Review: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (reference)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Priced at $479 USD, AMD released their 'mainstream to high-end Radeon RX 6700 XT. A product that is to battle with the RTX 3060 Ti and 3070 from team green. Armed with 12GB of graphics memory, will it offer enough performance for a graphics card with such a massive pricetag?

Read the review here.

JonasBeckman, XenthorX and Legacy-ZA like this.
  2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    So .... RTX 3060 gets Top pic reward , obviously crappy card ( biggest disappointment - by many reviewers and users. ) and we got whole paragraph - discussion about MSRP price , nice nonsense.
    And only argument is lack of RT/DLSS and bad msrp price .
    Wake up man , there isn't any msrp prices , and RT/DLSS is usless on 3060 ( not much better on 3060 ti ).

"You can get 3070 for 20$ more " You can ? please show me one place that you will be able to buy 3070 at price of 6700XT.

I'm bit disappointed by the review.

apple020997, Fediuld and sierra like this.
  3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    :yawn:

(not much to say, really ... thanks @Hilbert Hagedoorn for the effort, but yet another product that makes no financial sense for actual gamers. Miners will buy it in droves though... they will buy anything)

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    @kapu That's okay, I've been battling the conclusions for days and knew some would not agree. The only basis for conclusions right now can be MSRP, as at one point things will return to normal to that level (at least I hope so).

In the end, this is a WQHD domain card with MSRP prices starting at close to 500 bucks. That same domain was half that money a while ago.

The 3060 and 3060 Ti start at an MSRP of 329 and 399 USD, also too much as stated in the article(s), but where do we draw the line of what is acceptable? To me, this makes no sense anymore. If you disagree, by all means .. pick one up.

386SX, Cave Waverider, Airbud and 9 others like this.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    What a disappointing products. You can sort of justify both 6800 and 6800XT (at retail price) by their shaders performance but this one not so much. It should be the same price (+ inflation) as the 5700 XT was to make any sense. At 420$ it could make some sort of sense but not at 480$.

I wish the 3070 would have 10GB of memory. Right now everything is out of stock but when cards will become available again i'll remain hesitant to buy a 3070 because of the 8GB of memory. So i guess it will be either a 3080 or a 6800.

Fediuld likes this.
  6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Everyone is doing cash grab right now , and AMD set price accordingly to performance/market situation , if we use actual prices it is in the top performance/$ from all new cads .
    Once things will return to normal , AMD will change prices so will NVidia.

Raytracing is far from being viable on mid ( even higher end GPUs), even with DLSS cards are struggling to get 50 FPS at 1080.

You buy AMD you forget RT you forget DLSS and you live on with great raster performance - whole RDNA2 was build around raster performance and 1080/1440p gaming , nothing else - if that is what you want they are amazing cards , you want something else ? Get nvidia . These are two different products

I don't get people who get any hopes of DLSS or RT on AMD current gen - that is not going to happen in ANY meaningful ways.

EVEN at MSRP , the card is almost 30% faster than 3060 ( yea almost 30%!!!) . At is one of the BEST performance/$ card in the world .

3060 gets badge ? 6700xt not ? You should do more thinking on subject

If you want continue msrp debate you should post graph similar to this.

https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt/images/performance-per-dollar_2560-1440.png

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Such high frequencies, too bad the card isn't very efficient.
    Feels like despite its best efforts, AMD cannot topple nVidia...at least yet.

8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Scaling down the GPU doesn't look good this generation- i was honestly expecting more in terms of efficiency - it kinda blows compared to 6800 , look at 3060 same thing happened . Only the top models are efficient 6800 and 3070/3080

Fediuld likes this.
  9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    There's a danger about using DLSS to justify products though. It's a great technology but it should be considered a bonus. If people start using this as a excuse to justify overpriced entry level products then it becomes a big trouble.

apple020997, AlmondMan and mohiuddin like this.
  10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    They can't even topple themselves.
    5700XT launched in 2019, and this one, while 25%'ish faster, is also 25% ish more expensive (and not even talking about scalper prices...)

MRSP = stagnation
    Real prices = regression

Ridiculous, GPU market is dead.
    I'm done, when my existing GPU dies, no more gaming for me. Time to find another hobby.

