Review: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six core processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We again review a six-core model Ryzen 5 3600 processor, you know, the one without an X. It's 200 MHz slower on the base and turbo clocks, but a whopping 50 bucks cheaper. Worth it? Yeah, we think so...

Review: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is a better value than the 3600x. Great budget gaming CPU for the future. I have a feeling I will be building a few low cost high return PC's with this CPU.

airbud7 and Undying like this.
  3. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
  4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah astounding value when I read in the article that you can pair this $199 CPU with a $65 motherboard and get such great gaming and general PC performance.

sverek likes this.

5. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Great CPU, I must think if the 8 core big CPU is really what I need now. Maybe this smaller one and a upgrade in lets say 4 years?
    But to have the upgrade path open, the Motherboard should support the 8 core properly, so I guess the 65 bucks one will not be ideal.

Options options :)

"Combined with the performance the ZEN2 cores poop out it all makes this a proper mainstream processor series."

Is the pooping a typo? :D I like it eitherway :D:D

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Personally, I find this more recommendable than the 8-core Ryzens for the average gamer.

sykozis likes this.
  7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    "Whopping $50"...?....;)

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Any recommendation of B450 board i can pair this one with?

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Considering the low wattage and limited overclocking, I think really any board ought to be sufficient. Just get whatever suits the features you want, your aesthetic taste, and price point. Avoid any brands you don't like/trust to help narrow your results.

Undying likes this.
  10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Hehe well $50 isn't a lot but you're not getting much extra for those 50.

But if you really wanna go bang for buck, I'd look to the 2600. It isn't that much further behind the 3600 but it's only $127 right now. It's a steal for 6c12t.

11. B-linq

B-linq Member

GPU:
    nvidia 1080ti
    Im planning to build system with this CPU too. MSI B450 tomahawk looks pretty good but if you want to upgrade in future with zen2+/zen3, go for x570.

Undying likes this.
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Like Hilbert said, this is the best CPU when it comes to performance/price ratio and makes the 3600x look kind of "expensive"... Although the lack of oc could justify the 3600x.
    What i find curious is the lack of Zen2 CPUs below the 3600, is AMD going to leave that space occupied only by their APUs??? It seems risky and Intel could profit from it...

Great review!

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ha, yeah, but it's a 25% increase in price over the 3600, so that's a sizeable increase!

14. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    TBH, I don't really understand Hilbert's reward system. He gave every Zen2 CPU a "Great Value" medal, while giving a "Recommended" for a 9700K or 9900K. For me, a "Recommended" award is more powerful than a "Great Value". That's pretty nonsense for me. The same was used at the other Ryzen CPUs too. I think both should be used.

Anyway, the 3600 is absolutely the best cheap gaming CPU on the market with "additional CPU power if needed".

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It’s simply because the Intel CPU’s won at gaming. Don’t read to far into it. This site is mostly PC gamers focused so Intel for now is more recommended for that load. However I don’t think there is a $200 Intel cpu that can beat this CPU in any capacity.

BReal85 and airbud7 like this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Hilbert's recommendations tend to be focused around the all-around performance of the product's performance tier. The 9900K is objectively an all-around better CPU than most, when you ignore price.
    As for the 9700K, that was reviewed before Zen2. I'm sure if he'd review it today, he might not retain that recommendation.

Another thing to consider is all the target markets. Guru3D is primarily focused around gamers, and although the 3600 is hands-down the best option for the average gamer and easily the best value (for new CPUs), it isn't the best choice for anything beyond that. It's not the best choice for each of the following categories:
    * Budget builds
    * A PC for work and play
    * Competitive gamers
    * VR gamers
    * Streamers
    Meanwhile, the 9900K is all of those except the first one.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Kind of seems like the same deal with previous X and non X variants.

X variants for relying on XFR and PBR, Non X to save some money and manual clock.

schmidtbag likes this.
  18. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    MSI B450M MORTAR not the cheapest nor the dearest, £89.99 - look out for fan headers .... before you buy too cheap. The mortar has good reviews

Undying likes this.
  19. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    I do not bother with all that, its the conclusion you want to read - not gonna give 2 titles I.E recommended and great value, so the the great value fits the conclusion. Just my view ;)

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX review - Top Pick

Another award :D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    BReal85 likes this.
  20. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I guess is really difficult to have a standard for testing the new Zen 2 CPUs. BIOS are still evolving day by day.

Just as an example in my new combo (Ryzen 3700X + ASRock B450M ITX + DDR4 Micron E @ 3466Mhz Cl16 1.35V) this is my power consumption (total PSU consumption) in Prime 95 Maximum power consumption (which is MUCH more heavier than any real 16 thread process).

- ECO Mode (PBO at I think at PPT = 60W~, but can't remember): : 100-110W
    - Normal mode (or PBO AUTO/DISABLED) (PBO at PPT 88W, default value for 65W TDP like Ryzen 3700X CPU): 130-135W
    - PBO enabled but limited at 105W TDP Ryzens (PPT 142W): 200-205W~
    - PBO enabled (just like that), currently it's not capped and Ryzen Master reports max of 4000~W (bugged) PPT : 210-215W (hitting the 95ºC throttle temp, regularly with a Noctua NH-U12S).

(I also changed the other 2 PBO values, but to simplify I just mentioned the PPT).

Note: GTX 1080 in idle consumes like 10W, so we can rest 10W from the GPU at least. And probably more watts from the rest of the stuff.

Now, after comparing these 4 modes I tried:

- Multi Core performance is slightly different in benchmarks (Cinebench 20, Performnace Test 9.0). (let's say 2-4% better in multicore the 142WPPT over the default 88W PPT). ECO mode is not much worse than normal (88W PPT).
    - Single core performance is about the same....(I guess 60W PPT is enough for boost a core or few cores at max 4.4Ghz stock speed).

So I think the best option is ECO mode (or maybe normal mode). Unless you don't really care about power consumption. Because, you can basically consume 100% more energy (with unlimited PPT) but for maximum 4-5% more multicore 16 threads performance on a 3700X. And almost the same single core performance.

i can't talk about hitting 4.6Ghz boost (enhancing PBO) because doesn't seem to pass the 4.4Ghz limit in my 3700X, even if I enable AUTO OC Mode with +200Mhz.

If you are increasing the PBO limits. I think the main difference between a 3700X and a 3800X is the binning.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019