1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    because the CPUID sdk is questionably stable.

2. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Can that control my fans that are plugged into the Commander Pro?

Also @kakiharaFRS you're a legend. By unticking the Enable SDK option my idle voltage now drops to 1.05-1.25; though it still can spike up to 1.4 when I move my mouse but it's a massive improvement nonetheless!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    disabling that option disables cpuid sdk, so that works out fine too. forgot it was an option.

bballfreak6 likes this.
  4. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Haha now I see what you're trying to say.

So I tried different mouse polling rate to see if it has an effect on idle voltage as it spikes when I move my mouse and sure enough by dropping polling rate to 500Hz voltage stays mostly around ~1.1V with spikes to 1.2-3V and the very occasional jump to 1.4V; dropping it to 250Hz pretty much ensures it staying below 1.25V all the time (mostly hangs around 1.05-1.15V).

Update: on Reddit someone suggested changing settings under Ryzen Balanced power plan to min processor state at 5% and maximum at 99% and now even at full 1000Hz polling rate idle voltage now stays at ~0.98V.

Update 2: doing so seems to drop my boost clock quite a bit running Cinebench R20 from ~3.95GHz sustained to 3.5GHz.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    using a 99% maximum fully disables boosting though.

6. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Yea it appears that way I've put it back up to 100%. I think SDK setting + lowering mouse polling rate is the best method so far in dropping idle voltage while having iCue in the background...I am not competitive gamer so I'm not really noticing difference lowering polling rate. In saying that in-game (Witcher 3) the CPU still boosted to my usual 4.275GHz even with the 99% Max setting which was interesting.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Gone from a 6700K to a 3800X and I'm quite happy with my choice. I get better FPS in several CPU hungry games where my 6700K would bottleneck my 2080Ti.

Wow, you've got a golden chip for sure. So you haven't OCd per CCX? If I leave HWInfo running I have seen one core boost to 4550MHz but this never happens in games (where it matters for me). The CPU typically runs at 4325-4350Mhz (all-core) when playing WoW for example.

Which mobo and AGESA are you running atm?

I hate that iCUE PoS so much!! I've battled with it for hours yesterday trying to find a way to save DPI/lightning profile on my Ironclaw mouse but I have no idea how to do it.

Anyway, iCUE is the only program that doesn't allow my CPU to idle down to as low as 0,2v. I'll try the SDK thing since I don't really use it tbh.

You run the fans at a fixed speed all the time? I would want to change the fan speeds based on the game I play. WoW for example doesn't need as much cooling as TD2.

Since you've only got a 1070, I can understand your choice but personally I'm really happy with the switch from 6700K to 3800X. The difference is huge in games like AC:Odyssey, Anthem, SotTR. I also feel I have more even FPS with less lows. Also my 2080Ti is able to really stretch its legs now and not be bottlenecked by the 6700K.

8. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Nah I use a custom curve via iCue/Commander Pro. My PC is more or less whisper quiet pretty much all times and that's with 5x LL 120 fans and a Silent Wing fan on the Dark Rock Slim. I only hear it when the room is silent; if I am doing anything be it movies, music or games I don't notice it at all.

Also definitely try the SDK option as suggested by kakiharaFRS (and in my case dropping polling rate also as I am using a Corsair mouse) my idle voltage mostly stays somewhere around 1.05V now.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    What case do you have? I thought the LL120s were not performing well at all in my old Lian-Li O11 Dynamic. I tried some Fractal Design X2 GP-12 fans and I could really feel the wind from the fans when holding my hand whereas the LL120s hardly move any air at all.

10. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    I have the Corsair 500D SE RGB case (the one with tempered glass panel). 3 front intake and 2 top pushing air out. Originally was going to have just the 3 fans at the front (which came stock) and 1 fan pushing air out back of the case of but the VRM heatsink on my motherboard is too big and the fan was literally squeezing against it so decided to mount it up top (and got an extra fan while I was at it for aesthetics lol).

11. foetopsyRus

foetopsyRus Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    if you measured earlier the program will have to remeasure, so as not to be misleading 8700ะบ
    [​IMG]

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Impressive. That case must have a dust filter that isn't too dense.

13. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Yea it's a nice case. Looks good and fairly easy to build in. Even for someone like me that rarely build PC's (last one was over 6 years ago) I managed to put it together pretty well. Reminds me I should put up some pics of the build sometimes lol.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Oh i am sure there is nice boost just looking at cpubenchmarks site the 3800x runs all over 6700k and according to that is faster stp then 9900k but vs 6700k the 3800x is huge jump. i just dont want build new system just yet.

I can get the 3800x and 5xx mobo for 500$ at microcenter but the mobo would be worse then my current mobo . at lest feature wise on the onboard audio. and I pretty much take everything else out of my current pc.

Netherwind likes this.
  15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Late reply, as I've went to a short trip outdoors.
    Solid processor, solid review.
    Another typos somehow managed to escape
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn
    Hope that you caught some rest ( you seriously need some rest) get those typos
    Just trying to help you.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Why do you need to be brutally hinest like that? :p

17. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Hey Netherwind, my motherboard is the Asrock X470 Taichi. I have not bothered with overclocking with my 3800X, as I just don't see the need. The CPU is plenty fast at stock settings for now.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Do post pics if you're proud of your build :) It's always interesting to see how it turned out.

You could always check out a X470 mobo? That's what I got at least and so far it seems like a good choice.

Yep, overclocking should be your least concern since your CPU is OCing just nice on its own. I managed a 4,4GHz all-core OC but PBO & AutoOC (+200) does around 4,3GHz on its own so I guess that's where I am at the moment.

bballfreak6 likes this.
  19. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Haha yea still thinking if I should get some custom cable extensions for the 24 pin and PCIe 6+2 and need to retake pic of backside of case since I originally had a couple fugly red sata cables before finding black ones which I've since replaced them with lol.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Not quite true :) I did manage to get that 4,4GHz all-core OC, I just need to bump up the Vcore ever so slightly. This would mean a 100-150MHz increase in games :)