1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    That's not really how i roll. I might even have to sell the 3700X second hand at a loss then. I'm not in a hurry anyways, i'll just wait it out.

Might have to wait untill 2020 anyways due to B550. I did want to get X470, but i read in other reviews that X470 is giving issues left and right.

Why not X570? I don't want a small fan on my motherboard, unless it only kicks in when you use PCI-E SSDs (which i will not use).

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, I meant it this way. Buying 3800X now is extra $70. Which you can take as additional loss down the road as you would sell 3700X and buy even stronger CPU than 3800X. That's if AMD releases Zen2+.

thesebastian likes this.
  3. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/5

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    People did complain about reviewers being "forced" to make tests around 4th of July... US centrism 101.
    AMD trolled everyone as result by giving gimped BIOS. And everyone will be re-testing.

moo100times and HWgeek like this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Game Nexus had one I believe, AMD sent the 3700's and 3900's but those sourcing their own hardware picked up some of the other models although I think their CPU wasn't the best binned so results could potentially be better although with the info on the Windows scheduler and possible issues, AGESA and voltage and max clocks and possible limits and what the chipset driver or bios or even later updates or builds of Windows 10 could change it'll be interesting to observe how these perform in a few months.

SMT to off seem to help a bit as well depending on how the game or software (Or benchmark software.) is handling the scheduling which I will assume is fairly underwhelming overall going by some of the known issues in some of the current popular titles though it's a good start for Zen2 and the Ryzen 3000's and on the GPU side the start of RDNA and the 5700 and the 5700XT are doing better than expected as well. :)

Though with similar early launch issues and possible improvements to come with later software updates or changes like the early water cooling results and possible a driver limit to clock speeds or what seems to be something like that.

Liking what I'm reading so far but yeah will be interesting to see how user reports and maybe the reviews of any later CPU models or re-reviews of these stack up with fixes in bios and other software and all that though we'll see if it changes anything notably or if it mostly just helps smooth out performance without increasing overclock potential or performance itself unless there's something majorly broken currently which it doesn't seem like even if there are some issues that could probably be improved a bit. :)

EDIT: Hmm two more replies while I was writing this, active topic. :D

EDIT: And here's a new page too, very active topic ha ha.

6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor RX580 8GB
    Be interesting to see a review of the 8 and 12 core CPUs but with SMT disabled.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Very nice CPU's! The 3600X (I know Hilbert has not reviewed this one yet but looking at specs and theses results you can draw a very accurate conclusion) is a massive value in all around performance and will be my go to suggested CPU form sub-$1000 builds. The 3900x is a HEDT CPU moonlighting on a mainstream motherboard. Definitely a budget content creators dream CPU.

Bravo AMD keep it up. Some more frequency and Intel is dead.

But for now I will stick with my 8700k @5.0Ghz. Still if this CPU or Motherboard bites the dust any time soon that 3700x or 3900x look tasty.

Steve at GN did it and in some games it help quite a bit others like AC it hurt.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor RX580 8GB
    Ah - cool. Been at work all day so haven't gotten round to checking out their coverage yet.

I guess Zen2+ will be a pretty great CPU considering how good these are :)

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I swear, one of these days, AMD will get their CPU releases right! :p

But seriously, there always seems to be something amiss when they release a new CPU - whether it's BIOS incompatibilities (requiring a boot kit), Windows scheduling inefficiencies (partly Microsoft's fault but AMD should have pushed them more on it) or a BIOS that doesn't perform to spec. I realize AMD only has so many resources and were probably busy preparing for the release, but first impressions count for a lot, and it doesn't help when their brand new CPU is crippled out of the gate.

10. Neo500

Neo500 New Member

GPU:
    asus rog strix 2080
    The king is dead, Long live the king !!!
    Thx for a Great review :)
    My beloved I7 4770k, it's time to replace you with a younger model. The sex was great , but boring, and btw your cooking sucks !! my feelings.. and love for you is gone… i even had some erotic fantasies about your sister.. sorry.
    Yesterday i dated this fantastic girl, and i was blown away…. what a amazing perfect woman !!! She had the most perfect body, loved to cook, clean..had a Harvard business degree.. and as she said "is being a nympho going to be a problem for you ?" :rolleyes:
    And guess what ? She didn't even ask, or showed any interest in my financial situation...:p
    When can i expect you to be out of the house ?

11. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Looks like i dont need to worry after all, il wait to see what intel bring next year :)
    My 8700k at 4.7ghz all cores will defo last till then :)

airbud7 likes this.
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Will last you another 5 years, unless you're one of those yearly upgraders. Which is honestly throwing away money.

13. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070
    @JOHN30011887 Yep that 8700K doesn't need replacing really, good job to because as for Intels desktop roadmap next year...... effectively nothing interesting at all until 2021/22

JOHN30011887 likes this.
  14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 1500/1075
    You know even in BF5 we can see 161fps. Which would mean that going all low we could see 200fps most likely. Sure it won't look pretty but when my friend was playing counter strike competitive it was 800x600 resolution with 300+ fps. Because competitive is just that.

And it will lose to intel some but alas in competitive gaming it's just fine. It's not as good in few games sure where you can leverage the power of lets say 2080 ti with really high settings like bf5.

15. Hyderz

Hyderz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070ti
    Guys do you think its necessary to buy the recommended/qualified ram from list of vendor for x570 mobo,
    or just buy at random say gskill trident z 32gb 3600mhz ram that the parts number is not listed on the manual?
    Would i run into issues or shud i stick with what the manual recommends?

16. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    With Ryzen you are way better off buying ram on the QVL. Other ram will probably work but it's very possible you'd run into some kind of issue.

Hyderz likes this.
  17. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3
    Will there even be a Zen2+? I read somewhere a while back that there will be in 2020 and it will be the last on AM4 socket.
    But now,seeing more recent road maps they show a jump from zen2 directly to zen3. Did they scratch it or they don't show zen2+ in the road map not to cripple zen2 sales?

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There's no evidence of a Zen 2+, and Zen 3 is supposed to be for 2020.

[​IMG]

I'd say because there's no evidence that anything will significantly change with the next-gen consoles.

Current consoles already have 8 core processors. Considering the speed of those cores doesn't really affect the games ability to utilize more then 4 threads and utilize 8-core processors effectively, then the new consoles with the same amount of cores doesn't change that fact, and game developers will continue to do whatever they want. Now, if these Zen 2 based CPUs in the consoles have 16 threads, this "may" help console developers move into the high core, high thread market, but there's simply no guarantees. Games are obviously getting more multi-threaded every year, but the fact is, if we base our ideas off of the consoles releasing, then we should have had pretty wide 8 (or 7 core) support throughout games since 2013, and that simply hasn't happened.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Thing I like about the 3700x is that its a 65w part (anything above it is 105w). Its the highest perf/watt CPU that is currently available on the planet I believe. Since not much OC headroom (even on water), may as well stick to the Wraith cooler that comes with it, which makes it even better value.

Backstabak, Jagman and airbud7 like this.
  20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You are confusing TDP and actual power draw.
    [​IMG]
    I know this is total system but the negligible use of a video card and fans in the MT load does not make up that extra 100W.

airbud7 likes this.