Review: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    ??

There is a at least one Sandy, Ivy or Haswell cpu in almost all the benchmarks. Sometimes one or two or all three gens together.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    airbud7 likes this.
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    2700x = Zen+ (12nm). Zen 2, expected 2019 on 7nm process with better IPC and efficiency. I confused the Zen+ for the Zen 2 myself.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Me too, either Zen2 or TigerLake (IcleLake refresh) also in 2019.

4. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Hey thank you very very much for verifying.
    Do you think i can trust for this any MB with tweaking?
    asrock vs msi vs asus?

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega
    Very thorough review and a very good tech read as usual. Thank you HH for your in-depth review and I am delighted to see a real contender, at a good price. This is what I expected and more.
    Now, HH, maybe I didn't read all the lines or maybe I missed, but I wonder if those benchmarks numbers could differ, and how much so, with and without Meltdown and Spectre patches.
    Just a nerdy itch, maybe I am just over asking a bit here.

6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Very nice review HH...I can't think of a thing that might've been said that wasn't...and for me that's pretty much from the top drawer of my compliments and approval stash...:) Indeed, you included a lot of worthwhile info that was news to me and that I'd like to hear more about (and I'm sure I will as time marches on!--the intricate drive-caching features and mechanisms along with the salient features of the new x470 chipset, and so on! You said just enough to whet my appetite and leave me rather motivated, I confess.)

Couple of brief observations...I think you are exactly right in your comments about the glaringly absent 2800/X processor niche. It's presently empty now for a purpose, for certain, seems to me, because it would have been too easy to bump up the 2700/X niche to fill the 2800/X slot, and so on down the line--but that isn't what AMD is doing! I find that more than a little interesting. I agree with you that the possibility of AMD having something definite to fill that slot that is rather more interesting and exciting than a mere speed-bumped, 12-nm cousin-to-the-1800x might be...hence the sort of "mysterious" but rather glaring gap in the lineup! Leaving such an unfilled slot is not something you (me, or AMD) would do without a definite plan in motion, I'd think. We'll see. Could be I'm only yanking my own chain--but it is fun to speculate.

Suffice it to say that surprisingly I am rather hyped about spending more money with AMD in the near future (!)--but when I cracked this article I had no motivations in that direction at all.. Yeah--so just how "interesting" can a mere die-shrink be? Seems there's a good deal more here than meets the eye! This is...dare I say it--becoming fun once again! Getting some fun and some mystery back into the hardware markets once again is well worth an expenditure of coin, imo! AMD is turning a neat trick when it can ignite the long-dormant covetous juices of *this* jaded fellow...:D (Looking forward to your upcoming explorations and coverage, HH! )

7. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    We would highly need 1% and 0.1% low. Sandy mighy deliver good average frames but have some big frame drops in middle.

Cooe and Koniakki like this.
  8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 2070XC ultra
    Does seem like the better option compared to the 8700k but compared to the 7700k....imo...not so much, i got my 7700k for £210 with full warranty and for gaming i think is the better option as far as price/performance is concerned, does the 2700x turbo on all cores or just the first.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yep^...I keep seeing that 4790k right up there close to the top of the gaming benchmarks....heck of a chip to be 4years old.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    cpu/mb for under the cost of just one of my 5960's I am going to make a pretty good set up.

jura11 and chispy like this.

11. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    7700k might of been a good choice for its time.
    You buying a 4 core CPU in 2018, how long it suppose to last? I'd want my CPU to perform nicely for at least 5-6 years and keep working for a decade.
    If you playing on unoptimized engines like Source Engine or E-sport games, those probably will keep performing fine with 4 cores.

Once we start playing modern engines and AAA games, those tend to take care of more cores, and put some massive workload on CPU.
    Will 7700k be able to sustain its frames for 5 years from now, we don't know.

Same could be said about Ryzen 2700x, but it got "twice" (multicore benches) more power to work with, so there some insurance in it.
    For some gamers, 7700k still could be a good choice, depending on gamer and the CPU price.
    Also keep in mind not just CPU price, but mobo + cpu if you comparing AMD and Intel.

12. jortego128

jortego128 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    In BF 1, why does the 2700X smoke the 4790k at 720P, then lose to it by the same margin in 1080P?? That does not make any sense?

BTW HH, thank you for the review, yours was the first I read today! ;)

13. wavetrex

wavetrex Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    10% year to year is significantly better than what Intel has been giving us in the last 10 years !

If I didn't already have a 6-core (from the X99 era), I would clearly consider this !

I wonder if they are going to update the Threadrippers as well, imagine the power of a 16-core beast running at 4.4 Ghz... Bugatti Chiron of CPU's :D

14. ahossein

ahossein Member

GPU:
    1080 G1
    Single Core perf score (CPU-Z), my 6800K manage to score, at 4.2 GHz, 532, and at 4.4GHz the score is 553.

15. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    The price difference is also blurry. Why would a 8700k rip? AMD would have nailed it but instead failed on pricing.

Edit: nevermind. Thought the 8700k was cheaper. Just checked...sorry about that. I'll probably be upgrading to this then.

16. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Great Review! :)

Have you thought about Replacing the 1700 with 2700 on the monster Gaming/productivity Laptops? thanks to better turbo clocks and power afficiency- the new Ryzen 2700 gives great Bump in FPS vs the 1700. check Anandtech they got numbers for the 1700Vs2700.

lest see when Asus will released the updated Model, RIP intel :).

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Well I know what my next CPU is.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    They'll have to replace it occasionally as there will be no more 1700 available to use. But from GPU bottleneck standpoint. Only top Dual GPU mobile workstations will really need that upgrade.

19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    ??
    I wrote correctly, I don't want Zen+ I want Zen 2 as my next upgrade.

20. Cooe

Cooe Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury X 4GB
    Actually Kevin over at TechRadar got identical results to Ian. Aka MASSIVE performance hits to Intel from the Meltdown & Spectre patches.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x