Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Well der8auer isn't new to killing crap.

None issue for me too except it kills my desire to overclock lol. However it looks like i might need to get into undervolting as with all AMD products they push through far to much voltage.

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Color me stupid but where are the 3800Xs? Did I miss something about it's launch? Cannot find it anywhere. 3700X is still to be had but 3800X is a no show. Why?

Was not really interested in overclocking the cpu this time around. Figured the improvements would be enough to not consider it an option.

RyuzakiL and -Tj- like this.
  3. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    It's not a revolution and AMD has never said it would be either. People have to stop believing in everything that comes out of youtubers' mouths!

Overall they are good CPUs, they donĀ“t beat Intel across the board, but they are extremely competitive and that's the most important thing!

sykozis likes this.
  4. Ricardo

Ricardo Active Member

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    My thoughts exactly. The one thing I need to know is if the 3800x is better than the 3700x in a meaningful way, since apparently overclocking is not worth it with these procs.

Still, I'll probably buy the 3700x simply because the performance is already good enough.

Aura89 likes this.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yeah I also thought there will be a 3800X in reviews.. maybe it would make 3700X too weak? :D

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    3800x seems to not have been included in the review samples, at least not yet.

That being said, a 3800x in many scenarios (such as gaming) will have similar results to a 3900x, possibly slightly higher, possibly slightly lower, considering the base frequency is higher then a 3900x, but the boost frequency is lower. But given the fact it doesn't seem the boost frequencies of 4.6 seem to realistically be happening, i'd say a 3800x will be marginally faster in everything that doesn't utilize 12 cores/24 threads then the 3900x, but very, very slightly marginally.

So my suggestion is, look at the 3900x results, and see if those results would be adequate for your needs, and know that if you are basing your purchase on something that will utilize more cores, the 3900x will be better.

7. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    want one
    Linus makes a good point in his video about running OBS in the background (I am even tough 5 people view my videos lol) nowadays a lot of people stream or make videos

thats said the motherboard is going to be tough for me..I want 10Gbit and this far I only saw 1 and here it's 835$ :eek:
    I guess there are cheaper MB but it makes the choice from 3900x to 3700x pretty obvious, when the MB is more expensive than the cpu buying a "cheaper" cpu to spare money would be pretty dumb

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not sure linking someone elses review directly in the forum about guru3ds review is that...courteous? we'll see if a mod removes it.

That being said i don't know where you live, but it's likely cheaper and just as good to buy a much much cheaper motherboard that doesn't have 10Gbit, and buy 10Gbit PCI-Express card.

Such as this

https://www.newegg.com/asus-xg-c100c/p/N82E16833320272?Description=10gb ethernet&cm_re=10gb_ethernet-_-33-320-272-_-Product

Or this

https://www.newegg.com/intel-x540t2/p/N82E16833106083?Description=10gb ethernet&cm_re=10gb_ethernet-_-33-106-083-_-Product

Backstabak and schmidtbag like this.
  9. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti MSI
    Finally AMD brings the fight to Intel and it is great!
    It is not the "nuclear bomb" that some channels forecasted but is is finally a solid alternative to intel best.
    I particularly liked from other reviews the performance in adobe photoshop - finally intel was beaten in a software optimized for it and this only because of the increase in IPC (raw power)!
    I will wait until September for the 3950X - it will most certainly power my next workstation. I am also happy that there is no performance difference between x470 and x570 CPU related - I don't care for pcie 4.0.

Once again great job AMD!

thesebastian likes this.
  10. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Although ironically the memory bandwidth is not hurting the 12 core... it's bitch slapping Threadripper 2920X right off the chart. with around 15-30%.

Ricardo and Evildead666 like this.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't expect the memory bandwidth to hurt the 16 core either. Maybe in very select situations, in which that'll be up to the individual person to see if quad-channel setup and etc. will be the better solution for them, but this seems to be something that has been said a multiple times the last few years, that hasn't really shown to be true whenever its been stated, for the most part.

