1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 14, 2017.

1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Neither of them are as terrible as some reviewers are making them out to be, you just need to spend a bit of time undervolting them. For example, I ran my 1080 @ 2050MHz w/ 1.093v and was always running into a power limiter around 240W. I've since brought it down to 2000MHz w/ 1.000v and in benches (Heaven, Firestrike, Gears 4) I have a peak of 202W while averaging ~185W. Games end up more like 150W-170W even when I push things as hard as I can to still maintain 60FPS minimums. From the preliminary Vega tests @ Gamers Nexus, it looks like it is following in Polaris' footsteps as far as undervolting goes. My next step is to test my 2000MHz/5550Mem clocks down in the 0.9xx volts but I haven't had the time yet.

For reference, at stock my card boosts up to 1835MHz w/ 1.042 and consumes 5W-10W more than my OC'd profile. I like having higher clocks, lower voltage, lower temps, lower fan speeds and lower temperatures versus stock.

Obviously I'm not getting a Vega since I have a 1080, but if the AIB Vega 56 cards can clock well and undervolt nicely I will surely recommend one to my friend with a 380X who just got an HTC Vive. I hope for good times ahead, hopefully the competition will benefit us consumers and gamers.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. Lilith

Lilith Member Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 1080 EXOC 8Gb
    I'm always confused by things like drivers on release day.....like I mean they've been showing these cards off for awhile now, did they just like tell Frank the head of the driver department "Oh ****, Frank, we need a driver by Friday for Vega, make it happen!" :3eyes: Is that why we get the "oh duh yea sorry guys we know our BETA driver is a bit flakey" excuse or? You would think it would be a priority to show off overclocking and have stability, right?:rolleyes:

3. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    performance is good, right where i expected it pretty much. power draw is a little much, but if you crunch the #s its not going to cause anyone but miners problems with their power bill. anyway, ill be glad when the drivers mature. [H] suspects an AA bug in vega cards, as any shader-based solution is quite efficient - but MSAA is not

idle power draw is 10w higher than 1080. realistically thats not going to affect room temp significantly even over time

4. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

Yeah, I can get the idle power value from other reviews, and figure out the relative impact. The point is, I shouldn't have to go to other reviews for this. It's an important spec. More important than where the name of the star came from.

5. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    ive seen hilbert post idle wattage figures before. maybe it just slipped his mind because hes been busting his ass since siggraph :p i find the background info on codenames quite neat & am personally more interested to read that in the intro than idle wattage on the power consumption results...but meanwhile, your points perfectly sensible.

6. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Nvidia is so far ahead of these guys it's not even realistic to think they will ever catch up at this point. Nvidia's cards run cooler too, which is something I care about.

But ANY improvements for AMD are great because they go into the consoles. So at least these cards are out there, and they are decent. I'm glad AMD is here, but I would never even think about using them for PC based on Gameworks alone appearing in some of my favorite games. Sad but true.

7. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil 8GB
    Look I said it before and I will say it again. AMD had so much R&D into Vega that even though it's a year late to the party and it cand stand next to the 1080Ti, they just have to launch it to try and recover some of the money. With that said if Nvidia holds back their Volta lineup then AMD will be in a good position to sell quit a bit of these cards given the fact that they are know for making exceptional gains in performance with driver updates on a new product like this. The one thing that is strange though is that the HBM2 is not helping them at 4K compared to Nvidia. I would have thought that is where they will make up ground in terms of performance. Clearly I was thinking wrong. Well now we just have to see how these cards mine.
    I must say though that the Vega 56 at the price is performing well.

8. RmVA

RmVA Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    No tax if you are buying out of state (online). This is one big advantage in pricing in the US. In UK, Germany, etc. there is no way to avoid the VAT.. Plus import tax cost (if any) and profit for EU products :puke2: .

9. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    To be honest, as someone else said, this card make sense with the high cost of gsync.

To get 1080 performance, a vega 64 and a free sync monitor is way cheaper than a 1080 + a gsync monitor.

Then if you have money to throw, ok go with 1080ti and gsync, of course.

10. RmVA

RmVA Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    :stewpid:

Seems to make sense in a bundle with the rest of AMD stuff.

When buying Ryzen, Vega and a free sync monitor, one would save a reasonable amount of cash while having comparable performance to an Intel/nVidia/GSync powered machine.

11. mnemo05

mnemo05 Member

GPU:
    Zotac 980Ti AMP! OC
    okay-ish attempt by amd, maybe in another generation or two they will be able to catch up

honestly though, the more i look at these results the more itch i feel in upgrading my 980ti to 1080ti. if not for the smoothness my gsync monitor offers, i would have upgraded already.

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Just as a side note relating to your comments about undervolting Pascal with the following caution. I tried doing that by using MSI Afterburner and the Ctrl-F curve by locking the card at a certain Mhz and voltage - I was able to "apparently" run 2150Mhz at 1.0V as seen in the Sensors in GPUz which was ridiculous - the actual benchmark scores were low and in the region of my card when it's at 1950Mhz. What I'm saying here is that I believe "MSI Afterburner Ctrl-F curve and locking" mechanism is bugged, I even think the card's not actually running at the reported frequencies when using this method, even though it says it's running at those frequencies on the GPUz Sensors tab. That whole overclocking curve thing in Afterburner is a ridiculous red herring in my opinion, and is easily bugged & provides misleading results. I have a feeling that quite a few people who report running their Pascal cards at massive clocks combined with low voltages are using this bugged Afterburner curve, and as a result I think a lot of them aren't getting the performance that their clock speed might suggest.

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Interesting. It does all seem to good to be true. I'll be testing this more in depth tomorrow night. On topic, still can't wait to see if AIB partners can really bring Vega 56 to life.

14. sneipen

sneipen Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Strange, here its cheaper or on par with the 1080. And im talking about the one with watercooling.

15. foetopsyRus

foetopsyRus Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X

Intel Core i7-6700K 5.00GHz
    MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G@2101/11050

Fire Strike: 20 528
    Graphics Score: 25 505

Fire Strike Extreme: 11 105
    Graphics Score: 12 092

Fire Strike Ultra: 5 947
    Graphics Score: 5 928

Time Spy: 8 035
    Graphics Score: 8 434

16. nekrik

nekrik Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti Msi gaming X
    Great review. As for The actual product imho it is an utter failure. Same performance as gtx 1080 in general with much higher power consumption / heat generation due to higher tdp . Much more noisier, for god's sake 45 DBa in load ? Wtf AMD. All that a year later ? Product is pure garbage with no pros over gtx 1080 whatsoever.

17. Evildead666

Evildead666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega64EKWB 240PP12V
    LDLC have the Vega64 at 504€ after a coupon code rebate that they give you on the same page as the card details :)

Only one coupon per order could hold some of the miners back from buying in bulk, and even better if it was one coupon per Credit card/Household...

18. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    I'd like to see how this card does for video production compared to my 1080.
    Would like to see some benchmarks for scientific calcs too.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 1500/1075
    [​IMG]

Smaller result is the better. This is in seconds.

So it does something right.

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    That's all true but charging 1k then 1.5k for watercooled edition for a card that doesn't even reach the GTX 1070 at times is a shame.

Those price brackets are horrible

You can't expect someone to pay MORE for a slower card! Yet people do it anyway which is beyond me. Anybody buying those cards are shooting themselves in the foot (metaphorically). If someone is to buy something in that price range they are better off with TITAN Xp.