1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. metagamer

metagamer Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    wow, thanks for clearing that up, Sherlock, who would have thought that? Of course they expect them to sell. And they will sell. But, they are in limited supply at minimum profit. They will make AMD pocket change money. And RVII is obviously a stop gap until Navi comes out, that's where their focus is, or at least I hope it is.

Now to back up what I said.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13923/the-amd-radeon-vii-review
    https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/126752-amd-radeon-vii/
    https://www.scan.co.uk/tekspek/gpu-graphics/amd-radeon-vii-graphics-card

I could go on about how the RVII is just a modified MI50, please say if you need me to back up my claim more, I have time today.

They make these chips already, have plenty of them. They slap them on a PCB and sell them to market.

About the cost of making these RVII cards, HBM2 16gb alone costs around $320. Do I need to add more? In comparison, 11gb of GDDR6 costs around $110. Cost of 8gb GDDR6 is around $80.

Now take into account that RVII is competing against the 2080. The cost of memory on the RVII is $320, the cost of memory on the 2080 is $80. Nvidia save $240 on memory alone on these cards, compared to AMD! This is why AMD never bothered spending money on R&D to make a RVII with GDDR6. Because even if they spent the money on R&D to make the RVII run with GDDR6 and release a cheaper RVII with GDDR6, Nvidia would just drop their prices, because they can. AMD's profit margin would remain same-ish with RVII GDDR6, but they would have to pay out for the R&D. Which makes no sense.

This is why they just slap these packages on a PCB and sell them at the price they do. And if you account that the memory itself costs $320, then add the actual gpu, manufacturing cost, all the overheads. They really make next to no profit. They're literally just using up whatever stock of these they have available to get shot of them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 5:16 PM
  2. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Buy at MSRP while you can, AMD gonna add Radeon VII to the Radeon™ Pro Software like Vega Frontier, and we all know how much it costs, IMO the retail prices gonna go up even more.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    Number one, calm yourself. Anymore behavior like that will result in points.

Number 2, as I said before the simple fact that they put them on the market as gaming cards, no matter what silicon is used means they expect profit from these. Already sold out in markets right now.

If you want to go on with that negative attitude though, you won't last long here.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    $320 is FUD and even there it is considered as worst case scenario. You should understand that rest of PCB will have similar cost as on Vega 64 due to having similar power draw. And all AMD's reference design have quite similar VRMs which provide much more power than needed.

I bet you can create few equations with few unknowns and get some values from them. That's if you finished 4th grade of elementary, yet.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    But you didn't really back it up - you said they aren't making money on this card and that "they don't care about it". You posted some cost numbers but - GN estimated the cost of the card between $450-550 with HBM2 numbers from a year ago (the $320) - down now since then. I think the margins are probably not great on this card - but they are definitely making something on each one sold. I also think "they don't care about it" isn't correct. If they didn't care about it why did they double the FP64 number based on customer feedback right before it launched? Why are they shipping Raedon Pro Drivers for it? Why did they enable INT4/8 on it for ML tasks? Why didnt' they just make it an MI40 if they could have priced it higher there? Or another Frontier card?

I think it being a stop-gap and AMD "not caring about it" are two different things. I think they clearly care that it sells well or else they wouldn't be doing all these things for it post launch, including shipping 3 free games with it.

6. spajdrik

spajdrik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
  8. toyo

toyo Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I do. It ticks a nice box in Defender. If your GPU can't do it, while the competition can, at a lower price, with better performance, and more technologies, you don't deserve our money.
    Where I live in EU:
    - VII = 1000USD preorder
    - RTX 2080, 3 fan, aftermarket, factory OC - 850USD
    -------
    ???

metagamer and sapo_joe like this.
  9. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080
    One word for Radeon VII:

Underwhelming.

warlord likes this.
  10. metagamer

metagamer Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    fail indeed but some will try to defend it.

warlord, cowie, RzrTrek and 1 other person like this.

11. toyo

toyo Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Most annoying part is that I'm not even an Nvidia fan, in fact I despise each of the big three, Intel, Nvidia, AMD, they're just amoral corporations that exist purely for profit.
    I expected AMD to disrupt pricing, not be even worse than RTX. So it makes the disappointment even more pronounced. It was like seeing a bad practice from the competition and instead of trying to benefit from correcting the greedy tendencies on Nvidia, they doubled down.
    As for the production cost, why even bother if you know you can't sell it at a good price and you're not making a profit? Just to get bad press and turn off potential customers like myself? Seems an incredibly stupid decision. I wonder who is making these decisions, cause they don't seem to be the same people responsible for Ryzen. We waited for that CPU for years while there was just the FX that was nowhere near Intel. We could have waited for a properly priced GPU just as well.

RzrTrek, warlord and cowie like this.
  12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    f'in a right yo

its comical how we are all so stupid, there was no great amd hero just the opposite
    not saying its a pos on gaming but jeez makes 7nm look very bad
    I need a card and not waiting for navi no way if its mostly new arc drivers will suck for years lol
    amd had nothing for nv and that guy knew it
    its ok you can say it.....he was right mostly

warlord likes this.
  13. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Disappointing.

warlord likes this.
  14. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    At least AMD is gonna be famous in sinking. :D

Veganic was huge, a bigger event than Titanic.!

15. Oversemper

Oversemper Member

GPU:
    R9 290x 1100/1400 (water)
    So if something is sold out and pre orders for a new batch higher in price than available rivals then this is a fail? May be for you, for the rest of the world fail for a new product is when it is not being sold and need big discounts for it to start getting sold. Somehow you need to understand that Nvidia does not make perfect GPUs even if they are perfect for your body and soul. AMD's GPU have their values otherwise they will never sell. For example, modern MACs (Apple), which I absolutely detest*, go solely with AMD GPUs. For somebody, like you, the fact that rad7 is a crippled MI50 is a personal failure, but for somebody its an instabuy.

*but I do not trash MACs in their reviews coz I acknowledge that they have certain advantages over windows PCs, otherwise they will never sell.

They did disrupt prices with rx480 (vs gtx980), they did disrupt prices with ryzen 6 and 8 cores (vs intel i7) and they highly likely to disrupt prices with 3rd gen ryzen 16 cores and rx680 (vs 1080). May be you just expect too much from AMD. And may be you should consider starting your own GPU making company if you think it is so easy to make a cheap and fast GPUs. Come on @toyo! Show 'em how make it!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 11:34 AM

16. metagamer

metagamer Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    You prove my point

17. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I will not be surprised if Apple will release the New Mac Pro with 32/48/64 Cores ThreadRipper(Custom spec's for Apple) + 16GB Vega VII/32GB 64CU VEGA VII variants (Also Apple spec's tuned), Finally the performance gap gonna be big enought to launch the new Mac Pro with Apple like Premium Price.
    The Hackintosh market getting bigger and bigger since users want Higher spec'ed Macs.

Oversemper likes this.
  18. Oversemper

Oversemper Member

GPU:
    R9 290x 1100/1400 (water)
    No, your point was that Rad7 is fail. And you could not prove it at all. You just playing with words like a kid. Go to a Mercedes forum and type "new GLE is a fail, but some will try to defend it" and you gonna get heck of a lot of proofs of your point.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Its a failed launch. Not necessarily a failed card... yet.

warlord likes this.
  20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapp. RX Vega 64 LC