Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Mere

Mere Member Guru

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    Radeon VII can be more power efficient than 2080 actually if you undervolt it a bit and without losing any performance at stock. The German guys did it in their review.

There are a few things I really don't like about this card though.

• broken drivers

• ridiculously loud cooler

• a bad contact between a hot spot and the cooling system that can be actually fixed manually which leads to -10C reduction in temperature. Does AMD hire monkeys instead of engineers??
    PS About OCing..the card CAN OC and pretty good.. the problem is the driver is buggy as hell.

3dnews managed to push it to 2k without using dry ice, but they had to max its terrible fans

1) 1,13V, +20% power, maxed out fans, 2002 Mhz core clock

but they decided to test it with these settings instead

2) 1,08V, 1914/1950Mhz under load.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    mohiuddin likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Next large batch of cards on Monday (MSI).

Oversemper and mohiuddin like this.
  3. sarsar

sarsar Member

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 8 GB
    They are 1000 $ or 885 Euro in Romania, anyone want one?

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sorry I didn't realize the cluster of CU's was called SE's. What I was saying is add two more SE's which would also increase the ROP count to 96 as well. So keep the same 16 CU's per SE of vega but insead of 4 SE's have 6. You could still shut down 1 or two CU's on each SE like has been done with VII and v56 for 90 CU's or 84 CU's but keep all 96 ROP's active.

airbud7 likes this.

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    Unfortunately i think you are right. Seriously sad isn't it. Thought i was into a rare thing buying four GPU's almost seven years ago at a grand plus a piece. Fortunately they still rock to this day and i don't think ill upgrade for a short while until prices find an even median to coast on....

6. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    Is there any way we could get Ultrawide resolutions including that of the DSR (NVidia) and whatever AMD is calling their dynamic scaling resolution?? 3440x1440/6880x2880 resolutions if possible.

I'd love to see what these cards bring in the way of performance @ these resolutions as this/these are what i game at currently.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    There are also cases where the 2080 is above the Radeon VII. The $699 pricing does not make sense, but AMD could not sell it much lower without losing money.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    TPU average GPU gaming performance charts per resolution are terrific!

For distracted ppl these are the condensed version of the charts (more % is better, Radeon VII is set as base value (100%)) :

[​IMG]

Self explanatory...

Stormyandcold and Loophole35 like this.
  9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    If Ray tracing is what you are looking for you should avoid all the RTX lineup outside of the RTX 2080 Ti. All the other cards wont be powerful enough to do proper RTX at 2k or 4k moving forward. I just got a 2k monitor and moving to 2k or 4k from 1080p is definitely worth it imo.

I did the mistake to buy a 1070 but not waiting for Vega or 7nm but waiting for RTX and i'll tell you i'm very disappointed and i feel very bad making this mistake. 1070 is a very good card but sadly it's a little bit on the weak side for 2k 144Hz gaming. I should have spent the extra for a 1080.

Yup outside of the 2080 Ti none of these cards are worthy of an upgrade unless you have an old or entry level GPU. That's what i personally get from this chart.

Undying likes this.
  10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    yeah, they're great as a point of reference, they test a lot of games and everyone can look into their specific games if they so wish.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Price makes sense as all have been sold out while alternative in RTX 2080 is available.
    And those wanna-be only 100 per UK and similar fake news were around only to make it look like they are sold out because very few arrived arrived. (I Highly doubt that UK supply was worse than ours.)

In 2 weeks we will see how well it sells. Maybe Radeon 7 will be available everywhere and RTX 2080 finally sold out.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The gaming performance of the card is certainly disappointing (especially for its price) but this shouldn't come as a surprise. It was obvious what this card was the moment they announced it - a die shrink of Vega and a MI50 variant. It has all the hallmarks of a fill-gap product - did anyone seriously expect it to be their next-gen, Nvidia-beating consumer gaming GPU?

My guess is that this GPU would mostly appeal to the prosumer crowd who need the extra compute abilities. It likely won't appeal to pure gamers aside from the hardcore AMD fans. Of course it's always possible that future driver updates will squeeze out more performance in games, but I won't hold my breath for that.

