Guru3D Content Review: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5900X and 5950X processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2020.

1. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    Great review as always. With all due respect Hilbert, it is high time to replace the test machine. Poll should prove if I'm wrong, but IPC, power consumption, t, security, PCI-E 4.0. . . speak in favor of my proposition.

BReal85 likes this.
  2. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti / 11gb
    I've used Zen 1 and owned several Zen+ and one Zen 2 system. Stability was only an issue on Zen 1 (early bios primarily) and again on X399 (memory, in my experience).

I don't know of any current AM4 stability issues or any issues related to Zen 2, current AM4 chipsets or TR4.

TPU did mention they were running the DDR4 3200, which is technically below spec, could account for the differences when other reviews (HH included) have 3600.

3. Francesco

Francesco Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    The odd thing at TPU is that 5900x is beaten by the 3900XT (even if by a small margin) in more than one gaming test, hell in a bunch of tests it's even behind the 3600X... in general for what concerns gaming it's a lot closer to the previous gen compared to the other reviews, it depicts a very different picture.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The current gen is very sensitive to ram speed from the looks of it. The reason am sure TPU used 3200 is because that is what the last gen really was compatible with and AMD themselves show that current gen only officially supports up to 3200 still. So 3600 is above spec.

5. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    so 10850k and 3090 fe owner here.

Where in Witcher 3 were you for these tests, what settings in game etc? for the 1440p results.

can you please post what setting were used for the all the games mentioned? trying to simulate results on my end to decide if i keep this 10850k or return it and swap platforms.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Does the 5800X even have a place?

7. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    We (consumers) all win when AMD and Intel trade blows, good to see building a new rig, u can go with any of them for Gaming

Lily GFX and ZXRaziel like this.
  8. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Strix OC
    The price for 5950X has already dropped by 7%...and in stock with more than 10 pieces.
    I think that tomorrow the prices will be everywhere in MSRP margins.

9. Francesco

Francesco Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    If 3200 to 3600 mattered that much.. why would AMD show 3200 as the recommended ram speed?
    Hopefully more tests, with different systems, will clarify that up in the next days.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Of course it does. Do not forget that AMD showcased the "best" cpu for all those benches. Higher profit margin for them and less cannibalization from the 3950.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Ram speed always mattered with Ryzen. All test showed even with the 3000 series ram at 3800 with proper timings gave the best performance. Whether it was perceptible or not is another story. Plus with all those benches AMD showcased, it shows even they themselves did not stick to what their own official specs stated. HH tests results are more typical of this forum's core concept ...pushing hardware above spec. That is why TPU is out of touch with the overclocking community regarding this. What this really tells me is that there is still an ongoing ram compatibility issue. AMD did a great job. Now they just need to improve the IMC in regards to this.

12. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    damnnnnnnnn these cpus look good

Lily GFX likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Close it down amd just committed a murder.

Valken likes this.
  14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Do not forget that Intel based their improvement figures against Skylake.

HandR likes this.
  15. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Great review thank you Guru of 3d aka Hilbert ,
    Wow amazing performance , well Done AMD , and congratulations you have got me back as a customer after all this time .

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    I don't think there's a single b550 or x570 MB out there not supporting 3600 ram. It's not really above spec if every MB support it. It's not like the i5 10400 where the lower end MB literally do not support high ram speed. Not a single soul will buy a 5900x and pair it with 3200 ram unless he is upgrading from b450 so any reviews using 3200 ram is kind of pointless for someone building a new system.

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    TPU numbers are totally off. I checked like 10 reviews now . Guru3D nubers are correct , inline with Gamersnexus , HU. and more .

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Does not matter that every single mobo out there supports 3600. AMD themselves only officially support up to 3200. The cpu manufacturer determines spec not the mobo manufacturer. Aside from that I 100% agree with you.

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    I checked HU, GN, LTT, P'sH and Guru3d so far and while there's some variation (which is to be expected) they all have Ryzen 3 on top. Not a big difference and certainly not big enough to justify someone with a 10th gen to upgrade but for someone building a new computer for christmas well ...

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That was the plan originally, however, ... time. FS2020 is 'challenging' to download and install (on each platform with a different CPU that is).

However, I might perform an update to the game perf review with a Ryzen 5000 update.