Review: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    Maybe Sony and Microsoft make new console like PS5/Xbone 2 with ZEN CPU they can afford slap on it ? Profit ? Intel cry more ? :p

2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Pretty decent processor the 1800X. It will be good for both AMD and Intel fans alike since Intel will have to drop prices.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Another sign that there is an issue with how SMT is interpreted by Windows/Games for Zen, this time from Computerbase.de

[​IMG]

Hilbert is there any chance for you to run some benches with HPET off, and disabling Core Parking? According to AMD it doesn't seem to be working correctly currently.

4. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    The problem with bulldozer was that it had 2 heads on one core, so the scheduler changes didnt make much difference in his confused body with 2 heads, Ryzen in this case is different, it has 8 real cores and 8 SMT ones, if windows scheduler tells the software to use 4 threads the software can get 2 threads on CPU and 2 on SMT, and thats going to get slow as SMT's are only a fraction of the speed of a normal core. the normal situation would be to use 4 real cores and not use SMT at all if theres no need for more threads.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Decreased performance with HPET on? Wat? I'd like to see a technical explanation of why that is, if it becomes available.
    I'm aware, thanks. I wasn't implying anything about Ryzen or anything really, I was just directly asking if the reports I had heard about Bulldozer's <1% performance gains, after Windows scheduling optimization, were true.

6. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
  7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I read that a little while ago myself. Overall there is some good information from the AMA today. It looks like AMD is not shying away from anything and is openly working to improve what I call the "relative weakness" with Ryzen currently, ie lower game performance (at 1080p res etc) than one would expect based on the kickass professional or prosumer results.

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If Windows doesn't use the internal timer of the CPU, which provides much higher precision than HPET and at lower latency, then latency issues will crop up. That is why I said that Hilbert seems to be spot on about DPC latency.

In the same thread they also mention that Windows keeps core parking on for Ryzen, unless the "High Performance" profile is used. That, along with the higher performance while disabling SMT for some games (sometimes up to 17%), tells me that the processor driver / windows scheduler still need a bit of work, and that in the coming weeks the performance is bound to improve.

I would really like to see some tests done by Hilbert with HPET off and High Performance power profile, and then disabling SMT too.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Damn the list of things that need to be corrected sure is piling up. So we've got:
    * RAM that isn't readily reaching 3GHz speeds (which I personally think is related to the limited overclocking)
    * SMT or scheduling gliches
    * HPET conflicts
    * Core parking
    * High latency

Anything else? I guess the good news is it seems most of these things can be addressed through either BIOS, OS/driver, or microcode updates. Though I have my doubts about the latency issue.
    Based on the Reddit screenshot, I'm a little worried about Lisa's and Robert's responses. They're not lying but they chose their words very particularly, and they do seem to imply that there are some programs that may just always perform worse regardless of any Ryzen-specific updates.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's that straightforward? Damn. I had actually never heard anything about that, thanks. I'd assume then it also has something of an impact on Intel CPU performance as well?

11. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    Im really not sure whats wrong with this article but having flat results across the board tells me something is mighty fishy here and i really hope its not the Intel recomendations in effect
    not reliable for me

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Not sure if it's related to some items in your list, but one review (Kitguru) mentioned "Gaming performance is not well suited for ultra high refresh rates."

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I wouldn't consider that related. That's a recommendation as a result of the things in my list.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I've already performed some internal tests with HPET on/off on Tuesday. It did not make a noticeable difference.

As for SMT and core parking, my fever is slowly passing. I hope to resume work today and with the 1700X review I will check that.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There are some epic threads right here in Guru3D about that. The gist of it is that Windows will use the most precise timer source by itself. Usually that's the internal timer of the CPU, and sometimes a combo of HPET and the CPU timer.

First of all, get well. Colds are very nasty lately.

After your are ok, have you considered doing some LatencyMon tests with HPET on or off? Your review tests were done with the default (Balanced) Windows power plan?

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't think those suggestions would really change anything. If anything, lowering video settings may only exacerbate the issue. The fact of the matter is there's something wrong and testing more games isn't going to change that.

Also, I'm pretty sure most of the titles HH picks would be in the top 50 most popular games on Steam, and most other picks would tell the same story as the ones already shown (unless there's a game out there that manages to take advantage of 16 threads).

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What bugs me is the performance inconsistencies between reviews. Meh, they probably rushed the launch a bit because of the Damocles sword they had if they missed the March window. To be completely honest, I think that most of the issues will be ironed out in the coming months with bios updates. Hell, Skylake was crashing three months after release under some conditions, and it's the refinement of a refinement of a refinement of a refinement. I would look again after a few bios updates and the Creator's Update drops.

As for performance, it's more or less a 6900k for half the price, and the 1700x makes the dilemma 7700k or 6900k a reality. I would go for the octo.

18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Great article as always Hilbert. Hopefully AMD can sort out the slight performance issues when gaming. This is a stellar CPU for the money and could be even better.

19. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Get better man, don't make yourself sick(er) doing too much. No 20 hour OC marathons until you're 100%. ;)

20. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Agreed. However, the show must go on. Lets compromise and settle for 19 hours.

*runs*

:p