As someone who both games and computes, I'd like to give this GPU a try. It'll fit nicely in my workstation system, although I'd imagine the noise would be a bit bothersome as I sit right beside it (and I don't want to bother with the hassle of putting it under water). I might consider it when it's back in stock.

Yogi likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    2080 was available everywhere even before RVII, it is unlikely that change now that has a competition of some kind. RTX are not selling that well at all.

It will be funny if RVII outsells it.

Maddness and Fox2232 like this.
  14. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I think it very easy to attach AIO cooling for it, just leave the black plate on and put ~15mm height heatsink with adhesive and use simple AIO GPU cooler.
    https://i.**********/Gpj3532g/cooler6.jpg

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Problem is poor contact. Hopefully it's the cooler is not flat and not the die itself that is not flat.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You could take off the shield and just cool the VRMs, the positive about dies like Vega with HBM is memory is right on there so no need to design anything else much more than a gpu block.

tunejunky likes this.
  17. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    just got back from Taipei in time to read this review.

another excellent job of reviewing and very instructive as to the differences between an "optimized" ES at CES (including custom drivers, no doubt) and a ready for retail sample.

that said, it's Crystal Clear why AMD's focus was on "content creators" as that HBM and bus are a wet dream for those who earn their money with hardware. not to mention the fact that $699 is chump change to that cohort.

this is a card i will buy. and it will stand me in good stead for the next 18 months before 7nm Nvidia or high end Navi.

i still have much love for Nvidia, it's just a matter of marking time until heads are rolling and Nvidia either secures its future or is bought out. as a shareholder i'm not happy at all (with Nvidia...also hold stock in AMD and Intel - so it's hard being completely happy ;)).

18. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    yeah, that surprised me a bit.
    but, then again i was on the floor of a "ginormous" convention center...even after closing it's not a quiet enough place to suss out that noise level...i actually thought it was kinda quiet at the time.

19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Radeon VII, a pretty horrible product/launch in my evaluation in terms of gaming.
    • Noisy: the loudest card Guru3d has ever tested at 50dB!
    • High power consumption: 300W
    • Performance in the RTX 2070 / GTX 1080ti zone and up to RTX 2080 depending on game.
    • Expensive: 699USD, while RTX 2070 costs only 579USD, although RTX 2080 costs $799, so it sits slap bang in the middle of those two.

But the Radeon VII compares so badly to both RTX 2070 & RTX 2080:
    Yeah, NVidia are silly overpriced for their RTX cards, and AMD are now overpriced in comparison to NVidia - madness! I think Hilbert got the proper value of the card about right though in the conclusion, 499USD vs the 699USD they're asking for. Performance wise considering it's slightly faster than the RTX 2070 but missing the RTX & DLSS features I think those 2 facts make this product worth the same as the RTX 2070 (579USD), but then I think you've gotta then subtract some more for the practically doubled power consumption and insanely loud noise of the card during gaming - so yeah 499USD!

The one saving grace of the Radeon VII is that it has 16GB of VRAM which is useful for some scientific computational stuff (as well as some other parts of the GPU that are useful for this), but that's only a very niche area - for gaming it's a bit of a disaster product really.

Xtreme1979 likes this.
  20. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    Because 16GB RAM guarantees efficient playing on RVII for at least 3 consecutive years.
    The RTX 2080 specification is out of date at the start. Even those already 3 years old, Final Fantasy XV, in 4k uses 11.5 GB VRAM.
    The RVII price is justified by the specification of this card. For tens of thousands of people, the RVII as a very slightly trimmed version Mi50 (worth $ 4,900) has an excellent price. The price of 2080 does not justify anything. RT and DLSS are marketing tricks that will at best be used in 10 games per 1000, which will be released in the next two years. I also have a feeling (maybe wrong) that in a few months the new drivers will give RVII, 20% advantage over RTX 2080 - similar to the case of Polaris and GTX1060 and several other AMD cards.