Review: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G APU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    At a value price of 99 USD there is another APU released today, the four core Ryzen 3 2200G, this puppy is an integrated Radeon Vega based desktop APU (Raven Ridge) that is priced very competitively, ...

Review: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G APU

2. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    Why no online games added to the review? Dota2 or CS:Go? Basically here are tested AAA titles that usually are played with dedicated graphics cards by enthusiasts.
    This kind of CPU's will buy other userbase, like You said yourself in conclusion. Then why not add those userbase games? Ofcourse AAA titles can be there for comparability.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sure, I redid the IGP test suite - and figured I'd covered that question by adding GTA-V - But sure, I'll look into some online games.

4. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    It Would be nice to compare IGP with some GTX and RX graphics (gtx 1030 or rx 550).... Just to figures where it belongs.....

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    For that price point, seems this product will completely obsolete the 1200 and 1300X, where maybe the only people who would consider those models are miners (where they'd rather have the extra PCIe lanes than the IGP).

Funny how for such a cheap product, it seems so overkill for media purposes. Seems AMD could make 2c/4t variant with 75% of the GPU and it'd still handle video decode smoothly.

6. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    I would like to have a new Ryzen 5 (Zen+) 6c/12HT @4.3 GHz and this Vega iGPU.
    Because i primarily play CS:GO and occasional Doom.
    It would be perfect! Looking at dGPU prices....

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    What would you need the extra 2c/4t for? To my knowledge, Neither CS:GO nor Doom need more than 4 threads, so the 2400G ought to be plenty good enough; I think the 2200G might struggle at times with Doom, depending on the detail level. I'm using a 1500X and so far the CPU has not been a bottleneck, except where frequency becomes a limitation (which isn't often).

8. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    Futureproof when I decide to buy dGPU when prices are better and are quality AAA games available. I don't want to start changing CPU then-again.
    Right now I have Ryzen5 1600 and old GTX770 2GB ramand 27" 1440p 144hz freesync monitor. Would like to have a Vega56, but we all know the prices ...

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well if you're considering the 2200G, it's not a major expense in the event you replace it with an upgrade. But, I'm pretty sure getting either the 2200G or 2400G would be a downgrade from the specs you have now. Unless you're looking to build a 2nd PC (in which case thread count REALLY won't matter), I would not get these APUs.

In general, I don't see 8 threads being saturated for a very long time. The gaming industry tends to revolve around console needs. Consoles may have 8 cores, but to my knowledge at least one of them isn't accessible to the games. Games in general are very difficult to program as multi-threaded, which is why it's taken so long to see any use more than 4 cores.

10. Davud

Davud Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    Great review.
    Will you consider adding 4K@60fps video decoding also? iPhone X and Panasonic GH5 shoot at that spec and it is very demanding to decode. Here is a sample link: http://download.dpreview.com/apple_iphone_x/IMG_0052.MOV
    Also, it would be nice to use more popular video players like Potplayer and VLC.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    IMO, those CPUs were just placeholders for the APUs. After all, it never made much sense to offer a budget CPU that forced users to buy a dedicated GPU.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Doesn't really make sense though. Remember, the 1200 and 1300X were the last AM4 Summit Ridge chips to be released. I don't think anyone was anxiously waiting for Ryzen 3s, even to the point where a lot of reviewers never got one. Assuming Ryzen 3s were made from binned 2+2 CCXs, they could've used one CCX with SMT enabled for low-end mobile purposes. A 2c/4t APU with something like a Vega 5 for less than $80 for laptops would make for a solid product.

If I had my way, Ryzen 3 should be strictly APUs, Ryzen 7+ should be strictly CPUs, while Ryzen 5 is suitable for both. But, I'm just rambling at this point.

Anyway, there is one decent purpose for the 1200 and 1300X: headless home servers. I'm sure you could passively cool a 1200 in a slim tower ITX case, at least if you disable XFR.

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Frankly, I never really understood the purpose of the Ryzen 3s. Without an iGPU, they were at a severe disadvantage compared to the competition, and I saw little market for them. I certainly think the 2200G will make it redundant, and hopefully all future Ryzen 3s come with an iGPU. I think AMD released it because they could, and to fill that price range before Raven Ridge was ready.

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    No iGPU OC testing on either of the 2x00G Ryzen? I've seen people getting around 1500-1600MHz on the core clock of the Vega 8/11 using higher iGPU voltage through Ryzen Master. It seems to make a HUGE difference in gaming, but is annoying since you have to open RM every time you boot your computer and apply the profile. I'm looking at a way to automate the process so that the RM profile is just loaded silently in the background upon login, or maybe one day MSIAB will support these chips. So far I'm having a good time tinkering with my Dad's new little Mini-ITX computer based on a 2200G, after ASRock got a good BIOS out a few days ago.

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review as always Hilbert , nice read. I was planning to built a new htpc with this APU , but after seen the Ram prices i decided to wait until they come down a bit :( , i just cannot justify close to $300 dollars after shipping & handling + taxes for a decent 2x8GB Samsung B-die memory kit. Memory prices are out of this world at this moment :/ .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Do you really need that much RAM?

chispy likes this.
  17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    lol my bad :D , made a little mistake , i meant 16Gb = 2x8GB. Fixed now , i do not need more than 16GB of memory.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  18. clsA

clsA Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 ti
    Well I took the plunge and build myself one on these little HTPC / Emulator boxes and now that's it nearly complete it was worth it. I choose the Ryzen 3 2200G based on some Youtube video's and this review.

But Damn it was a total fight the whole way, nothing went smooth with this build.

It started with the Asus Prime B350M-E requiring a Bios flash with a chip I didn't have handy. But I got lucky and a neighbor was in the process of building an Ryzen 7 1700x box and his motherboard had to be returned because of missing parts. So I slipped his chip in their and added an old Geforce N250 I had on the shelf just long enough to update the bios to 3803 .

Next come the Windows 10 install... everything seemed to go great except one small problem
    the video driver would not work. Windows device manager gave the display driver a yellow exclamation
    with the error The device cannot find enough resources. uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers did not help.
    Booting back to the bios and setting the Video memory to 2gigs also didn't help.

Turns out you have to update Windows 10 1709 Fall Creators Update before the on-board graphics will work correctly.

Now I'm in the slow process of overclocking and testing. my CORSAIR Vengeance LPX ram seems to be stuck at DDR4 2133 instead of the rated 2400 I purchased. (Got a deal on the 2400 it was almost $25 less than the recommended 3200) I was hoping on making up the difference with a decent oc on the cpu / gpu.

So far I have only tested Dolphin / New Super Mario bros and Mario Galaxy and they both run smooth
    The plan is to add RetroArch - PPSSPP - Steam and Plex media server for an all around HTPC.

It will replace an aging Biostar / core i3 ddr3 with on-board Intel graphics. It's clearly a Huge upgrade already ;)

19. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I searched and did not find a Pinnacle Ridge/APU owner's thread, so I'll ask here. Does anybody know if you can add in a GPU and continue to use the APU HDMI outs? Just recently built a 2200G based work computer for my Dad and didn't realize he would need 3 monitors.

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yes. I have a GTX 1080 Ti in my 2400G rig (took some effort but eventually got the two to play nice).