1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    In some titles here and in reviews all over the net, rtx2080 destroys radeon vii and red fans,

blame the driver. Easy way to think for compensation. Rtx 2080 is overall a superior gpu for gaming and everyday's use. More power, more features, less temp, less noise, less consumption. I would never recommend Radeon_VII. Neither I would buy it, unless I would like to test freesync on a TV. That's all. I will not play the role of semi professionalism.

2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    I agree in gaming Radeon VII is meh, in some games performing pretty good in some doesn't but this can be down to drivers which hopefully will improve

16GB of VRAM and HBM memory looks great if you edit or use GPUs for rendering in AMD ProRender or LuxRender or any renderer which is based on OpenCL

I still thinking getting one for my brother or myself which I would use for OpenCL testing and rendering in LuxRender as this GPU eats 2080Ti

Performance in Blender Cycles and AMD ProRender is strange and bit disappointing where I expected it will be bit faster

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I think the part about this card that is being swept under the rug by a lot of people is that AMD killed Crossfire on this card. That would have been a great opportunity to actually make use of the 16GB of VRAM.

Why is no one even talking about this?

yasamoka and warlord like this.
  4. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    It doesn't matter. Perhaps it's time to kill MultiGPU for good. GPU vendors/manufacturers should not have any obligation to support multiple configurations, but it should be up to game developers themselves in the first place to utilize it. That's the road AMD started to follow with Radeon 7.

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 Gaming
  6. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac mini
    Not to sure about this card. The 7nm manufacturing is astonishing. Seems everything else about the card is just bolted on. Kind of a kit gpu. :p

7. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti G1 GAMING OC
    I need to see a Doctor about my constant hard on for my 1080Ti.

Loophole35 likes this.
  8. FM57

FM57 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Rumor mills say 40 units for the UK and 20 for France at launch (this year ?)

So, even if the card is great and all, it will be close to impossible to buy.

A good excuse as well to wait for the true next AMD generation...

9. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    I read somewhere that in UK was 200 cards in oc.uk mostly. Scan.co.uk had some too.
    I mean had, all gone, and only "preorder" option is now available....

10. HWgeek

HWgeek Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p

11. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    NO. crossfire is not working.

It only works as D3D12AFR.

Any API with no software forced multigpu capability, will not utilize more than 1 gpu. AMD does not enable crossfire from driver level anymore at least for VII.

Maddness likes this.
  12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    MSI AMD Radeon VII 16 GB HBM2 for 754,90€ can be had in Spain ... strange how 699 US dollars have become 755 €.
    I am waiting for Navi or better drivers from AMD.

13. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    EU MSRP is 739 eur. So what you're seeing is 16 eur over MSRP.

So you were ready to buy a 739 eur gpu but you can't stretch to the extra 16 eur? Sure, I believe that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  14. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    That moment, 699$ = 617.56€. So it is kinda fcked up. 739€ = 836.54$. Then we go, 836.54$-699$=137.54$. People should start boycott PC gaming, they are worse criminals than politicians. That black holed "137.54$" could save poor people lives. Nuff said.

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    On the AMD side, this is pretty much all they can do. They already lose I believe $50 per Radeon VII sold, the HBM stacks alone are about $300 some dollars.

warlord likes this.

16. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    $699 = £540. Yet the cheapest RVII in stock right now in the UK after checking 3 major etailers (OcUK/Novatech/Scan) is £799. You really have nothing co complain about.

warlord likes this.
  17. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    AMD actually don't care about selling these cards because they make no money out of them. It's a throwaway release and definitely not a gaming card to compete with Nvidia.

RzrTrek likes this.
  18. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Well, that wasn't for AMD in particular. Just a generic observation, supposedly the world's economy and especially european are at some kind of crisis for years. That losing money neither benefits corporations and factories, nor customers in my opinion. We are heading towards to a dead end.

Surely there are worse prices from country to country or retailer to retailer, but there are moments, that we should consider some amount as stolen. All that dozen kind of taxes here and there, have started to become a huge boulder, that is coming to us with an unpredictable landing destination.

19. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    not really, UK get raped the most.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    NZ or Venezuela get screwed more.