Review: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    Fabric interconnect is inside bus, but also external, read what AMD says about Naples, is not another bus to interconnect 2 socket is the same bus wired external to CPU.
    Intel QPI is indentical in what it does. In multi socket system multi-threading is excelent, but not the gaming.
    Google it,xeon 8 core vs dual 4 core xeon gaming. You will be surprised if 8 core xeon will do much better on games, even if it have low clock speed?

In the end, my concern was about gaming on Ryzen, not the multithreading, where Ryzen is on par with Intel

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The gaming is the multithreading, it's just that there hasn't really been a mainstream product like this before, and everything needs to adjust a bit.

3. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Here Fottemberg is testing a 1700 (non-X) vs 1800x ad difference fixed frequencies. http://www.bitsandchips.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9903&start=950#p97316

Since the two CPUs are virtually the same peace of silicon (except for microcode settings), the 1800x is able to deal with lower voltages, which could only mean they come from the best zone of the wafer, while the 1700 from the outer.
    So if tyou are not interested in overclock, the 1700 @ default settings is a cute piece of Silicon, with a nominal TDP of 65, suitable for a good range of fanless CPU cooling systems; otherwise if you are interested in overclock, go for the more expensive models (1800 and 1800x).

For me, the 1700 looks exactly a good preview for what a best selling Naples model could be (remember that best selling server CPUs are not the top models).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    anandtech updated their review and mentioned Ryzen issues that need to be fixed:
    source:http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170...review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/23

5. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  6. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    You are confusing QPI and Fabric interconnect with Ring bus. Inside a CCX AMD has also a ring bus to mentain L3 8MB cache coherency (that 8MB l3 cache is not homogeneous, is made by smaler 2mb pieces of L3 chache)

QPI and Fabric interconnect are made to link CPUs, not cores, ring bus is made to mentain coherency in l3 cache inside a CPU

7. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
  8. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    That why Ryzen R7 is and will remain a dual quad core that should be seen in fact as two socket processors , but on the same die and socket.

You ask AMD for a octa core and they'll give to you a dual quad core :)

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Look, you are both correct in what each is stating. Like is has been said before, stop with the "I have the superior intellect" attitude and what you are saying will be digested better. If such ring bus exists within AMD's ccx, they have done a far better job than Intel has done with the intercommunications within their cpus. It clearly states the latency in AMD's ccx is lower than Intel's implementation.

I tend to believe this guy's YouTube video is the better explanation than yours though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50

10. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    I'm only accusing 2 guys here , with their pure " superiority " .
    One of them also told I know french .... I'll be glad to learn french , but my french is almost 0 right now.

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well it's working 8 cores for my uses so it's fine. In gaming sure it ain't exactly that great atm at least. Most likely won't be in most games.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For me this isn´t a big problem, my Q9550 is also 2 dual cores "stiched" together and it´s been an amazing cpu so far!
    I just wish that hardware companies would be more sincere about this subjects and explain right from the beginning the "quirks" of their products. This includes Intel and Nvidia too!

13. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    You are rigjt, but that AMD "innovation", was discovered by Intel more than a decade ago

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Interconnect Infinity Fabric is an external link between 2 processors on different sockets, nothing to do on what is inside the processors...

Now 1 Naples core is effectively made of 4 Ryzen ( 8 cores ) set on a multipackage die.

Anandtech:

15. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    That's very interesting. I'd be curious what 1080p gaming benchmarks are like with CPU affinity set to 4 cores that eliminate CCX traffic and compare that to Intel quad cores.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nope. The in-CCX communication has half the latency of the Intel ringbus. It goes from 80ns to 40ns. The spike to 140ns is for communication between CCXs.

Intel:

[​IMG]

AMD:

[​IMG]

The article examined it only from the scope of the CPU scheduler, but there are at least another three things at play here.

The CPU driver, the CPU governor in Windows, and the I/O scheduler. The article at the end even speculates on possible mixed-NUMA configurations.

My personal bet is on the CPU driver/governor combo, along with simply not having anything compiled for Ryzen yet, which can make tremendous differences in a lot of applications.

17. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    lmao okay im not even gonna touch this, but...

stop double, triple, quadruple posting. edit your post if you want to tack on an addendum or reply to someone else. its bad etiquette.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  18. ender79

ender79 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 970 ~ 1455 Mhz
    So you not even read the tech spec of Ryzen R7?

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You can set Windows manually to detect it as such, check my post here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5405851&postcount=378

I think it would be worth testing those settings. The groupsize options do work, I had my i5-3570K showing as 2 Sockets with two cores and logical processors (per socket I presume). In any case, it would be detrimental in my case, I just did it for the sake of it :D. It did seem to affect the overclock through, whcih was unexpected. I guess that can be reset in Windows. However, the correct option for Ryzen may be beneficial as the two CCX's are effectively a NUMA mode of sorts, supposedly.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You're not even reading what you're linking, and you have definitely not be correct about everything. Like the ring bus and its latency, or that the Data Fabric between CCXs is not the same as between sockets.

Unless what you're saying is that Ryzen will get 140ns socket to socket communication, in which case I have to turn my pension fund into AMD stock. :D