AlmondMan, vestibule, Fediuld and 6 others like this.

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    this is exactly what DLSS/RT is on 3060. IT really pains me it got badge here on guru3d , but i guess i have to live with that :D

mikeysg likes this.
  12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If the crypto insanity didn't exist and cards were selling at roughly the MSRP, I most certainly wouldn't pay the premium for this card, compared to the RTX 3060 Ti. Of course this one has more memory, but since this isn't meant for 4k, I wonder if it makes that much of a difference still a couple of years from now. For me personally, since I'm still sporting a 1080p screen, I reckon 8GB will continue to suffice, so I wouldn't be willing to pay that much more for the extra RAM. If the prices were the same, you might then try to decide between better RT+DSLL with Nvidia or more VRAM with AMD. I guess in non-RT scenarios the performance edge is ever so slightly on AMD's side as well.

But of course this is all empty talk since MSRP doesn't exist, nor do the cards, for that matter, outside of crypto mining caves.

AlmondMan likes this.
  13. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    This card should be priced at 400 euros. At most.
    But AMD knows that the demand is much higher than the offer, in the current market, so they increased the price.

Fediuld likes this.
  14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    The 3060 is not a crappy card. In fact it's much better than the 6700XT. It's very close in performance while costing significantly less. The 3060 is just a meh product. It's not an upgrade for most people who upgrade every 2-3 years. And for budget conscious buyers who upgrade once upon a blue moon it's kind of expensive. At 320$ it means once things are back to normal 3rd party cards will be in the neighbourhood of 360-380$ which is kind of expensive for such a product but still less ridiculous than the 6700XT at 480$. The 6700XT is a good 80-100$ overpriced. It's as bad as the 2070 Super price was but without the performance.

AuerX likes this.
  15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's over priced for the performance when compared to the 3060ti. I was expecting almost 3070 performance for $20 les MSRP not slightly better than 3060ti performance for $100 more MSRP. When stuff settles down I expect this to get an official price cut.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I think 8GB is more than enough for 1080p and 2k gaming. The only place where it can be a problem is 4k and so far i think it was seen only in Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K + raytracing + DLSS where the 3070 which is usually performing better than the 2080 Ti was beat by the 2080 Ti probably because it has less memory. 8GB could be problematic for the 3070 at 4k raytracing moving forward but certainly not for the 3060 Ti at 2k.

Kaarme likes this.
  17. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Mediocre and overpriced, Not much of a try from AMD.

meh

Fediuld likes this.
  18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Very close performance ? It's FAR from it , 30% is very far, not remotely close.
    It is crappy card as has worst performance per watt from RTX3 stack. Mediocre raster performance . Per $ it is worse than 6700XT , get your numbers straight :)

apple020997, Fediuld and Kosmoz like this.
  19. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    I can't believe I agree, I think it's time I move on to a new hobby. I remember when I was a teenager, I could work on weekends etc, save up and buy my computer hardware. Now I can't even do this while holding a job. Prices are out of control. All-round bullshit.

This card will definitely help with availability, however, it's overpriced for what it gives at $480, for $20 more (assuming MSRP prices) the 3070 is the way better buy, considering you also get DLSS and better Raytracing performance, AMD is making "mistake" pricing the RX6700 this high, I think they are trying to cash in on the low supply and high demand, absolutely disgusting. All this, AMD and nVidia claiming, these cards are for gamers. I don't see one in my machine, now do I? Stuck with my dying 660Ti and I will NOT, procreating WON'T buy them at these prices ludicrous price points we are forced into.

You will have to excuse the language, but being nice about this situation, is no longer an option, they need to know and read when they see something like this, people ARE NOT HAPPY.

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Having purchased a 3090, I still find RDNA 2.0 fascinating. Almost 2.8GHz frequencies, and the whole thing seems like a very straight shooter architecturally. Using texture units for raytracing was genious, the cache was a great idea. Both can be easily scaled for the next generation.

RDNA 2.0 doesn't seem to require to have the constant shader pressure that Ampere requires to shine.

This specific product is too expensive, and lack of DLSS is what would make it DOA for me, but AMD has always been hounded by their software ecosystem.