1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    In Far Cry 5, at ultra settings and 2880 x 1620P (3K) resolution, and using the HD texture pack, the game uses over 10 gigs of VRAM on my GTX 1080 Ti. It fluctuates in demanding areas anywhere between 10.1 and 10.9 gigs. The 8GB of vram on the RTX 2080 is definitely going to be a limiting factor in the future.

2. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    So.. people saying AMD not making any money ..is this based off knowing memory prices are high? May have asked this before.. WHY are all AMD cards the same? hmm

3. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    NZ definitely have it better than the UK.

4. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    I don't know about that. Prices are pretty insane here. A 2080 Ti is between $2,000 for the EVGA Black to $2,800 for the MSI Lightening.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    For some reason, I assumed that the MSRP was/is 699, hence my comment. Sure, if I am willing to buy it, the mere 16 € I can stretch a little.
    Even so, that was the lowest price and the cards were out of stock, overall price goes up to 779€.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    MSRP in USD is stated without local tax as each state has different one. We have taxes in EU too and quite higher.

warlord likes this.
  7. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    Not sure why so many people who use some sort of dollar that isn't USD are unable to use simple math.
    2,000 New Zealand Dollar equals 1,195.47 Euro

So you have the same prices, just like we do here in Europe.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    It is called VAT, and I would imagine you have heard of it.

The card was also available for between £649 and £699 on the day of release, which is the MSRP after factoring in value added tax in the EU. Beyond that, prices are dictated by supply and demand, exactly the same as when mining pushed prices up.

Fox2232 and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    You have no idea about how economy works, if you think the only tax is vat.

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Yes, we must have got the cards cheaper than MSRP.

Makes perfect sense.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    If they didn't care about selling these cards, they wouldn't have announced the Radeon VII at CES and go through with such a rushed market date.

12. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    all they're doing is getting rid of MI50 chips at next to no profit. Still better than throwing them away, mind, but they hardly make any money out of the sales so yeah, they don't really care.

13. Oversemper

Oversemper Member

GPU:
    R9 290x 1100/1400 (water)
    A real AMD GPU sales department insider at last! Thank you and please keep us updated on the AMD's misery.

14. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Your subjective view does not equal fact about AMD sales tactics.

15. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Nor does yours. But, it's a MI50 card. And they're making next to no profit from sales. Those are facts.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    They could have sold them likely like MI40. There was certain "need" for Something above Vega 64, so they used it here. But card is more suitable for professional/creative use.

As for those profits... AMD gets chips from forge, sells them at certain premium. That's their regular profit.
    Total profit on card is something else. Yes, $550~600 for 8GB version would make great gaming card. But for now, they sell all they can produce, and that's win.

Remind me of few things... 1st is profit margin AMD's financial results state.
    And then price of 7nm chip of similar size as this new Vega 7nm has.
    Then kindly increase value above enough to enable AMD to meet usual profit margin.
    What is actual price AMD has to ask per each 7nm Vega GPU to meet their revenue?

17. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Fact alone that they put them on the market and expect them to sell. But if you're gonna make such claims, you should probably back them up or stop speculating.

18. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Well, considering that Radeon VII has the same MSRP Vega 64 LC (XTX) had. I won't call it cash and grab, since it has some perks. If you do your homework, Vega 64 LC (XTX) is very close to Radeon VII performance. AMD has not good prices at all. We shouldn't forget at many occasions Vega 64 Liquid Cooled was equally or more expensive than the superior 1080ti back in the days. It wasn't a smart buy at all. They never learn.

19. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    wow, thanks for clearing that up, Sherlock, who would have thought that? Of course they expect them to sell. And they will sell. But, they are in limited supply at minimum profit. They will make AMD pocket change money. And RVII is obviously a stop gap until Navi comes out, that's where their focus is, or at least I hope it is.

Now to back up what I said.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13923/the-amd-radeon-vii-review
    https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/126752-amd-radeon-vii/
    https://www.scan.co.uk/tekspek/gpu-graphics/amd-radeon-vii-graphics-card

I could go on about how the RVII is just a modified MI50, please say if you need me to back up my claim more, I have time today.

They make these chips already, have plenty of them. They slap them on a PCB and sell them to market.

About the cost of making these RVII cards, HBM2 16gb alone costs around $320. Do I need to add more? In comparison, 11gb of GDDR6 costs around $110. Cost of 8gb GDDR6 is around $80.

Now take into account that RVII is competing against the 2080. The cost of memory on the RVII is $320, the cost of memory on the 2080 is $80. Nvidia save $240 on memory alone on these cards, compared to AMD! This is why AMD never bothered spending money on R&D to make a RVII with GDDR6. Because even if they spent the money on R&D to make the RVII run with GDDR6 and release a cheaper RVII with GDDR6, Nvidia would just drop their prices, because they can. AMD's profit margin would remain same-ish with RVII GDDR6, but they would have to pay out for the R&D. Which makes no sense.

This is why they just slap these packages on a PCB and sell them at the price they do. And if you account that the memory itself costs $320, then add the actual gpu, manufacturing cost, all the overheads. They really make next to no profit. They're literally just using up whatever stock of these they have available to get shot of them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  20. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Buy at MSRP while you can, AMD gonna add Radeon VII to the Radeon™ Pro Software like Vega Frontier, and we all know how much it costs, IMO the retail prices gonna go up even more.