Review: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six core processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We recently reviewed the Ryzen 7 3700X & Ryzen 9 3900X processors from AMD. How about the 3600 series six core parts eh? Well, let's check out the new Ryzen 5 3600X in this review, which quite fr...

Review: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six core processor

blitz72, Maddness, HARDRESET and 3 others like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Great review. Very nice cpu and like HH said pairing it with a b450 should be a great combo.

This is all you need for gaming.

Mesab67, schmidtbag and SpajdrEX like this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    If this doesn't scream: - Value !! ...I don't know what does.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Maddness, carnivore, Mesab67 and 3 others like this.
  4. H1TMANza

H1TMANza Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I know, The 3600(non-X) or even a 2nd Hand 1600/2600/2700x chips.

@1440p gaming, good enough

5. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP
    I am SO glad i went for the 3600X (The regular 3600 was not in stock at the time). Paired it with a Gigabyte gaming 5 wi-fi X470 board wich i got dirt cheap on a sale. In total i paid 420$ for the cpu+mobo. And i sold my old x370mobo and R5 1600 cpu for 150$ so in reality only 270$ for a fantastic upgrade!

P.S With the latest bios the cpu easily turbo clocks itself on 1 core to 4.49Ghz so i didn't even bother to do any overclocking with this one.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Trying to justify your purchase, eh? Same performance in games while slower in everything else. Only a madman would take 9600k before 3600x at this moment.

blitz72, Neo Cyrus, HitokiriX and 2 others like this.
  7. CrisanT

CrisanT Guest

I do not get the point of a comment like this? get to the point please.
    Or the point is to start the fanboy train?

8. Erzengel84

Erzengel84 Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1070 GameRock
    Aaaand in which universe an 9600k is an 6C/12T CPU.
    You paid 30 bucks less for at least 30 bucks less performance and an CPU with so many security issues you can barely count.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Bad start if you're gonna argue like kids. Cut it out.

ToxicTaZ, carnivore and ZXRaziel like this.
  10. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    GREAT job AMD! Fantastic performance x value, 7nm, lower power and very good security cpu. Its more than 50% better than a I5 9600k... dude 50% more multitasking performance?!?!?! This even was a battle... was a W.O! No answer to this CPU at this time!

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thanks for the review. With this series it is almost pointless to overclock. AMD has done a really nice job with PBO. Everytime I read these reviews it makes me wonder how EPYC is going to do in the server space since most of the workload is multitasking. I have a feeling Intel is in for some hurt in the server space this time around.

Maddness likes this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If the 3600X screams value, the 3600 uses a megaphone. Hardly any slower but is $50 cheaper. If you plan to overclock, they should both reach roughly the same speeds. The 3600X has a better box cooler, and because of that (and because of the higher default speeds), I think it's actually the better choice for anyone who doesn't intend to OC.
    No, it won't. 4/8 is the new mainstream and will continue to be that way for a while. 6/12 will probably be the most popular choice among non-streaming gamers for a long while. 8/16 will be for entry-level enthusiasts.

Maddness, buhehe, Mesab67 and 3 others like this.
  13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Great review.
    I got 3600X,well just for the 200Mhz over 3600 .I only game and @4k and this is a cheap perfect gaming CPU for me.Can match any CPU out there gaming 4k.
    Paired 3600X with MSI X470 Gaming Plus all is very good and I am pleased with the CPU.

Maddness and JAMVA like this.
  14. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    If I were buying today, it would be very difficult to justify any Intel chip over the 3600x/3700x. I would probably go with the 3700x in the hopes that 4 years from now it would perform better than the 3600x in the new games at that time.

15. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I hear a lot of criticism for the lack of overclocking headroom on Zen2. While I somewhat understand it, I'm also at the point where I don't have a ton of free time to play with overclocking and have come to value stability way more than I used to. I'm actually somewhat glad to see these chips are giving it their all out of the box so I can get to work and not have to worry about leaving too much performance on the table.

My 1700x is still chugging along but this new lineup is crazy tempting and that would let me shift the 1700x over to a designated drum tracking rig as opposed to using my aging laptop.

As a side note, I'm still ecstatic that more cores is becoming commonplace. More than anything, that's the gain from AMD being back in the game, for me at least. Hopefully software will be quick to catch up and leverage all these threads. I was out of the PC hardware loop for a long while, focusing instead on music and more analog recording techniques. I don't know what made me jump back in but it feels like it was perfect timing (just prior to Ryzen's initial launch).

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Speaking of overclocking the 3600X, I returned my up-volted 4.4GHz all-core overclock on this cpu @ 1.356v to auto yesterday--for the simple reason that I can detect no advantage to running at anything else other than auto! It seems the chip runs just as fast @ 3.8GHz + 4.4Ghz boost, if not faster, than bumping the voltage manually and manually overclocking all cores. But at auto it definitely runs a lot cooler--and therefore better, I think. AMD has released something brand-new in cpu architectures, imo, and it's working really well. R 3k series is significantly different than any cpu I have ever owned in that regard. Difference is I'm still getting my 600Mhz overclock ROOB--but only when I need it, instead of continuously! Much better than expected--and much different. The old paradigms are fast becoming relics!

Edit: wanted to add that I liked the review and who wouldn't choose a 3600 over a 9900k at half the price for 5% less frame-rate performance (and that much likely temporary, looking ahead)? I picked the 3600X because it's a 95W TDP versus the 65W TDP of the 3600, which means it should clock higher--which it does. Although I had no trouble doing an all-core OC to 4.4GHz @ 1.356v, I really don't recommend it because the way this boost works now it isn't worth it, imo.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  17. korn87

korn87 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 8Gb
  18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah I much prefer it this way. And isn't the reason Intel chips have so much headroom is that their chips can fry bacon when running at max clock? So Intel purposely downclocks their chips to stay within TDP. I heard someone say that a little while ago, and it makes sense.

19. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    mmmm baaacconnn.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Now I fancy a bacon sandwich..... That's your fault Amaze and Kool64 you didn't help either..... :mad::D

airbud7 likes this.