Review: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    nono apparently ryzen is good on everything but gaming some people said ! :bang:

2. devicenull

devicenull Member

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 4GB
    We don't know 'exactly' what the future brings in terms of gaming.
    And where in todays benches did you find that 40% deficit? Some specific multi threaded workloads okaaay? how many benches was that?

In short, AMD did good, in a few cases GREAT... But they did not manage to cut of Intels head, put it on a spike and parade it around town.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Isn't that what FCAT is for? I'm not exactly sure how that'd work when testing the CPU though. If you're reading the results from the same source you're testing, I figure that could skew results (especially when you consider how SMT is broken).

4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    IMO the "low fps" I'm going to assume is a software problem, whether its a problem with windows or a problem with the programs themselves, Some of the results for games are all over the place across multiple sites, where as all the real world non "gaming " related tests are pretty consistent.

I would be curious to see how the redstone 2 update effects things. since it was delayed and would have been out at launch had it been on time.

5. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    That was my first thought as I was reading the Guru3D article - Ryzen no good for 144Hz monitors. But, the guy Venix who I quoted below has a point, I'm thinking the 4 & 6 core Ryzen CPUs (which will be even cheaper!), I reckon will end up overclocking higher and be better gaming performers than their more expensive 8 core brothers! But they could still do with sorting out the hyperthreading issue that I think PRMinisterGR linked earlier.

6. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 OC
    Ryzen 7 is aimed to the people who need more cores and threads for stuff like video editing, rendering and streaming. Considering this and looking at the results against the 8 core counterparts I'd say AMD did a very great job under every aspect. The cpu is also just been released, so between firmware and bios updates can improve a lot in the next months.
    As for the gaming, I would love to see the 1400x (4/8 @65W) overclocked.
    Anyway, the cpu comes with a desktop overclocking utility (Ryzen Master) that just like Wattman for the RX GPUs could be quite handy tweaking the cpu and getting the best out of it. Will be interesting to see this in action the next days. Maybe with 4 cores disabled the 1800x can overclock higher and do better in gaming.

7. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    I think both the 1700x and 1800x seem like great products and a good buy. You'd be nuts to drop 700+ on an Intel 8 core at this point. AMD going from almost dead to offer a product that is best in some areas and a bit short in others is an achievement. Arguments aside, AMD is in business for one thing and that is to make money. So far investors are hanging their head on this release. What was needed was a product that met or exceeded expectations. The market says this fell short.

[​IMG]

8. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    I am stupid and confused it seems.. Can someone please explain this to me...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXVIPo_qbc4

p.s ryzen 1800x with the asus mobo coming soon since i am 4k gamer only so i dont really care for lower res

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Take into account that Ryzen's gains were already taken into account with the stock growth months ago, there's limited point to stick around. This article explains it all.

http://investorplace.com/2017/03/advanced-micro-devices-inc-amd-stock-sell/#.WLh0GHOxXqA

To be honest, Ryzen's could have even been better, but the stock would still slide.

10. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Look at nvidia and intel and then come back with that, I guess zen messed up the market for everyone

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The point is Ryzen is losing to 6800k, 6850k, 6900k etc. It looses to Intel, in general. In games that is.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Intel is currently up from last close...?

13. devicenull

devicenull Member

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Well if the theory holds up, the results will be WORSE with that setup, so yeah...
    Would be interesting to see, but don't get your hopes up dude :)

14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    It was down in the red and it seems that it is dropping into red again

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1345-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x/page4.html

that's a lot more than 5fps. Ryzen is getting a slap.

16. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Well an RX480 will definitely get bottlenecked, you wouldn't really notice if it's any better or worse than Intel CPUs. They need GPUs with more headroom (imo).

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    They use Nvidia GPUs for 2 main reasons:
    1. They're generally faster, which means they'll be less of a bottleneck. These are CPU tests after all, so it's best to eliminate bottlenecks.
    2. AMD GPUs tend to have more CPU overhead. Again, not so great when you're trying to benchmark a CPU.

Doesn't really matter anyway - to my knowledge, nobody has proven whether Ryzen's PCIe lanes are a bottleneck (they could be). As long as Ryzen still has memory and SMT issues, testing AMD GPUs might only make things look worse.

18. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's little disappointing, but that was because i bought into the hype this time.

It's still a very good CPU and Plex would no doubt love it, but when it comes to gaming I want to give it a while to see if any fixes come and if anything new is released.

Intel may even release something similar that doesn't have a silly price tag.

20. MiMiK

MiMiK Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    bring on the 6/12 core/threads!!

go go go! AMD