1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Zippozippo

Zippozippo New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I think 3900X is just the way to go if you can afford it, 12c/24t is futureproof no matter which angle youre looking at,even with minus 5fps out of 125 fps from 9900K, heck I can live with that,and I dont play at 1080p let alone 720p.

2. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    With future gpu's, you will get the same scenario that some games will be cpubound in 1440p+. So what then?

Then 3900x is not futureproof, because 15-20% slower in some cpuintensive games. 1440p is the new 1080p with future gpu's. Even with 2080ti now.

9900k is soon 1 year old, so it's not smart to buy that cpu either for "future gaming", and it's not smart to buy 3900x that IS slower than 9900k in gaming.

Both cpu's sux in different ways :D

Buy Ryzen 3600 with a used x370 MB IS smart and value for the money. ;)

-------

Intel 7980xe direct die cooled was futureproof if you bought it at day 1. Epic performance in gaming AND everything else. -if you can afford it :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    I saw the screen shot of 1.48V at 3800Mhz Dats a lot of V core! for 3800? I guess the money saved could buy a nice custom loop to lower the V core, but no overclocking? I get sick of seeing AMD this and AMD that, when we are supposed to be an Enthusiast site, people who over clock. Yet were shown none of the 4600Mhz CPU'S that were advertised by AMD, and no one seems to be bent about it? I'm not trying to flame here, I am trying to cause discussion about these very issue's(which to me are deal breakers). I'm sure ill get a warning or a ban for not seeing the light like and the other people here, then again I wont be following you over Niagara Falls Either!!!

4. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    It appears that the only CPU out of the 3700X, 3800X, and 3900X that is actually boosting to its advertised speed or higher is the 3800X. Mine hits 4.55-4.65 on its own, and every other 3800X seems to also be hitting at least the advertised 4.5 speed without overclocking. Aura89 is also a 3800X owner, and his hits 4.5 at stock as well. The 3700X is limited by its 65 watt TDP, and I think AMD should have made it a 90 watt part instead. They could have just done this, and then there would be no need for the 3800X to exist. I bet that future AGESA updates will cause the 3800X to pull further ahead of the 3700X in performance. AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB has already slightly reduced the speed of the 3700X.

Aura89, kakiharaFRS and jaggerwild like this.

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Seeing as all the AMD chips are unlocked, there's nothing stopping anyone from putting a 90W limit on the 65W CPU's ?
    ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    HandR likes this.
  6. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Yea I am on ABB with the newest chipset driver and my biggest issue right now is in combination with Corsair iCue. Even before ABB if I turn off iCue idle voltage drops to 1.1-1.2V. I've also noticed since updating to ABB I am getting WHEA errors again (but ID 20 variety and not the ID 17 that people's been getting I've only ever seen ID 20 on my setup); I seemed to have stop getting them when I first updated to newest chipset driver but since updating to ABB it's starting to show up again.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you shouldn't keep icue running anyway.

8. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    if it's any help to Corsair peripherals users
    I found recently why iCue used 8-9% of my cpu making the cpu run at max clock non-stop
    go in settings and uncheck "enable SDK" it's what using the cpu so much, after disabling it iCue only uses 1.0-1.2% of my cpu allowing it to downclock to 800Mhz (intel)

Corsair is not the only one with that kind of thing as G.Skill trident z lightning rgb control app does the same if you activate the "music mode" (7% cpu usage)

bballfreak6 likes this.
  9. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    what do you mean ? are you still thinking in the "good old overclocking" manner ? that's not how things work anymore, not for AMD nor nvidia 3700x are inferior cpus that didn't pass the same quality tests at the factory there's no magical overclock that will somehow make them as good as a 3800x
    DerBauer says it Steve from GN says it Jayz2cents says it and most have made videos proving it, that's how it is you buy a cpu or gpu that already runs near it's max and the only way to have more is to go below 0°C
    if that's really what you meant the you could somehow make it as good as a 3800x then I'm not surprised again I have a comparison with cars as people do not want to admit times have changed and still continue to put bigger turbos, E85 and stuff and 100% end up blowing their stock engine, the era of "overclocking" just like SLI is over, it's dead, companies have learned to optimize their sales, maximize their profits and start selling binned versions of cpus at different prices

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  10. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Why is he or she joking? I fudging hate w10 , so many back allies to get to a simple task, so many add on's that creep back after a update, a NET Framework version I cant use and 2 games free from AMD require it before you can use the reward system.

No you are the joke - everybody has to like your taste in matters

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Wat? Its not like people have choices. 7 is obsolete. It wont install on new mobos/CPUs, as MS has ceased support for drivers. You hating Win 10 is irrelevant. For anyone on new hardware, 7 is not an option.

12. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    DECIDING
    I am using win 10 and you can get round it so you can use w7, but its not for everyone. So go and rattle someone else's cage

it was this answer that fired mine - Angushades said ' Windows 7 in 2019 lol, you'd have to be joking right. OMG the public education system has failed so hard...

13. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Windows 10 LTSC is the only Windows 10 I will use.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Re-read my post, and specifically what I replied to.
    Then you won't have to ask what I mean. ;)

edit : I've gone and bolded it to help.

15. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    So when is AMD coming with an cpu that beats the OLD overclocked 7980xe in everything? Like rendering AND gaming/latencysensitiv programs?

[​IMG]

16. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Why? My fans are controlled by the Commander Pro so wouldn't I need it running? Also lighting side of things.

Thanks for that info! Will test it out when I get home.

17. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Shouldn't you be comparing to Threadripper?
    Its still the wrong thread.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    They'll never go away....

So, how much does Intel pay you to shill for them?

19. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I just got myself a copy of same, I'll take the leap off of 7 here this fall when I got nothing to do. I don't want to but it's time.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think this look to be the better deal then 9900k. I really am tempted to just make new system even though my personal 6700k will be fine for the next 2 years or so