Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I think they are over-volting the GPU's simply because they are pushing the clock and while some silicone can operate in spec frequency with less voltage- there are some silicone that won't be stable, so the easiest and cheapest solution is too over-volt them all to be stable at the specified clocks.
    And since they knew the reason they just added the AUTO Under-volt in the drivers for VEGA.

Maddness likes this.
  2. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    jura11 and vbetts like this.
  3. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    That means ANY change on clocks and voltages using the WattMan tool included in the official AMD GPU driver: overclocking, underclocking and/or setting higher or lower voltages.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-wattman/

Is there any advice (pop up window or other) explaining WattMan usage implies automatic voiding of the GPU warranty?

Imagine a car manufacturer trying to explain you can't use the "eco" or "sport" modes it added to the car you want to buy without voiding the warranty.

o_O

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    The PowerColor Radeon VII I have has a local 2 year warranty given by the local distributor......I'd assume Sapphire, Asus, etc, have similar local warranties. The other AMD cards, RX5xx and VEGA series, have 2-3 years warranties as well.

5. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    I think AMD's warranty limited only for 1 year is to defend their AIB partners,
    AMD doesn't want to compete with them.
    They sell it only to ensure the $699 MSRP so the retailers won't **** the customers with higher prices because of false "Low Stock" claims.
    On the other hand, the 2~3 years warranty from AIB partners that are sold in stores most likely gonna cost $50~$150 extra (Limited stock) so you can decide if the extra $$$ worth to pay for longer warranty.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Somewhere I have seen that keeping card cooler decreases power consumption too. 7nm may like being cool.
    AIO may be way to go for custom cards. I would not mind dual Navi AIO edition.

And I could even see myself buying $600~650 8GB Vega 7nm if it came with AIO.

jura11 likes this.
  7. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    indeed, since the reference PCB already great, adding AIO shouldn't make the card too much expensive.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yep, mentioned that earlier.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Adored finally outs his R VII review.

Undying and HWgeek like this.
  10. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    TSMC's 7nm looks really good, already hitting 2270MHZ on AIO with power tweaks(same user in post above).
    So looks like GF was limiting VEGA/Ryzen clock's, good that AMD got free with 7nm and beyond.

Maddness and Fox2232 like this.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah saw some water cooling custom kit reports hitting 2 Ghz on the core clocks and 1200 on memory. Mostly benchmark numbers last I checked though so not too sure on scaling overall and performance gains though as one user on that Reddit topic said a stock water cooling kit on the GPU and boost at 2 Ghz by default would have been fun to see from AMD directly though I would expect it would come at a bit of a price premium.
    (Then again the stock water cooler on the Fury and Vega were also not that bad as I recall so a bit pricier would factor in for the build quality though it's already fairly rough in how it competes price/performance against 2080 though this might give it the edge slightly.)

EDIT: Though for professional or compute workloads it might have it's advantages too being even faster plus still less expensive than the Mi50 and the full Mi60 I suppose.

Especially if they could be binned too if the yields allowed for that, results with 1.0v and still hitting near 2 Ghz sounded impressive if boost can sustain it fully and without stability in some titles or benchmark runs which sounded like it had to be adjusted for at least one of them or it would crash. Essentially reducing the power usage and lessening heat and removing both factors from the thresholds and limiters for what the card operates under and sustaining the boost speeds 100% or close as can be with Vega. :)

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The Adored video shows poor performance with the RTX 2080 in Rise of the Tomb Raider (Geothermal Valley) and where its choppy and stuttery. I confirm that on my card, but only when its in DX12 mode. DX11 has no such issues, so basically Nvidia needs to fix this in a new driver update. Adored claims this choppy/stuttery performance is due to lack of vram and points to an AMD marketing sheet a list of games that 'allocate' more than 8gb of vram (a misleading selling point for their 16gb R7) with no distinction between allocation/caching and actual need for the vram. Unless he is really that dumb not to know this, then his willfully being misleading or deceitful in his review. Remember, ROTR was released during the time of 4gb GPUs (2015).

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Well....like I said in another thread....doesn't matter what AMD does, people on this forum will still attack them... Based on the posts, I'm starting to wonder how many on this forum are shills or shareholders for NVidia.... Praise the RTX2080 and 2080Ti, even at ridiculous prices, but attack AMD for releasing a competitive product....

That's actually standard, if you read any warranty terms.... The warranty terms on my GTX970 say pretty much the same thing.

carnivore and Undying like this.
  14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    That Adored review haha, what a nonce.

What do you mean? Are we supposed to praise a GPU that performs worse and costs the same (or more) than a 5 month old 2080? What is there to praise exactly? That AMD came 2nd out of 2 competitors while doing it later?

When the 2080 and 2080ti launched, everyone was screaming their heads off complaining about the pricing.

AMD comes out 5 months later with an inferior card and we should praise it? Come on.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    2080 users so cringy lol :D

warlord likes this.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    So you think the RVII deserves praise?

17. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    They lose in spirit. GTX 1080ti, Titan Xp, 2080ti and Radeon VII, have more Vram than theirs. It is not quite an easy pill to swallow for them. :D Each passing day they are nervous that the opposing gpu has twice the ram. :p

Undying likes this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Not at all. Both 2080 and RVII are not worth the asking price.

I mean, take a look this new amazing feature you are getting instead of 16gb vram.

https://i.**********/QdSBYcZf/Untitled.png

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    And? the 2080 outperforms the 11gb 1080ti and the 16gb RVII. Why should they care? I'll take that over the extra vram that does nothing every day of the week.

Aura89 likes this.
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    You don't have to run DLSS. It's there if you want a boost to performance at a IQ cost. It's new tech and it might improve. Or it might not.

There's still ray tracing that looks great in Metro. Again, you can turn it on or off, it's up to you.

Ignore both technologies, the 2080 beats the RVII, overall. One thing for sure, if we're supposed to praise the RVII, we definitely should be praising the 2080 too. Because it's the better card.

If I was gaming at 4k, I would probably consider the RVII a bit more, it seems to perform nicely at 4k but at 1440p, it's a no brainer. Main thing is this, people should buy hardware that is suited for their needs.