1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sorry but this is pure fabrication unless you're able to, you know, actually provide stats about this. Gamers nexus even in their 3600 review stated they are reviewing the 3700x and 3900x, and in a previous "status update" or whatever you want to call some of their youtube videos they have stated how busy they are because of all the reviews, including the 3000 series, they have had to be doing. That was posted 2 days ago.

Are there some companies that didn't get review samples? Sure. Why? Who knows, your speculations however are simply BS. Not everyone gets reviews.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yes, we get it - you've made your point. You've stated more than enough that it doesn't OC well. Considering how variable the results are on a brand new product, it's to be expected that stability will improve over time.

Move on.

sykozis and Aura89 like this.
  3. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    Their sample was provided by a third party they made this clear. That's the only reason they were able to do the 3600 at launch.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Where? provide your information.

Direct from their 3600 review:

"We noticed that, interestingly, our R9 3900X and R7 3700X overclocked with much lower voltage requirements than our R5 3600."

5. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1147862614443286528

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's for their 3600, which yes even in the article they state

"We got a production sample of one of the R5 3600 CPUs through a third-party"

No one else seems to have gotten a 3600 CPU either, i don't see a review here, or anywhere, that's not production samples floating around the world.

And that's not the question that you are obviously avoiding.

The question is where does gamer nexus state they did not get a 3700x and 3900x for review, of which were the (at least first) CPUs sent out for reviews? That's what you stated, right here:

Of which Gamers Nexus, doesn't ever state, anywhere, and even make statements like shown above:

"We noticed that, interestingly, our R9 3900X and R7 3700X overclocked with much lower voltage requirements than our R5 3600."

Actually if you view their video, they show the 3600 taped over, a 3700x and a 3900x all sitting next to eachother........good job bud.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    AlmondMan, TestDriver and Ricardo like this.
  7. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    The take away from all of this is that unless you are buying a 9900k(s) specifically to of the snot out of it there is no need to buy an intel proc.

Backstabak, RyuzakiL and Aura89 like this.
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Jeeeezus .. what it the GN thread or my Ryzen 3000 review thread? GN was at tech day, the received samples, and if you bothered to read their front page they have been too busy and focussed on the 3600 instead. Back on topic now, on our review. I am not asking again.

9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    HH your hard work paid off, excellent review.

These chips are excellent, the OC is disappointing but for the price, great cpus.

Aura89 likes this.
  10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    @jwb1
    Mate, we go it.
    Thanks for keeping us safe from AMD's "wrongdoing".
    1: Don't like AMD, please buy Intel.
    2: Not everyone overclocks, there are so many things to consider, productivity wise.
    3:Have more accurate information? Please provide in a clear, professional manner.
    4:We can read between lines, and until now some mods are really keen to know your next move.
    5: Chill out lad, not everything in life is about some GHZ gained in overclocking.
    6:Nothing personal, but I like the academic relaxed tone of this forum. Overzealous gurus tend to get my attention the wrong way.

For gaming ONLY Intel delivers, at premium prices (CPU+platform).
    AMD Offers all minus some performance gaming wise.
    Money are tight, buy what you can afford/like.
    Cheers,

Toadstool, RyuzakiL, sykozis and 5 others like this.

11. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070ti
    So from what we have seen so far how is the 3700x shaping up? ALSO WHEM CAN i BUY ONE?

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Seems to be more-or-less consistent with the leaks. Solid gains overall, and beating Intel in IPC is a major accomplishment. The only thing needed is higher clock speeds, which should arrive as 7nm matures.

I'm just waiting for the 3950X. It should be a massive step up from my 1800X, for both ST and MT. I'll be keeping my X470 board, but will upgrade to X570 if the opportunity arises (if my board happens to break or I need to build another system).

As someone who uses his CPUs to compute, I rarely overclock - the extra performance is not worth the extra heat and potential instability. Features like PBO also make manual overclocks largely redundant, and the amount of time I would need to fine-tune things could be time used to compute cures for diseases.

Much like water-cooling, overclocking was a much bigger deal back in the old days. Overclocking a Celeron 300A to 450 was huge (made a very noticeable difference in games) and water-cooling would cut GPU temps in half (nowadays, the difference is only about 10 degrees). IMO, the only reason to overclock or watercool in the modern age is for the geek factor.

RyuzakiL, airbud7, jura11 and 5 others like this.
  13. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    Does anyone know what AMD meant by there are some restrictions in place until the new bios?

[​IMG]

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    AMD is smart enough to provide updates and tweaks to AGESA microcode, and performance will improve.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    On top of that, I'd be surprised if game scaling with more cores doesn't dramatically improve in the next 2 years. I'm pretty confident the performance when all is said and done is going to be notably higher than release day benchmarks.

Edit: Typo because phones change what you write to troll you.

Toadstool likes this.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Grab coffee

Here we go ...
    Thanks Guru3d in advance !

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    That's to be expected, but it's only theoretically on the Devs mainstream dashboards.
    Nevertheless, AMD brought mainstream 8 cores for us all, it's only natural that software follows the new mainstream hardware trend.

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I liked the PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD test page. It felt like Hilbert was really having fun testing it and writing about it. That makes me think it would be nice if some manufacturer came up with a really weird (but remarkable) piece of hardware he could review. After the thousands of CPUs, GPUs, mobos, and other stuff that have passed through his hands, I imagine he'd always look forward to something that's not just +15% performance increase.

m4dn355 and Mesab67 like this.
  19. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    I'm very satisfied with these results - sure Zen2 is just under coffee lake in a few games but it's very good overall when considering other tasks (a PC isn't just going to be used solely for gaming is it?).

Zen2 powered PC is going to be excellent at multi-tasking heavy workloads, this review has pretty much allowed me to confirm that I will indeed upgrade to a 3700X.

CCL Online have listed the prices for Zen2 CPUs and a 3700X at £320 vs 9900K at £465, that's a saving of £145 for similar performance, good gaming experience, a hell of a lot better than my i5 4690k which my sample is a crap overclocker, and many more cores/threads for better production, video encoding being something I do fairly often (which on this i5, I often do very slow h.264 batches, I have to do overnight).

Thank you very much @Hilbert Hagedoorn for your time and dedication to providing a quality review.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Seems AMD wringed every last mhz out of these CPUs. No worthwhile headroom left for OC'ing.
    Still, complete non-issue for me as the overall package remains far more desirable for me vs Intels offerings.