1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    TSMC's 7nm looks really good, already hitting 2270MHZ on AIO with power tweaks(same user in post above).
    So looks like GF was limiting VEGA/Ryzen clock's, good that AMD got free with 7nm and beyond.

Maddness and Fox2232 like this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Yeah saw some water cooling custom kit reports hitting 2 Ghz on the core clocks and 1200 on memory. Mostly benchmark numbers last I checked though so not too sure on scaling overall and performance gains though as one user on that Reddit topic said a stock water cooling kit on the GPU and boost at 2 Ghz by default would have been fun to see from AMD directly though I would expect it would come at a bit of a price premium.
    (Then again the stock water cooler on the Fury and Vega were also not that bad as I recall so a bit pricier would factor in for the build quality though it's already fairly rough in how it competes price/performance against 2080 though this might give it the edge slightly.)

EDIT: Though for professional or compute workloads it might have it's advantages too being even faster plus still less expensive than the Mi50 and the full Mi60 I suppose.

Especially if they could be binned too if the yields allowed for that, results with 1.0v and still hitting near 2 Ghz sounded impressive if boost can sustain it fully and without stability in some titles or benchmark runs which sounded like it had to be adjusted for at least one of them or it would crash. Essentially reducing the power usage and lessening heat and removing both factors from the thresholds and limiters for what the card operates under and sustaining the boost speeds 100% or close as can be with Vega. :)

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The Adored video shows poor performance with the RTX 2080 in Rise of the Tomb Raider (Geothermal Valley) and where its choppy and stuttery. I confirm that on my card, but only when its in DX12 mode. DX11 has no such issues, so basically Nvidia needs to fix this in a new driver update. Adored claims this choppy/stuttery performance is due to lack of vram and points to an AMD marketing sheet a list of games that 'allocate' more than 8gb of vram (a misleading selling point for their 16gb R7) with no distinction between allocation/caching and actual need for the vram. Unless he is really that dumb not to know this, then his willfully being misleading or deceitful in his review. Remember, ROTR was released during the time of 4gb GPUs (2015).

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    Well....like I said in another thread....doesn't matter what AMD does, people on this forum will still attack them... Based on the posts, I'm starting to wonder how many on this forum are shills or shareholders for NVidia.... Praise the RTX2080 and 2080Ti, even at ridiculous prices, but attack AMD for releasing a competitive product....

That's actually standard, if you read any warranty terms.... The warranty terms on my GTX970 say pretty much the same thing.

carnivore and Undying like this.

5. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    That Adored review haha, what a nonce.

What do you mean? Are we supposed to praise a GPU that performs worse and costs the same (or more) than a 5 month old 2080? What is there to praise exactly? That AMD came 2nd out of 2 competitors while doing it later?

When the 2080 and 2080ti launched, everyone was screaming their heads off complaining about the pricing.

AMD comes out 5 months later with an inferior card and we should praise it? Come on.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Xtreme1979 and K.S. like this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    2080 users so cringy lol :D

warlord likes this.
  7. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    So you think the RVII deserves praise?

8. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    They lose in spirit. GTX 1080ti, Titan Xp, 2080ti and Radeon VII, have more Vram than theirs. It is not quite an easy pill to swallow for them. :D Each passing day they are nervous that the opposing gpu has twice the ram. :p

Undying likes this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Not at all. Both 2080 and RVII are not worth the asking price.

I mean, take a look this new amazing feature you are getting instead of 16gb vram.

[​IMG]

carnivore, K.S., BlackZero and 3 others like this.
  10. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    And? the 2080 outperforms the 11gb 1080ti and the 16gb RVII. Why should they care? I'll take that over the extra vram that does nothing every day of the week.

Aura89 likes this.

11. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    You don't have to run DLSS. It's there if you want a boost to performance at a IQ cost. It's new tech and it might improve. Or it might not.

There's still ray tracing that looks great in Metro. Again, you can turn it on or off, it's up to you.

Ignore both technologies, the 2080 beats the RVII, overall. One thing for sure, if we're supposed to praise the RVII, we definitely should be praising the 2080 too. Because it's the better card.

If I was gaming at 4k, I would probably consider the RVII a bit more, it seems to perform nicely at 4k but at 1440p, it's a no brainer. Main thing is this, people should buy hardware that is suited for their needs.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    Agreed.....however, reasonable people also avoid threads concerning products they have no interest in. But, keep proving my point anyway....

ZXRaziel likes this.
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Stop making unfounded generalizations. There are rational talking points vs outright shilling for whatever HW or GPU the topic may be focused on. Shame some folks cant make the distinction. I actually held off my GPU purchase for weeks, waiting for the R7 and hoping to switch sides. Even have a feeling the R7 may turn out to be a decent card down the road. But sorry, just can wait that long.

Ironic when actual shills (ie, Adored) bring up false or misleading statements and poor testing methodology, which when criticized or challenged, the persons doing so are labelled as the shills.

K.S., Aura89, warlord and 1 other person like this.
  14. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    what point of yours did I prove?

Also, I should avoid this thread because I have no interest in the RVII? Why? It's a new gpu, of course I'm interested in reading about it. Why are you here btw?

K.S. likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Are you angry about Radeon VII getting praise or because your RTX 2080 is getting none?

warlord and HWgeek like this.

16. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Until VII can beat steadily Vega 64 in all games with proper differences, we shouldn't consider VII a praiseworthy gpu either. It is the most problematic launch ever for ATI/AMD/RTG and it is based on previous arch. Nvidia shouldn't be alone anymore in the Hall of Fail because of RTX gpus and their features.

K.S. likes this.
  17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    7790?

warlord likes this.
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    Unfounded generalizations? Are you suddenly new to the forum? There are countless threads on this forum proving exactly what I've said. Regardless of what AMD does, people on this forum still attack them.

Agonist, carnivore and Undying like this.
  19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    not sure but v7 is pretty fast by the looks of things, its the same price same performance after that it's all rock throwing.
    might have ruined my fantasies a little but great power none the less

Maddness and sykozis like this.
  20. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SEA HAWK
    Still waiting for AMD to pull a "Frontier Edition" with this and release Radeon™ Pro Software drivers for the Vega Vll considering its price-point & computational power. Otherwise; no it's not great. A performance-based market shouldn't settle for anything but the best. Especially when cost is not competitive, more-so even.

It holds little investment potential, will de-value very quickly as navi is soon to release & teeters between the high-to under very-high scores of its competitor; the writing's on the wall. 1080 TIs are still on the market as are modded / water-cooled Vega 64s. Even so I'd say wait till Q4 this year until making decisions.

After all what I'm suggesting bears no cost to the company - none; it should already have came at launch.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019