1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Radeon VII (16GB)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today is the day we may present you the benchmark review of the all new Radeon VII. VII as in fabricated on that 7nm node. The Radeon VII is a product that has been talked about for quite a while. With a die-shrink towards a 7nm fabricated package and 16GB of HBM2, the card is released in an aim to compete with the GeForce RTX 2080; will it be capable to do that?

Read the review right here.

XenthorX, tunejunky, Valken and 14 others like this.
  2. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    Thanks!

warlord likes this.
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Awesome.

Edit.

Performance is mostly as expected.

Some numbers do seem a bit off, although the big picture suggests perhaps requiring driver improvements or even some kind of limitation in other hardware. Power usage, heat and noise are still not to the standard I would have liked to see, but improved compute performance is offered. Perhaps not right now, but the latter could potentially bring benefit to games.

Overall, a good graphics card, but I would expect some quick fixes from AMD Radeon if driver improvements are in fact the cause of the noted fluctuations in performance. Finally, as noted by @Hilbert Hagedoorn, current graphics card prices appear to be too high.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Laughing after reading specs table. A lot of people will cry and none will admit that their early comments were biased without base.

... time to read more...

Edit: Card is good, price tag is justified. AMD will sell all they can make.

I am not about to buy it. Still waiting for Navi as I do for few years.
    = = = =
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn : Can you measure GPU clock and card's power consumption under following conditions?
    - Idle GPU for all cases and 1080p screens
    - > only one screen at 60Hz connected
    - > 2 screens at 120Hz connected
    - > 2 screens at 240Hz connected

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    warlord likes this.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    So FP64 is 1:4? How is that the specs got misreported on that twice lol?

Card looks great in DX12.

Undying and warlord like this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Interesting card. Considering its a Vega56 7nm this performance uplift is amazing. I im sure AMD will push 64cu 7nm chip later this year, maybe even before Navi hits.

warlord likes this.
  7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Best case is BF5 (surprise) where it is knocking on the door of the 2080ti and well ahead of the 2080.

Most cases its slower than the 2080 and actualy close to the 1080 in performance.

The light of hope is there but the drivers need to mature. (I'm still dumbfounded the AMD driver team can still launch a GCN based card with under-performing drivers).

The bad part is it spends a lot of time trading blows with a card that consumes 120W less power and the noise level at load.... I hope that's just a faulty fan and they aren't all that loud. Temps look great though (I would hope so with the sound produced).

airbud7 and warlord like this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    That does sound like a rather neat gaming card too. I just think it's quite loud under load... might be a good candidate for non-reference coolers, if those come around.

warlord likes this.
  9. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    It's more like an unreleased Vega60 at 7nm. ;)

K.S., Aura89 and Undying like this.
  10. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    Interesting performance. I only cannot justify that price for gaming only.

It's clearly a gpu for someone who needs 16gb vram and that huge fp64 performance for a mere consumer gpu. That's all.

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Fantastic article as usual.

I think one of your phrases in the review summarize it very well:

This GPU came too late and it's too expensive to compete on the gaming GPU market VS RTX 2080 performance.

At the same price there is no valid reason to buy this GPU instead of a RTX 2080 for gaming.

Romulus_ut3, tensai28, Aura89 and 2 others like this.
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Well, we shall see in two years from now, what's faster: 2080, 1080TI or Radeon VII ;)

13. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    really concerning..... 300 watts at 7nm is a big issue for AMD and these noise levels.....
    I think this card is decent but I'd still go with RTX 2080.

airbud7 and Loophole35 like this.
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    OMG That's a Beast !!!
    THX H.H. :D

PS.
    As i said, It will be Faster and consumes less tW.
    BIOS Board power is set (like in V64) at 264tW.
    Now UV and OC HBM2 (>1TB/s lol) and give -8% POW -> You end up with same FPS but 220-245tW

15. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn Please sir, if you kindly can benchmark Resident Evil II. It's important as a key selling title for that gpu.

Maddness and Caesar like this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Many reviewers said driver is not ready yet performance and overclocking will improve.

BlackZero, warlord and HARDRESET like this.
  17. sneipen

sneipen Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Weird numbers in bf. 1 place in 1080p, and drops as soon resolution goes up. Would think it would do better in higher res.
    Cards performes about what i expected after watcing and reading about it, wondering if future drivers will bumb up performance. Or are they allready at the limit of what the card can do?
    If i should buy a new gpu today i would consider 1080ti. Seems to be the king when it comes to price vs performance. If i crap money, 2080ti is the king and a very nice card. To bad its pricerange is batshit crazy.... o_O
    If amd droped price 50-100usd i think it would be a better deal. Have mixed feelings about this card, price is my main issue considering performance..

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Great review Boss , thank you. I feel they need good drivers asap as the performance is all over the place , once the drivers are more optimized we shall see the true performance , meanwhile it looks like the card it is doing great at high resolutions and that HBM huge frame buffer and bandwidth surely helps a lot there. Price is a little on the high side.

tunejunky and airbud7 like this.
  19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    What a noisy bastard...

TPU reports the same.

Loophole35 likes this.
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn RE2 remake and upcoming Anthem/Metro games will be nice include instead of some older ones on the list there. ;)

airbud7 and Maddness like this.