Review: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G APU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Vega11 based desktop APUs from AMD are here, in this review we take the Ryzen 5 3400G for a spin. AMD has been going strong with their processors, and now increases their market validity by adding a s...

Review: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G APU

2. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    I built a couple office boxes with these the other day. 3200mhz gskill flare x, b450 m-atx board, evo plus nvme, slightly upgraded cooling. They ran very nice for under 600 dollars. Can't imagine the average user not thinking it was very fast.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its a shame it still has vega gpu just tad overclocked.

4. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Dragon
    Would be really interesting to have titles relevant for the iGPU tested here - like Counterstrike Global Offensive, League of Legends, Dota2, Fortnite and Apex Legends. Since building a cheap system to participate in the popular games that are free, or for entry level esports gaming, this CPU/APU could be very interesting.

I know the previous 2400G provided very playable framerates in these titles, but it'd be interesting to see how performance there increased. More so than in older single player games that very few people will play today compared to the popular esports titles.

Picolete likes this.

5. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Also would be nice to know how those run for low end gaming like mame and ps2 wii wiiU emulators.

6. msroadkill612

msroadkill612 Active Member

GPU:
    igp
    Well yeah but...even non gaming site reporting is very gaming centric.

~If it doesnt game at 1080p at 60fps, it is beneath contempt.

Yet I struggle to think of a run of the mill; ~office, class, non gaming home app/work load - where a; big; ugly hot noisy separate ecosystem discrete gpu would be anything but an; expensive, power hungry, time wasting pain.

If time is of the essence, as it is in high labor cost economies, if the 3400g is a tad over priced - in this context it is a bit ..+~$40? - meh.

The apuS seem to sell steadily, even in DIY, despite the press they get. On the mindfactory charts they would represent one of Intel's best sellers if they were in the other column.

I dont recall it being clear that the 32/3400g are also a cpu shift from 14nm++ to 12nm - whatever the significance of that is?

7. msroadkill612

msroadkill612 Active Member

GPU:
    igp
    A natty further APU economy for the budget challenged, is that the significant cost of a PSU can effectively be avoided.

As the power draw is so low, & there is no need for a gpu power connector, then almost any old discarded 300W+ PSU would suffice afaict.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    No real reason to upgrade from a 2200G/2400G. At least for me, there isn't.
    However, I updated the motherboard's BIOS.

9. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    You describe these as binned 2200/2400G parts, but I'm pretty sure the APUs being a Gen behind makes them Zen 1 cores, while Ryzen 3000 APUs are Zen+ cores.

Picolete likes this.
  10. Vananovion

Vananovion Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 56
    32/3400 are indeed on 12nm node, which is s step down from the first 1xxx series Ryzens which were on 14nm node. The practical significance of a smaller node is usually lower power consumption which in turn allows for higher clock and performance (in this case also higher iGPU clock). On manufacturing side it provides better yields and lower costs (once the process is mature enough).

Anyway, my gripe with these procs is the misleading naming. With 3400G you basically get a 2xxx series 4C/8T with Vega 11 slapped on, when based on the name you'd expect a 3xxx series proc. Same with the 22/2400G which have 1xxx series procs.

Other than that, still very good entry-level CPUs, with a good upgrade path.

11. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    I did put mame and zsnes on one of the ones i built.....ran smooth as silk. Video ran smoothly....really, any gpu assisted tasks ran great. Again, i really don't think the non-gamer, non- enthusiast, normals would find this to be plenty fast across the board.

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Looking forward to Zen2-based APUs--although I'm not going to be interested, personally. But the irony is that an iGPU should theoretically see big gains in performance directly related to PCIe4--probably the best case for PCIe4 on a graphics bus, I should think. It doesn't mean much for discrete GPUs, of course, since they are already much faster running from their local Vram bus than the PCIe4 system-ram graphics bus. But there is the rub! These APUs are entry-level products--so motherboard PCIe4 circuitry might hurt that market by elevating the price of the required motherboards. Have to wait until PCIe4 becomes commonplace, I suppose.

13. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI

I did think the gpu in the apu access the ram with anything else than the normal ram controller, and the infinity fabric.
    Do they have a pciex path in the middle?

14. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    The GPU is still functionally a PCIe device, and has lanes dedicated to it. So I guess the CPU and/or mem controller is linked to it via PCIe internally. The higher potential DDR4 speeds of Zen 2 should provide a more meaningful uplift.

15. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Sapphire Tri-x
    Also, the bigger cache of Zen2 should help

16. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm kind of imagining a Zen 5 APU with low mid-range ray-tracing graphics performance.

17. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    I was mostly curious about the igpu and ram overclock potential seeing as the graphics is by far the limiting factor of these chips. Currently I have my 2400g underclocked and undervolted to 3.4ghz with the memory and igpu overclocked and GPU is still the limiter of the system.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I really dislike how AMD messes up the generation numbers with Ryzen APUs. A typical consumer could buy this chip thinking that it's like any other 3000-series CPU when it's actually a binned last-gen product. Having to wait until next year for a Zen 2 APU (with Navi) is also not ideal - you'd think a chiplet design would allow more flexibility here.

schmidtbag and Picolete like this.
  19. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    hey hilbert i noticed these run at 1400mhz on the igpu does that mean these don't have that dead zone between 1350 and 1450 that the 2200g and 2400g had. mine is stuck at either 1300mhz or i have to go up to 1500mhz nothing in between works on mine not that its a big deal it works well at 1500mhz.

20. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Waiting for the ACTUAL Zen-2 APUs with 8 cores and a decent IGP stuck on there.