1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Noisiv and Maddness like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That's crazy.

I would have already gotten a "cheap" KFA2/Inno3D RTX 2080, if it wasn't for their stupid 2 years warranty.
    I am not dishing out 700-800 doubloons for 2 years warranty.

1 year? wth...

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The terms are even worse for anyone with the slightest inclination to OC, mod or mess around with it. :eek:

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    And I thought the RTX launch was bad.

AMD’s GPU department never fails to disappoint.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

It's worse than that:

What if Nvidia, Asus/EVGA & Co. take notice?

alanm likes this.
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Maddness likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    No, you was mistaken and repeating incorrect information (unless you know it is false) is not a lie. But that does not change much on fact that cooler like that should be able to handle 300W better. Maybe bad heatpipe design due to smaller GPU die size too.

9. Azerothakis

Azerothakis New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 390 NitroV.2
    If i were AMD i would release new bios with the below advantages:
    1. UEFI
    2. Core Voltage 1020mV-1060mV (Or new profile, UV profile or UVfor less wattage)
    3. 1850MHZ Boost speed if UV were possible in each GPU.
    4. New Driver 19.2.2 or Q2. included. (so to avoid ALL THE YOUTUBERS fast release error results cause of beta driver they use NOT THE FINAL.)
    5. Included test reporting tool if all above are possible with each sample of GPU.

Results:
    All they will have the SAME CORRECT OFFICIAL DRIVERS
    50watt less power consuption
    Better heat performance
    Lowering the noise from the active cooling 3fan system
    5%~8% More performance due to boost core increase

But i dont know why AMD continues the OVERVOLTAGE POLICY after 2 generations OF VEGA and VEGAII.
    Maybe they will produce more faulty samples with lower voltage? Probably.

Undying likes this.
  10. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I think they are over-volting the GPU's simply because they are pushing the clock and while some silicone can operate in spec frequency with less voltage- there are some silicone that won't be stable, so the easiest and cheapest solution is too over-volt them all to be stable at the specified clocks.
    And since they knew the reason they just added the AUTO Under-volt in the drivers for VEGA.

Maddness likes this.

11. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    jura11 and vbetts like this.
  12. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    That means ANY change on clocks and voltages using the WattMan tool included in the official AMD GPU driver: overclocking, underclocking and/or setting higher or lower voltages.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-wattman/

Is there any advice (pop up window or other) explaining WattMan usage implies automatic voiding of the GPU warranty?

Imagine a car manufacturer trying to explain you can't use the "eco" or "sport" modes it added to the car you want to buy without voiding the warranty.

o_O

13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    The PowerColor Radeon VII I have has a local 2 year warranty given by the local distributor......I'd assume Sapphire, Asus, etc, have similar local warranties. The other AMD cards, RX5xx and VEGA series, have 2-3 years warranties as well.

14. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    I think AMD's warranty limited only for 1 year is to defend their AIB partners,
    AMD doesn't want to compete with them.
    They sell it only to ensure the $699 MSRP so the retailers won't **** the customers with higher prices because of false "Low Stock" claims.
    On the other hand, the 2~3 years warranty from AIB partners that are sold in stores most likely gonna cost $50~$150 extra (Limited stock) so you can decide if the extra $$$ worth to pay for longer warranty.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Somewhere I have seen that keeping card cooler decreases power consumption too. 7nm may like being cool.
    AIO may be way to go for custom cards. I would not mind dual Navi AIO edition.

And I could even see myself buying $600~650 8GB Vega 7nm if it came with AIO.

jura11 likes this.

16. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    indeed, since the reference PCB already great, adding AIO shouldn't make the card too much expensive.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yep, mentioned that earlier.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Adored finally outs his R VII review.

Undying and HWgeek like this.
  19. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    TSMC's 7nm looks really good, already hitting 2270MHZ on AIO with power tweaks(same user in post above).
    So looks like GF was limiting VEGA/Ryzen clock's, good that AMD got free with 7nm and beyond.

Maddness and Fox2232 like this.
  20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Yeah saw some water cooling custom kit reports hitting 2 Ghz on the core clocks and 1200 on memory. Mostly benchmark numbers last I checked though so not too sure on scaling overall and performance gains though as one user on that Reddit topic said a stock water cooling kit on the GPU and boost at 2 Ghz by default would have been fun to see from AMD directly though I would expect it would come at a bit of a price premium.
    (Then again the stock water cooler on the Fury and Vega were also not that bad as I recall so a bit pricier would factor in for the build quality though it's already fairly rough in how it competes price/performance against 2080 though this might give it the edge slightly.)

EDIT: Though for professional or compute workloads it might have it's advantages too being even faster plus still less expensive than the Mi50 and the full Mi60 I suppose.

Especially if they could be binned too if the yields allowed for that, results with 1.0v and still hitting near 2 Ghz sounded impressive if boost can sustain it fully and without stability in some titles or benchmark runs which sounded like it had to be adjusted for at least one of them or it would crash. Essentially reducing the power usage and lessening heat and removing both factors from the thresholds and limiters for what the card operates under and sustaining the boost speeds 100% or close as can be with Vega. :)