Guru3D Content Review: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5900X and 5950X processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2020.

1. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    I've been having 4 sticks (8x4) since December last year, and I won't turn back for anything in the world.

Not about the rank debate, but simply having 32 gig makes so many things possible which would otherwise be ... difficult:
    - Using RAM cache for the storage (ASUS RamCache III), absolutely insane I/O speed, anything that I launch the 2nd time loads near instantly (unless bottlenecked by other aspects)
    - I can launch my two VMs simultaneously during work without worrying about running out of memory
    - I can work in Photoshop with huge images (over 8000 pixels on each side) with multiple layers, without triggering swap to disk
    - All the games I play perform normally without any stuttering (assuming the GPU is up to the task)

16 is enough for pure gaming machine, but if doing anything professional on the same machine it starts to be limiting.

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    5600X is much more than consoles have and will last for another 2 generations of gpus, there is much unused power in it right now , check 320p benchmarks ( for academic reasons :) )

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The consoles will have 8c/16t. They're at a lower clock and it's more than likely 2c/4t will be reserved for background processes, but remember too that console games are a lot more optimized. You need the extra clock speed to make up for the lack of optimization, and you need the extra cores for your own background processes. If you can really strip down your OS then maybe a 5600X will last for more years, but I guess that's up to you if saving $100-$200 is worth the risk. It very well could be.

4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Things maybe bit different this round , the new xbox is not much different from PC , there never been more similarity than now.

Also, intel preparing for relase of new ROCKET(coffin) Lake cpus , highest TDP in the history of company needs SPECIAL cooling :

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    On paper (signaling). But almost all MBs have 2 preferred slots for RAM. And you can clock them higher in those 2 slots.
    That means clocking all 4 sticks is limited by weakest slot.

@kapu : That's really nice cooling. Sadly, even if that cooling had 100% energy efficiency, it would double CPU's power draw without factoring in pump and fans.

So, using such cooling to achieve 10% OC, one basically gets 2.5x+ power draw than CPU would have without such OC.
    (At least it is not huge chiller while it does good job.)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  6. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    4 connectors vs 2 connectors .

Goiur likes this.
  7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The first DDR5 might even be slower than DDR4 if you take latency into account. So you are looking at the second or third iterations of DDR5 when the frequency increases enough to overcome the extra latency. This is what occurred with DDR2, DDR3 and DDR4. I personally don't get excided about new memory technology as it doesn't tend to matter that much if its just an iteration of the same technology. Now if we were talking about moving to a new technology entirely like say HBM3 well then yeah I would be very excited. To anyone waiting on DDR5 don't, just buy the performance you need when you need it.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    What's all this talk about B-die memory?

Do i still want it if i don't plan on overclocking?

9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Goiur likes this.
  10. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 3080
    XenthorX likes this.

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I originally wanted to build a 5900x PC but if I could get a 5950x why not...except we are in 2020 the year of the "koof"

799$ USA msrp
    960$ 784€ CH release price without stock
    1301$ 1067€ CH real price when they have 1 to sell :eek: official retailers decided to scalp themselves apparently

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I bought a 10700K instead of a 5800X and its AMDs loss for not having enough stock out because this chip is great, I'm not looking to change.
    It was becoming difficult to get hold of a 10700K at that time, no doubt due to people finding them way better value without any discount!

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Bought the 5950X a little bit above MSRP back in Nov, and now it costs $100 more!!!!

Scalping really hurts all the GPU sales as well as the Ryzen 5000 which is a big shame, those CPUs are top notch.

ZXRaziel and tunejunky like this.
  14. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    I regret not scalping my 5900X to be honest (got it at MSRP). These prices are insane and if you are senseless enough to pay them, then by all means, do it you nitwit, you deserve to be ripped off.

15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 RTX 2070
    yeah agree in sentiment. reality is a two faced bitch tho' as the miners can afford it. just by the hash rate increase (if using next gen gpus).
    so tempted by the dark side...

16. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    Got my 5950X at Micro Center , already 4 BIOS updates , 5830 is the best , plus i had a 5800x for over month , two BIOS updates as well . Capture11731.PNG Capture11731.PNG

Attached Files:

Valken likes this.