Review: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We tested the Flagship processor, now we review the Ryzen 7 1700X Processor that is a 100 bucks cheaper. The 8-core processor will be tested on an X370 motherboard. Read the review here....

Review: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X processor

2. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    first

Ta Boss!

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Good, now I am heading back to bed. Damn fever.

4. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Hilbert nice review! The SMT finding is interesting. I'm shore the game performance will improve in time, important is that RAW performance IS THERE !!!:nerd:

After you get well soon check the following:

The Final Words

As we finish up out second Ryzen 7 review we can already conclude that the 1700X definitely offers a lot more value for you money. The performance metric is not far away from the 1800X at all, aside from a 200 MHz differential. At 399 USD this processor is going ro be a lovely deal.

The Gaming Performance
    I've stated this in the 180)X review as well, it feels like something what Nvidia has been fighting a while ago, a DPC latency issue. Next to that we find Ryzen 7 rather memory bound with fairly high memory latency in the 80 to 100ns+ ranges depending on your

5. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Wow, exhaustive review #2

Pretty cool!

While being almost just as strong as 1800X and costing $100 less I wonder where 1700 will position next...

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Can't wait to see what my 1700 can do...:D

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah thanks, yeah normally the articles are grammar checked. I just posted this one out there to have it up as fast as possible.

8. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Little spelling error here -

"Agaim I cannot stress enough.." Page 24.

Very nice overclock performance. I can definitely see people opting for this chip and overclocking to save a bit of coin.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That is the one proc I do not have just yet. Grabs phone, calls AMD.

10. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    That is a shame, if it can clock upwards of 4.0 then it becomes the best of the three value wise (if you dont mind a little tweaking)

11. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Probably ~4ghz as well with appropriate cooling and chip quality. I doubt anything significant will change unless major patches/drivers and/or BIOS revisions will be released.

12. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    What I want to see is FPS drops with Intel and AMD CPUs while playing a game and streaming on twitch/youtube/hitbox or whatever.. having music running, browsers open, running voice clients (discord, curse whatever) etc.. okay using OBS or streaming software x264 (CPU) but when playing a CPU intensive game and trying to stream, you will see a good FPS drop, now I know its less of an impact with 6+ core CPUs, but I want to see a comparison.

:)

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I guess asking for benching in Windows Creators Update Insider Preview 15046 *current would be too much? This is the OS that most people going to Zen in terms of Windows 10 will be using, due to the timeframe, and any Ryzen specific CPU scheduling etc changes will likely be present in this build due to the closeness to the update's release date.

14. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Thanks HH, get well soon! Looking forward to the 1700 review which is clocked quite a bit lower.

Also, is it possible to disable cores to guesstimate 6C and 4C performance with the Ryzen architecture? Or even to boost OC potential?

15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Could be that latency issue related to Nvidia or Windows 10?

Need to be tested,by users,with Amd R9 or RX Gpu and Windows 7.

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Thank you very much for working tirelessly and bringing more quality reviews.
    Please, take some rest.

Performance difference from 1800X is minimum. 1700X totally has much better price/performance. $100 cheaper price tag just doesn't justify this performance difference at all. It's seems more like $40-50.

Ask also for AMD cake <3

17. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    +1

The reviews that have included min FPS values already illustrate this tendency.

18. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    I'm much more interested about the 4/8 and 6/12 models, to be honest.
    The lowest end 4/8 should be priced around $170 MSRP, which is a ton below 7600K ~$240.

After all, at least now most games don't really use that many threads.
    The most intensive games might benefit a few extra threads beyond 4, I'd say no more than 6-8 in total though.

That means that, in theory, assuming same IPC and same frequency, the 4/8 and 6/12 models could deliver similar performance to 8/16 in games.
    Maybe a little less due to (I guess) less cache, but maybe they'll be easier to overclock due to not having all those cores.

Having 80% of a 7700K performance (with overclocking) at 70% the price of a 7600K could be the best thing Ryzen will bring.

19. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I was seriously interested in getting a Ryzen. But after reading this review and others I'm going for an i7 5820k and OC it to 4.4~4.6 GHz. I will save about 300$ compared to an 1800x. Ram and cooler is the same as for the Ryzen build. So only saving money on Motherboard and CPU.

20. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    If the 1700 is close to the 1700x in performance or can be nicely overclocked, well, I am sold.

Really good timing for my birthday.

And now, come on Vega !