Review: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Cooe

Cooe Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury X 4GB
    They are. Was announced with these at CES in January. Threadripper 2 w/ Zen+ comes 2H 2018.

2. Cooe

Cooe Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury X 4GB
    Hahaha I was about to say, "you got started a little early today if you catch my drift ;)", and then I saw the edit. The 2700X also comes with a $30-40 CPU cooler in the box that could also be sold if not needed (it uses the clips so it'll work on all AMD boards going back well over a decade) only further increasing it's over value superiority over the 8700K. It's not even close.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I dunno, I have yet to significant perf drops due to the Meltdown/Spectre patches. Mind you we tested all patched up as well, incl firmware where available for 4790K, 6600K, 8600 and 8700K results as well. My test rigs are always patched up to date for Windows, and thus these all include the April patches. That includes the Intel and Ryzen rigs.

TR tested two games only, the lowest resolution was 1080p. You need way more games to paint a more accurate picture (if you ask me).

Tech Radar:
    • Warhammer II - 8700K 1 FPS faster
    • Shadow of War : Identical Game FPS
    If you look at my 1080p results, there's a 1 FPS difference between 8700K and 2700X in favor of Intel. For me that falls well within the range of what one can expect, including random oddities and quirks you'll always stumble into with benchmarking.

ZXRaziel and airbud7 like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I have theory w/ Spectre/Meltdown performance impact after patching.
    Because some see impact and some do not, I think that actual impact depends on other component than CPU itself.

Let's say, that when you have very fast memory which does not hold CPU back at all, then patching costing few CPU cycles here and there causes measurable degradation of performance.
    But if one does have mild memory bottleneck, then security checks/protections are comfortably done within cycles at which CPU waits for memory access.

That's likely reason why me with 4,5GHz i5 and 1600MHz memory could not see any degradation of performance.

(Theory is apparently not provable on my system, but someone who runs much faster memory can run set of tests with different memory clock and enabled/disabled patches.)

typhon6657 likes this.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Anandtech's benchmarks were run with the 8700K's memory at 2666mhz and the 2700x at 2933 - 2666 isn't as slow as 1600 but it's still relatively slow compared to what most people running a 8700K would have.

People keep posting this in multiple forums and I must be missing something.. at best in that review it ties the 8700K in one game for max fps. In Ian's review the 2700x is on average like 10-15% faster and up to 30% faster in rocket league. For a CPU performance that's a pretty significant number, especially in a relatively single threaded game like rocket league.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  6. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Well I'm certainly jumping ship back to amd from my current 6700k skylake system. With the gap in gaming being just a few fps now I don't see why anyone would pick Intel over amd!

chispy and Maddness like this.
  7. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Great review! My next platform upgrade is this guy, mobo and ram to go with it.
    Added them to my Amazon wishlist yesterday.
    My 3930k was $500+ when I bought it lol!!
    Bye bye Intel!

chispy likes this.
  8. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Grow a thicker skin my pretty dude :) Helps a lot with cringe.

Happy end of working week!

Edit: Aw you owning 8700k. I am sorry my dude. 8700k is the best CPU ever. Sorry for writing something you not like and disagree with.

9. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Is there any at least somewhat official rumour about the possibility of 2800X?

10. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE

My understanding is that there may be one coming out in a few months.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Yep, could be something else affecting that spectre/meltdown performance. But fact that some are affected badly and some not at all is just weird...

There is no point in believing that 2700X performs significantly better in games than 8700K. In every gaming benchmark for multiple CPUs, those difference are so tiny even when there is considerably high difference in clock within one CPU architecture.
    That's because any reasonable review benchmarks at resolution appropriate to GPU configuration and as such GPU is mostly bottleneck. And there where one removed GPU bottleneck, 8700K is just a bit faster.
    But those 720p benchmarks, while interesting, provide little value:
    - unrealistic to believe someone with 1080Ti/SLI is going to play at such low resolution
    - using it as indication of untapped CPU potential is unreasonable as those CPU heavy games in future will employ multiple threads and will not depend on 1 or 2 cores.

chispy and Maddness like this.
  12. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think I noticed a cryptic sentence on one of these sites (not sure if Guru, Anand, TPU or what) before the NDA was lifted that there will be information about this, but thus far I noticed nothing.
    I guess I'll wait a few months and see. Worst case I'll wait for Ryzen2 :D

Embra likes this.
  13. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Starting off with an edited 50 minutes after "first!" then "RIP intel, rip 8700k" post I figured the rest would be a journey in immaturity but actually find this thread pretty level headed. The great review and conclusions nail the product summary: value. This is just pure value. It beats an intel counterpart in several areas (L2) and falls short in others (latency). I don't understand the stock though - I would consider this release a success. Good product, good value but the stock is still sub 10 bucks a share at lower volume than the 15 a share pre-ryzen days. You can manipulate to a point but long term? And company still worth 5 billion vs Intel's 62? I would think positive vibes and upgrades would be moving en masse to AMD.

14. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    I see no reason why these patches could behave like drivers. There affect varies for every computer build. All the different combinations of hardware and software that are possible will interact in different ways. So variations will always be present with now clear explanation as to why.

15. Sempaii

Sempaii Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 G 4GB
    Big Thanks for a great review as always Boss !
    Nice to read all of reply's in the the tread.! Best part dhoo that HH's reply all around.! Respekt Boss.

Last next cpu will for sure be 2700x for me, can't care less if shittel can manage 10fps more soo what no body see this when they are playing for real. ;-)

16. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Intel clearly stated that all of their chips prior to Haswell will see a bigger drop in performance, most notably in 4k performance.What they didn't specify was old chips like SB-E, on top of the drop in performance, I'm also seeing higher load temps by up to 5 deg, suggesting the patches are making the cpu work harder at the same clocks for less gain...which sucks.
    No bios release from Gigabyte, had to manually insert the microcode into the bios and flash for myself.
    True the 4k drop in performance is subjective as I still enjoy WD2 and Witcher 3 at that res, but the drop is more noticeable, that is a fact.
    I for one, if I can spend $329 USD now and even if AMD comes 5 years down the road to tell me, "Oh we fked up and now you have to lose performance that you paid full price for" I'll feel a lot less violated.

17. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned but does this CPU work on older Ryzen boards or does it require the new ones?

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think Anandtech is reviewing their gaming results, although I'm surprised that they released it as-is - even a cursory look would indicate that something is not quite right (even under a best-case scenario, it was unreasonable to expect the 2700X to outperform the 8700K by such large margins in gaming). I expect an update in the coming days.

I've always considered gaming to be a GPU affair. When Summit Ridge was released, I was quite frankly surprised to hear so much discussion on what makes the best "gaming CPU" since I never considered the CPU to be the primary factor in gaming performance. I also don't buy the future/untapped performance argument since it relies on the strange assumption that games in the future will be played with a CPU cap - I see no reason why this would be the case.

19. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Ah no sorry I go back on my edit. AMD still didn't "nail it" in terms of pricing. At least not here. Prices are exactly the same if not more expensive for AMD. Not sure what is going on with that but they definitely seem cheaper in the US.
    8700k 11,120nt (~376usd)
    2700x 11,050nt (~374usd)
    This is the best case scenario I can find. A 2usd price difference hardly screams go AMD for me at least. Also it says cooler not includedo_O

20. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    This is path what I'm thinking as well get 2700x plus motherboard but still would want board with at least 4 PCI_E slots and 10 SATA ports, if not then TR or TR refresh I will be getting

This 2700x is great CPU for money

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Maddness and chispy like this.