Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    :D Yay, you just reminded me of funny thing:

Some people were angry on AMD for thinking that releasing product in week of 4th of July was a good idea.
    :D

So many products.
    Good CPU, not enough threads. Same as with my old i5-2500k @4.5GHz. If you have stutter while CPU is maxed, then you can get rid of it by any CPU from last few generations or this one that has 6 or more cores.

If there is no noticeable stutter, then it only limits your maximum fps. At the end I had so much stutter that I had to use RTSS to limit fps way under what I could achieve otherwise.

Aura89 likes this.
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    What!........Why not have a 7700k/6700k/4790k in the review?....

Yet an i5 6600 is there?.....A lot of people own these....You are bias...

If you really put me on ignore you will not reply because you won't see it.

3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    I knew that when I bought it (cheaped out; no denying there) and didn't have a problem with it until I started playing ACC, which is badly optimized to begin with and very heavy on the CPU. It's not like it runs at 100% all of the time, but it cycles through 80-90% usage and once every minute it will jump a frame or two and thankfully their latest hotfix helped a bit, but I'm obviously in need of an AMD first aid kit.

Fox2232 likes this.
  4. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    The biggest issue with gaming I see is you get better performance from an i5 9600K for $250. i7 9700K is even better. The 6 core Ryzens need to be $200 or less to be appealing for gaming since they likely won't perform as good as the 9600K still. Overclocking and voltage was really sad. These chips are clearly for server applications, but it is what it is.

5. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    Love the review, now I am even more indecisive about my next CPU purchase. :D

Question though, that SOC Voltage looks pretty high? Is that normal for these new chips or bios issue? 1.4-1.45

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The 3600 is supposed to be $200.
    I gotta say though, you're a bit delusional if you think CPUs should be priced only based on gaming performance. If that's not what you were implying then you'd realize the 3600 or 3600X is going to readily outperform the 9600K in almost everything that isn't gaming related.

carnivore, Mesab67 and Aura89 like this.
  7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Thanks but I meant whatever the next revision is, hence the +. Their current beta BIOS for my board isn't even usable from what I've heard.

But it is interesting to know I don't even need anything installed on the board to flash the BIOS. That's new to me.

8. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Server application? I saw a pretty big difference going from a 4 cores and 4 threads Core i5 to a 8 cores and 16 threads 1800x in my workstation. Almost night and day. I'm temped to upgrade it to a 3700x.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  9. Tomatone

Tomatone Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 580 8GB
  10. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    DAMMIT! i was up late yesterday hoping to be the first to post memes and stuff. not i wake up and land on page seven. POOP

Anyway, here is a gif of me after reading the reviews. More to come
    [​IMG]

11. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    Great show was that.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn did you happen to keep track of how often the processors boosted to their maximum advertised clock speed? Other reviewers are saying their samples never reached the advertised speeds. I wonder if future bios updates could make this more consistent and improve performance

Embra and Ricardo like this.
  13. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    Ah well, ordered the 3600X as that was all I could get my hands on atm. Wife can use an upgrade from her 4690k when I get my hands on a 3900X. Should be here Wednesday. :)

Still curious about that SOC Voltage though, guess I'll find out sooner or later.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I just want to throw in the note (after watching a review from a certain socks + sandals wearing scoundrel) that there might be some, I don't want to say big, but notable performance to be gained. Apparently nothing is making proper use of the CCD structure and causing the ol' 1 core here 1 core there problem so the data is transferred between CCDs when not necessary causing slowdowns. 10 fps gained in BF5 at 1080p with ultra settings, 151 going to 161. I'll take every shred of possible good news I can get.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about what the result will be after some BIOS and Windows updates. Hopefully Microsoft's update doesn't wipe my data for the lulz like last time.

Edit: Correction. Initially wrote CCX, this info was referring to the entire dies.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    This has been a major problem since Threadripper was first released. The Windows scheduler is pretty... dumb, to say the least. It was ideal back in the days when a quad core CPU took up more silicon than 8 of today's cores, where it helped spread out some of the temperature for boosted cores under high load. But now that isn't so necessary anymore, and for AMD anyway it causes some performance regressions. It seems other OSes don't have this problem.
    The part I find especially irritating is how MS doesn't seem to care. It's really not hard for them to fix but they just won't do it.

carnivore likes this.

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    This processor is amazing for the price, each generation its lovely improvements. IPC is totally there, i'd have been great if it OC'd a little more, as in some tasks that is the one disadvantage going for this chip right now, that being said muti-threaded workloads it tears through them like a hot knife to melted butter.

I'm interested to see if a new bios update as well as faster memory makes a huge difference to these new chips, as well as how the 3950x does on these tests, be also interesting to see what intel does both cpu and gpu wise... it's been such a long time since i've seen this level of competition in the tech world, i love it.

gives me a good excuse at work to build in my head my new pc :p come on we all do that right?

RyuzakiL and m4dn355 like this.
  17. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Funny to see all the Intel guys keeps harping on about gaming performance and overclocking ability (or lack thereof) but fail to mention a lower clocked, lower priced 3700X is pretty much on par with the 9900K with everything else.

I for one am super excited about upgrading my 4770K to a 3700X not as much for gaming (which I feel is still fine on the 4770K) but the improvements it will make to programs such as Photoshop/Lightroom etc.

18. TestDriver

TestDriver Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti, C49HG90
    Great review, thx!

Seems like I finally will upgrade my 3570K :)

19. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Who is buying an R9 3900X ?

20. TestDriver

TestDriver Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti, C49HG90
    I'm seriously thinking about the 3900x, very tempting