Review: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 processor (65W)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Let's check the non-X. This eight-core processor is 30 bucks cheaper compared to the 2700X model. The essence, heck even the hardware is the same, however, the 2700 is clocked substantially lower and...

Review: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 processor (65W)

Embra and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    it seems that this time around the X models are more appealing than the non x to the contrary of the ryzen's 1xxx

3. alexskyline

alexskyline Guest

GPU:
    HD7970
    Ok Hilbert :) Will keep my Ryzen 1700 for a bit, silence wise

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Kind of figured this was going to be the case, but looks like I won't be ryzen to the 2xxx series, and I'll be keeping my 1700 a little longer!

5. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    Thanks for the review! So... It makes a little bit more sense performance wise the X series this time around. Then again, the original 30 bucks difference gets even bigger around the globe, so it's up to how much the retailers around here will overcharge for each version... Will have to wait ram prices drop a bit before buying either though

6. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Thanx again for yet another good review. Nice performance overall for the money. I would like to see if you can squeeze another 100Mhz out with a proper LCS cooler.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I could see this being appealing for certain ITX builds or those few laptops that support socket AM4 - the improvement in performance-per-watt makes a good difference. Unlike the 2600, I think this is worth getting (vs the 2700X) for overclockers.

8. Alienwarez567

Alienwarez567 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    I just returned my 2700x it was impossible to keep cooled i tried with NZXT X62 and it was running at 45-60 at idle even with the fans at full blast, i tried reapplying the thermal paste 3 times with no luck and on top of that it caused a larger amount of BSOD than i have eve er seen on windows 10.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For real? That is nearly impossible unless you mounted it incorrectly. What did you use to check temps?

10. Alienwarez567

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    I used HWinfo64, Ryzen master and it wasnt mounted wrong been doing this for 20+ and i even tried with my X61 just to double check if there was something wrong with my X62. This was with everything on stock settings.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Did you bother checking voltages? Or whether or not your CPU was actually running at idle speeds? For example, some of the Windows power options can keep the CPU running at full speed even when idle.

12. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Either something went wrong, or you must have gotten a really bad chip. But like the guy above me said check voltage, maybe it was going to high for some reason.

Also check other monitors, normally motherboard ones in the bios can be fairly okay.

13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    It's hard luck to get a bad chip. Hope your next buy runs more smoothly.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I had some stupid high readouts in OS, while in BIOS CPU was down to 37C. But after entering OS, fans were much faster (temperature control). And temperature was around ~50C at idle.
    By default many MBs OC CPU, disable Cool&Quiet and that may require additional tweaking for stability. I did reseat my Fractal S24 too to be sure.
    There are a lot of reports on internet about bad readouts from Zen+. But for some reason those values are getting better every day. I know that CPU was not hot as even long burn session did not get reasonably hot air from radiator.
    (And CPU was eating 180~200W at those times, therefore bad contact would lead to thermal shutdown.) So, only readings improve.

So I expect @Alienwarez567 faced 2 separate issues. 1st unstable settings in BIOS, 2nd scary high readouts. Because if CPU was really hitting 45~60C at idle (10~20W depending on BIOS settings), Once fully used (125~200W depending on BIOS settings), it would cause thermal shutdown instead of BSOD.

Secondly, with that kind of cooling, VRMs would melt down before CPU would overheat as VRMs have much worse passive cooling and quite some energy loss (HWiNFO64 reads Wattage difference between VRMs input and output).

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Actually, it's not really bad luck. To my understanding, there's no such thing as a bad CPU from factory, at least ones manufactured by GloFo, TSMC, and Intel - I'm not so sure about everyone else. The CPU dies are analyzed before being committed to a package, and further tested before being sold. Anyone who claims to have a DOA or bad CPU either has a faulty motherboard, faulty BIOS, or they did something wrong. And even then, nowadays the manufacturing process is a little too precise for there to ever be hardware errors to this extreme. More often than not, faulty computer hardware is due to user error.

Silva and Bhagat like this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Re the 2700, just doesnt make sense if only $30 difference vs 2700x. Can see its viability if the $ spread were more. Secondly, as poorer binned versions of the 2700x, who is to say it will get to 4.2ghz for everyone? What if HH sample is better than what most consumers may end up getting?

17. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Sounds pretty simple to me:

- Want to overclock/tweak/simply have "the best available" ? Get the X
    - Don't care about that ? Get the non-X

You have to remember that the majority of PC gamers in the world are playing all kinds of MMO's or multiplayer shooters (CS:GO?) /RTS (StarCraft?) and so on, games with 10 year old engines.
    For them this 10% Mhz difference is completely non-relevant, but those 30-40$ saved = 3 months subscription on their game. That matters for them !

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review , awesome read Hilbert. Like many people stated before this time around the X models make more sense when buying 2xxx Ryzen cpus. Nonetheless a great bargain at that price ! Good stuff AMD , keep it up ...

Embra likes this.
  19. Alienwarez567

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    Yes i checked voltages i even manually set them to around 1.4 and it was still way way to hot i check the CPU usage and i check that the frequencies were going down to around 2.1Ghz and it was still running hot so either there was something really wrong with MB or the chip either i didnt want to spend more time fiddling with it so i returned it.

20. Alienwarez567

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    I am not sure if it was the CPU or the mainboard i suspect the mainboard but i would rather return it for a new CPU so now i am waiting on that.

I went for another mainboard aswell