Review: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G (Renoir) APU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There is a new hybrid processor in town, meet the AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G. The uniqueness of this event is that the processor series announced and released a few weeks ago should not have got into the r...

Review: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G (Renoir) APU

2. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    4533 in 1:1 is quite the dream come true. Great article HH.

Valken and -Tj- like this.
  3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I would have liked to see a few more direct comparisons with the 2/3200g and 2/3400g in overall gaming but still another great review I hope we get more APU reviews:)

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn
    I noticed the CB15 single-thread IPC graphs changes to show percentages when hovering the mouse over it. I think this is a cool feature but I accidentally encountered it. Considering this is the first time I've ever noticed you did such a thing, I'm sure I'm not the only one; you might want to have a caption saying that this can happen.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I see they also "fixed" back write speeds and latency is not too shabby either..

Edit: im blind nvm :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Kool64 likes this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    There are dGPU results... They're just not gray.
    I wouldn't hold my breath for 4750G results, considering what he said about getting the 4650G.

-Tj- likes this.
  7. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Another interesting note is that latency went down from the semi tight CL14 3200

-Tj- likes this.
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Really? I think its just build in apu gpu results, not idk rtx2080.. because they're really low.

Edit, ah.. sorry , nvm im blind. :D

But strange to see 3600x being stronger by games, I thought lower latency will help more.. e.g. tombraider or battlefield. Or is it because normal ryzen has larger L3 cache?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  9. 1usmus

1usmus AMD Memory Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
    Unfortunately, size of L3 cache plays a bigger role, you may also notice that IF bandwidth is higher in 3600. There may be other undocumented hardware restrictions.

-Tj- likes this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    3600X is clocked higher, has a bigger cache, and doesn't have to share resources with an iGPU.

Better latency doesn't necessarily mean better performance either, so long as the latency isn't a bottleneck. It all depends on the workload.

-Tj- likes this.

11. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    3600X has higher boost clock. I also think AMD was very concerned about the desktop APUs being TOO good and cannibalizing their main Ryzen sales. Monolithic 8 core is going to cost AMD more to make than a CCX version due to the better yields needed to make mono 8 core, not even factoring in the iGPU. The last thing they want are gamers passing on cheaper to produce 3000 series for a 4000 series APU. For that reason the 3000 series had to remain performance king.

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For those requesting stuff. As mentioned explicitly in the very first paragraph, this is reviewed by 1usmus and not yours truly!, ergo we cannot mix in the results sets with the ones from my lab. Aside from the default benchies like CB15/20 etc.

dGPU results are in there and yes I know the charts are not 'standard' but yuri very much likes his memory frequency and time tests :) Which as you can see dramatically improves IGP performance.

schmidtbag > Actually yes, most of the recent CPU reviews have a mouse-hover over in the IPC test inbetween score and relative percentages, It is an experiment though, but I will make that more apparent.

mohiuddin, Embra and schmidtbag like this.
  13. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    Nice review as always

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Fast little devil that can clock ram to new heights ! I like it , so sad my Asrock deskmini 300 htpc does not have bios support for this new apus :/ , last upgrade for it was 3400G apu. Great review @1usmus

15. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Would like to see Aida64 latency. Probably 40ns area. Nice test, kudos to 1usmus.
    This chips have potential. Look at IPC!
    Just imagine, having this, plus 20 or 30 Mb L3 cache, or, some l4 cache. That would be destroyer. Maybe next Zen is onto it, I really hope AMD get crown of king of gaming performance in their next zen iteration.

I had i7--5775C@4,1Ghz and that was a beast in most cases, due 128Mb l4 cache(aida64 <50ns!! latency). Granted, my 5,2Ghz 8086 trashes my previous setup, but that previous setup was better than any gaming setup(7700k@5ghz too!) till coffee lake premiere. OFC all gaming wise.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    1USMUS did a fine job here...I want to give him a kudo for something a bit different, too--if you are not yet using his Power Plan, Ryzen Universal, v 1.1 Balanced, you need to begin using it if you want the most out of your Zen 2 CPU's boost performance. With the identical PBO settings, I routinely see single-core boosts between 4.6-4.7GHz (3900X--x570 A. Master) with his PP under Win10--v2004, b20190.1000--an Insider's advance build of Windows which anyone can obtain simply by joining the Insider's group. I cannot touch those max boosts with any other PP out there--Windows High Performance and AMD High Performance can't touch it. I've extensively tested it, and found it makes a material, noticeable difference for me.

chispy likes this.
  17. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    I don't know about AMD's implementation, but the Z390 Aorus Pro is the best M/B for the money I've ever encountered yet.

18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Are you saying that the i7-5775c can use the gpu eDram as l4 cache? i never heard of it

19. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Those apu seems like a fine compromise for my mame mini build. Enough power to replace my i5-3570k, i get 1 ghz more and a gpu that should work fine with some 3d emulator.

20. JjX

JjX Member

GPU:
    1660Ti
    Finally some o/c ram in a cpu review, very nice ! thanks
    Both intel and amd are on a good way with there imc to support ddr5 speed. Still too much latency for amd, but its not the end.