefits both Ryzen and Intel.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020

5. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    OH damn...just picked a Ryzen 7 5800x from scan....£429, funny thing is....when i checked yesterday they had no stock.

ryzen 5800x.....check
    Rtx 3070...........check
    Msi x570 Unity.check

New extra fast nvme pci-e 4x4 drive....next.

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    As happy as i am with my 5800x/Msi x570 Unify combo....the extra cost and loss over my 3800x/Asus prime x570pro was not worth it for the extra few fps but what's done is done, with that said....my idle temps are 10c lower, although my loaded max temp has gone up too, instead of high 60`s i now get low 80`s .......centigrade that is.

Well at least the buyer of my 3800x/x5700 got a bargain for £400.

7. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Having overclocked, if you can call 200Mhz or so an overclock rather than an optimisation, the overclocking in this article is not the way to go about it with Zen3. You should not just set an all core multiplier and up the voltages. That is old skool intel technique...

It's about undervolting for multi cores v upping the limit for single.

My 5800 does 5050MHz single and 4675 to 4725 all core this way.

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    reaching 4.9 Ghz here on my 1-day old 5800X with a negative curve optimizer. So far stable, I will try to push it down further, maybe I can get that "magical" 5.0 on this chip without crashing...

Also: wow this thing is fast... didn't thing a gen-2-gen uplift will be so significant, but it is ! Easily 25%+ vs my previous 3700X

9. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Noticed the same thing upgrading from a 3800X to the 5800X, this thing is an absolute monster. My FPS improved a lot with very CPU sensitive games like CSGO and generally the latency is cut down pretty significantly.

It’s insane what AMD achieved on the same 7nm process just by optimising the architecture.

10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Single core you can go above 5Ghz , not that it matters on performance much , more like for the benchmarks . After tweaking the crap out of my 5600X i run now with undervolt and PBO disabled. Performance is 100% stock but i have like 10C or more less and wattage droped by 30%.

It is very weird that these Zen3 CPUs are highly overvolted at stock . its like AMD pushed voltages high just to be safe they are stable in case you get bad bin or something .

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    It's hard to describe it correctly, but everything feels "smoother". I doubt I have more frames, since my GPU is not really top notch anymore, but they are coming at a more regular pace.

It's like some older games (which I play) suffered from moving their threads between CCX-es, causing microstutters, and now they are gone.
    I also noticed temporary stuttering when loading a new level, or changing the area in an RPG... just for a second or two, and now those are gone ! (I got used to them didn't bother me, but the fact itself that is not happening anymore simply from changing the CPU... is quite amazing).

I can imagine people going from Zen 1,Zen+ (1000 and 2000 series) to this would be even more flabbergasted about their new computer smoothness ... beside the massively increased performance.

---
    I hope it works well for the years to come, I really see no reason for any more upgrades in the next year or two... maybe in three there will be something that is worth changing the entire platform.