1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Love my Msi RTX 2080 Ventus but then i came from a GTX 980 that struggled in many newer games but the 2080 just smashes through them

Was only £680 so that aint bad to me, i didnt buy it for the rtx stuff but its nice to have it :)

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This card basically fills the gap between RTX2070 and RTX2080. However MSRP price is what RTX2080 is. It got more memory for production/batch purposes in exchange of Ray Tracing features.

I think Radeon VII is still good card, might last longer than RTX2080 due to bigger memory size. However for pure gaming, I'd still take Novidia.

3. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Radeon VII would be a perfect upgrade for me but it's the price that matters, and at this point it's just too costly to justify... I'm in the same boat as others have said Zen2+Navi 20 would make the most economic sense, assuming prices will be ideals and worthwhile.

I'm actually quite impressed with the performance though, I was expecting the 1080p performance to be rather low in comparison to the higher resolutions, at 1440p, this card is great, 4k is a bit of a push but certainly doable though for future games will probably be taxing.

4. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    No clue where people are coming from. Lets start 1080ti... $515 used... then on up. Found a NEW ONE $495 NOT EBAY yet a site that has no negative reviews. And was the last one. The Radeon VII is just a rehashed Vega 64.. smaller 7nm chip.. more faster memory. And over clocked to what 1825. Fact.. you WONT be over clocking it much higher.2080

So.. just whats so NEW about it? Its hot..just as hot as the Vega 64 was. Fans are loud.. The 3 free games do NOT = $230. Unless your just finding the HIGHEST selling price. 2 of the games you can get for a tat over $80. So you WONT be selling them and making much money. If you even can. We have 2 of those games and we didnt pay over $80.

The 1080ti beats the VII in many games.. some games it does not. And you CAN get on for $450 and up. The 2080 is just as good as the 1080TI..YET has new features. Two are RTX DLSS. And I can get one with 2 free games and $689.

VII's so far has many driver problems.. and so far I have not read ONE person that said the PRICE IS RIGHT! All have said its TO MUCH! I waited not long but waited when the Vega 64 came out and got it for around $450.

Oh.. 2080 just looked $699... $709....$699.. come with 2 free games.. on card has $20 off coupon. So.. yeah.. CHEAPER!

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    It seems nice for DX12. Not so much for DX11 games.

However, I can't get over the fact that if this is what AMD can do at 7nm, then, Nvidia's 7nm cards are going to be insane!

In the end though, I don't feel like it's time to upgrade right now.

6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB ❤ 144hz
    Tiny Tom Logan of OC3D was fairly impressed with the Radeon VII graphics card, but he was quick to point out the very loud 3000rpm fans and ongoing AMD driver issues.

It does seem like the more affordable option for 4K gaming. I mean it's playing in the same ballpark as the 2070 and the more expensive 2080 in a few games.

However I couldn't care less about it knowing that Navi will come out later this year and the ugly look of the white rectangle shape with three holes doesn't help either.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    In Serbia card is on stock in one store, 847€. We also have huge tax, 2080 is around the same price.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Let me guess, from Asus? XD

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    -Tj- likes this.
  10. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Excellent review! Personally, I like both the overall performance and look of this GPU.

11. MADEVIL

MADEVIL Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080Ti
    With the current landscape of cost to performance of cards as of late I'd have to say I'm going to stick with my 1080Ti OC, just don't see any value to buy AMD or Nvidia unless the prices drop.

airbud7 and Maddness like this.
  12. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Power color vega 64
    I think I'll just hang onto my vega 64's for a bit longer.

Maddness likes this.
  13. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Nothing new and the price isn't that good. Considering they are pretty late to the game here (this card is more or less an overclocked 1080ti), the only way I can see these selling well is if they were priced better.

14. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Oh, they will sell. Scumbags have already bought them all up, and are selling them on ebay at inflated prices.

15. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti xtreme
    Its not so funny, when your fps tanks because you run out of GPU memory.

Most of games games use 4-8GB GPU memory on their own, but for example activating DXR in BF5 increase memory use by 1.5GB, if same apply for other games as well that makes 5.5-9.5 GB and if you consider average PC gamer doing more then just bench-marking (using other stuff on background) that use GPU.
    Yes some of it can be swap out to main memory but that causing performance issues when you switch between game and other apps and GPU have to reload some data.

And yes you can restart whole computer every time you want to play something, but that is more than just inconvenient and definitely not something GPU memory should count on.

16. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    This and the fact that the results are all over the place tells me that the hardware is very capable , it's the software and the drivers that is causing the weird performance . The card performs in between 2070 and 2080 , in some cases above 2080 ti . This is clear indication that propper coding matters .

17. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I am expecting the prices to go down when the initial excitement drops , I agree with Hilbert right now it's notch too expansive .

18. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Cannot wait to see the improved 7nm cpu's this process seems to be a good step forward .

19. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Feels bad about people not buying 1080ti 2 years ago. Waiting for vega or this :p

20. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    The card is nice, but only for gaming I don't think is a good buy.
    I thing that a 8 GB version will bee a lot cheaper and with a nice performance.
    Price will go down slow beacuse of the price for the memory.
    New drivers will improve performace but still price...
    Waiting for Navi to show.