1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Doesn't mean anything.

Here's my screenshot I posted during launch (SLI 1070s):

[​IMG]

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    This doesn't make a lot of sense about SMT, since benchmarks that are already obviously optimized (Cinebench etc), seem to gain a ton from SMT. Still smells like compiler crap to me. Most Windows people won't get that because they don't really understand the difference and they haven't been around before 3DNow!

3. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    WTF is that? 32 threads or virtual cpus?!

Its like a game or cpu identity crisis.

I echo what some of us see - great IPC clock to clock, hampered by latency and early bios/chipset maturity.

I can't see Ryzen failing... Same price as Quad cores with double the cpu performance for MT. That is a total win.

Cannot wait for the R5 cpu reviews...

I'm looking for budget gaming machine for the family with king of IPC to dollar ratio. ARMA and old IPC sensitive gaming... those may be the best valued gaming cpus yet if we can OC those up to 4.5+ GHZ!

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake

5. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    It's an 18 core Broadwell-E with hyper-threading. Rivatuner overlay maxes out at 32 threads, so it's missing 4. The game uses them, but there's 0 benefit. It's why CPU utilization is misleading when dealing with extreme cases of diminishing returns.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    For those of you interested in Ryzen or doing a Ryzen build , now we have our own dedicated unified Ryzen tread Guru3D sticky on the Hardware section under Processors and Motherboards AMD of the forum where everything Ryzen related will be posted and updated on a daily basis.

You can find that tread here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=412876

Enjoy it !

Kind Regards: Chispy

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nice one, I'll keep my eye on it.

8. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Thanks for the review Hilbert.

9. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    At last AMD, I was so afraid that they will not catch up soon. Congratulations goes to AMD CPU hardware team. You've done it again!

10. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC
    True. At the moment, Ryzen cpus aren't mind blowing or anything really revolutionary in terms of performance and/or blowing away its Intel competition but for the value/price you are getting from these for the performance is exceptional! Works perfectly well for the casual mainstream gamer.

On a side note I thought AMD's stock price would have ended on a high note by trading week's end with the release of Ryzen but it is the opposite...

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    i7-7700 pegged at 100%. Spitting out 50fps. In GTAV

Could very well be prime95 running in the background

12. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    this is not gta v, it is watch dogs 2, which has an INSANE hunger for CPU power while being low FPS. the fact that you don't recognize the game shows that you can't know so much about it. (because yes indeed, GTA V would have higher FPS)

-> https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/watch-dogs-2-has-poor-cpu-optimization.2493167/

the utilization is also in line with the high utilization of the 16 threads of the ryzen on the left side.
    so that's a rather malicious presumption of you.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    wow so hostile :nerd:
    It was just a comment thinking it was GTAV - > pegged cpus at 50fps - > fvck someones running prime95

BTW why the malice charge, if you have already slammed me with the ignorance charge.
    Make up your mind counselor.

14. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I just think, if prime is running on the right side, it might as well be running on the left side, seeing all 16 threads of the Ryzen at ~75% load :)
    What I mean is, that it is in line with a fully utilized 8 thread cpu running an equal workload (disregarding minor fluct. caused by arch variations)

But yeah, it is a CPU hungry title so that's the main reason. (not for 100%, but for 100% + ~55FPS)

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    One has nothing to do with the other.

Amd, even with really positive sales Outlook (which may not come to pass on light of reviews), is still in negative EPS territory. Again, almost all of Ryzen's positive growth was taken into account in the previous months of training, the only real place the stock had to go, barring a runaway revolutionary product, was down.

That doesn't mean Ryzen isn't a success for AMD.

16. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    What id like to se is this cpu tested with a lower end card, becouse i saw on youtube a 1700 OCed to 3.9ghz geting lower FPS vs INTEL even on a gtx1060 , how is that even posible , and that guy was testing full hd maxed out details, @ those setings the GPU should have runed out of power before the Ryzen cpu , it's just odd , i wonder if Ryzen has some ishues with nvidia drivers or something , becouse i cant explain how even with a midrange card like the 1060 the Ryzen cpu get lower fps.

i am talking about this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsMvjiZeTso&t=74s

17. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
  18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    What's the idle consumption in that? In other reviews I've seen that the CPU idles at 2.2GHz, yet it consumes even less than the 800MHz idling Kaby.

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I think we need to wait for a few weeks for all this to settle out. The benches, voltage and temp readings are all over the place.

20. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Ref Vega 64/1060 6G
    Great review Hilbert! Looks like a very nice performing CPU overall. I think with time, performance will only go up. If I was building a system now, I would definitely have considered Ryzen.

For now I think my 6/12 Sandy E is good enough to last me a few more years. I bought it 5 years ago with the hope that it will last me at least 10 years. Well, looks like it is still going strong after 5.

As far as the GPU is concerned, 1060 is good enough as I only game at 1200p at 60Hz (display limitation). However, I am eagerly awaiting the new HDR freesync 2 1440p+ 144Hz displays, when they eventually do show up. Possibly 4K. At that time will probably grab a high end Vega or Navi.