Ricardo likes this.
  12. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    A question for those with more knowledge than myself. Is the 3700X likely to be a massive upgrade for me since I currently have a 4790K@4.6? I game at 3440x1440 on a 120hz monitor with a 1080 Ti. I've been holding off on an upgrade for quite a while now, but I think this summer is my time to build. Anyone have some thoughts? It's tough to find benchmarks that include my old hardware for comparison. I'm thinking since I game at a pretty high resolution that any Intel clock speed advantage would not really matter, even with their higher end stuff. Am I right?

airbud7 likes this.
  13. Ufozile

Ufozile New Member

GPU:
    RTX2080
    Great stuff from AMD this. Looks like it's a good time for me to finally upgrade from my old 3770K.

@Hilbert Hagedoorn , it would be interesting to see results from a gaming oriented benchmark like the Civilization 6 AI Benchmark. Is that something you could consider doing in future CPU reviews?

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'd say yes, for the quad-core factor alone. Due to your high 4.6Ghz frequency, there could, MAYBE be some places a 3700x would actually have lower performance, but honestly i really doubt that, especially if you've installed all the security updates (if available). I'd have to see exactly how a 4790K @ 4.6Ghz IPC rating actually is to say that with any amount of absolute though. I really don't see a 3700x losing in any scenario to a 4790K even at 4.6Ghz

I mean even at worst, the 3700x will boost into 4.3ish GHz, and with the higher IPC of the 3700x, that should be better performance then 4.6Ghz Haswell IPC. This means, at worst, you'd be getting double the processor, at worst.

I'd say if you want more exactness, do some tests on your CPU that are included in this review, and compare them. Obviously everything won't be 100% comparable, as they are different setups, but you should be able to get an idea.

HandR and Fox2232 like this.
  15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    "Today is the 7th day of the 7th month and it's time for a review of these 7nm products."
    Poetry right there

rflair and thesebastian like this.

16. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Thank you for your review HH,i enjoyed reading it :) maybe with later AGESA microcode updates there may still be i little more performance to be had . I will probably give the 3700x ago and finely replace my 6700k, as i game @ 1440p i think this a good choice for me ,the money a save will go on 32gb of ram instead of the 16gb .

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Linus is comedian and very specific type of geek. That makes his videos sometimes annoying, sometimes valuable. He did some complementary tests to Hilbert's set.
    Like R6:Siege ...score? Game performance during reasonably set streaming settings. And game threads locking to specific set of cores.
    In other words he focused less on traditional benchmarking and went to fringes of interests to limit his redundancy. (Pretty smart, I say.)

18. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Thanks! I think moving away from quad core is my main goal. I've seen some massive drops and nearly outright freezes in games like BFV that just brings the action to a halt accompanied by extreme CPU spikes in my Afterburner monitoring. With all the IPC gains made by AMD since my 4790K was released I think I'm probably looking at better performance all around with something like a 3700X. The price of the 3700X is super attractive too. I'll probably wait to see reviews on the rest of the 3000 lineup, but I'll probably be picking up an AMD CPU this year regardless.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Was thinking about the 3900x, but the 3700x looks just as good, and im only a gamer (@ 3440x1440) so... :D

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    So no one answered me because no one knows for sure, but what do you guys think are the odds are that MSI will update their X470 boards when Zen 2+ rolls around? Has MSI been known to be good with updates in the past? That and there is going to be a Zen 2+ right?

Guru3D is the first place I check for reviews on product launch. Every product I've bought based on Hilbert's reviews has always delivered exactly what he wrote, except in the case where Gigabyte pulled a fast one with a bait and switch "revision", but that's obviously not the reviewer's fault. They swapped the VRAM on the GTX 970 for crap resulting in a minimum of 1GHz lost IIRC. I didn't know at the time Gigabyte do that with revisions of their gear.

That I like the structure of the reviews here better than anywhere else. Clean/clear, and to the point.

thesebastian, lmimmfn and 386SX like this.