Review: AMD Radeon RX 5700 and 5700 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    Yea definitely to do with where I live I think lol. To be fair It used to be so much worse but the general public started to catch on in recent years especially during that time when AUD was on parity with USD. I do believe this is the retailers way to help clear old 2070/80 stocks to make way for the Super but we'll see I'm not really holding my breath for any significant price reductions either.

2. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Hmm, is the blower style cooler that bad?

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    ^ the problem with this guy is that he assumes every single card is exactly like his sample. Its not, if we go by the disparity of results of multiple reviews. Hilbert got a good sample in his review, while apparently TPU did not. As well as other wildly varying results of other reviewers. Its this inconsistency that might be of concern. This also happens with Nvidia cards (not usually with review samples, as Nvidia is more careful to cherry pick them for reviewers), but we may occasionally see cards that are quite a bit off the norm vs review samples, and I've seen some buyers return their cards because of this. Point is, it seems there may be greater inconsistency with Navi ref blowers if we just go by the reviews that reported their disparate findings. This youtuber never acknowledges that something like this could happen.

Picolete and airbud7 like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    On other hand there are people who undervolted even more. But it is not like everyone will undervolt. Apparently Hilbert's stock voltage testing is adequate.
    And most of reviewers are looking at OC 1st instead of looking at card's weakness and see what can be done with it.
    From voltage to clock results I have seen, there will be no issue to fit double the size GPU with around 1.8X performance of 5700 XT under 300W on exactly same 7nm.

Jagman likes this.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This is so true^...I had 2 HD4890's back in the day one Sapphire and an XFX both @stock and the XFX constantly got 10+fps over the Sapphire...

Damn thing blew up after 6 months of hard gaming though!...Grrrrr...:D

Edit: I think I just linked a member here called stock using "@" lol

SpajdrEX likes this.
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Idk man, LTT 5700XT literally shut down in the menu of games due to overheating. There is inconsistency and then there is just bad design. This cooler is the latter - sometimes you need to call a spade a spade.

Navi is without a doubt a great card at the price point but people should definitely be waiting to get AIB cooled cards or plan on swapping the cooler themselves.

Hopefully the outcry here pushes AMD towards better stock cooling in the future.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I would like to see that. Because it is not 1st blower AMD used for cards of given TBP. And from measurements, those cards actually eat less energy (produce less heat) than otehr blower equipped cards from past.

I can see that use of that graphite pad may cause issues in some cases. But it is not like one can't replace it with regular thermal compound.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti

Occurs at some point in this video. And yeah maybe there is variance but when the variance leads to multiple sites confirming the cooler is bad, including one where it's literally shutting the computer down, I think you kind of have to say it's bad. It's the only way things get fixed.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Video has few issues. Like incorrectly set up encoder.
    Overheating:
    - apparently menu statement is dumb, it is still rendered
    - As above, making statement about issue, but not showing any details. Not providing what software issued encode for GPU. Was it re-live? OBS? Did they capture video in lossless state and encoded it offline? And same goes for overheating issue.

I doubt that they did not take card apart. Yet, no word about it.
    - Like: "And we replaced TIM and that did (not) fix the issue."

I wonder how can someone say (LLT) in two sentences right after each other that AMD introduced new visually lossless Display Stream Compression that enables 8K 60Hz w/ HDR and then believe same company makes encoding engine that can't provide better than mediocre compression for 1080p.
    While Navi has actually higher compression power than 2080Ti and therefore can do much more work on encoded material before it spits it out.

I have seen reddit post and some other from people who have temperature issues showing that blower RPM did not increase. And here is info from one of reviews:
    Hilbert's OC to 2090MHz with increased voltage and blown out power limits resulted in 82°C. While blower still being at 43%.
    I say that this difference between card that certainly pulls good 250W and stays at 82°C against stock card that reaches 95°C says something else than that cooling is bad.

It says that either some people messed with their card. Or that there was bad assembly. That can happen.

If you want to blame AMD directly, do so for not automatically increasing blower speed as temperature goes over 90°C.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    So it's still AMD-side problem then.

Tbh, the XT for the money is really appealing, but, we definitely need to see the AIB cards.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I should have clarified re 'inconsistency'. Main thing I was referring to was the TIM application (regardless of design of card). I have even seen good AIB cards with well designed cooling have wildly inconsistent temps due to poorly applied TIM. Have owned a Fermi back in the day and improved its temps by several degrees just by re-applying the TIM. I'm sure many of us have done that or encountered others who have done this in forums. This process should be well implemented by GPU makers to reduce such inconsistencies to a minimum. Here is where I think AMD slacked off a bit, at least with the 5700xt samples given to reviewers. I could be wrong, but this is my general impression.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Who does the ASUS blower card comes from? AMD or ASUS? Who do you have warranty against? AMD or ASUS?

Cooling solution is clearly sufficient. Assembly may not be perfect. Card with blower sent by AIB is responsibility of that AIB same way as custom AIB card.

AMD's responsibility is to ensure blower rpm ramp-up to provide adequate rpm to given temperature. Then their responsibility is vBIOS fail-safe for overheating that actually does kick in.
    But as along as card is assembled correctly, those 43% of RPM are clearly sufficient to keep card's thermals in check.
    But poorly assembled card that has not been check for assembly issues could overheat even with 100% RPM on blower.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I think cooling should be an non issue just slap an aio cooler on it,if your anal about it
    or you can wait for an aib card with a aio on it and pay $150 more:D

airbud7 likes this.
  14. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Looks like issues par for the course.

15. platypus

platypus Active Member

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    No it's not an AMD side problem, it's people who don't understand what these reference cards are.
    They are not for us, the enthusiast, these are designed for OEMs like Dell and apple who insist on putting powerful cards in cramped cases with little to no airflow. Hot air must be expelled from these cases. You will not see AMD drop these coolers anytime soon.

Look at these cards as an early glimpse before our cards arrive. The aib cards.

The fan not ramping isnt great, I agree wholeheartedly, but it will be fixed.

My asus 290x has been running at 90°+ for years. Never had an issue FWIW.
    I can switch bios to make it run cooler (and slower) if I want. It's never bothered me.

16. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Good point actually, I hadn't thought about that :)

17. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    You still end-up with it being an AMD problem. Usage scenario is irrelevant. If the fan curve isn't aggressive enough, then, there'll be inadequate cooling. These kind of problems are usually fixed in software (driver). People need to stop defending these kind of issues just because it's AMD. It's not like Nvidia haven't had this kind of issue before.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Not everyone has that => assembly issue. Even with blower at max, badly assembled card will have heat dissipation trouble.
    Same applies to HD 7970 I used to have. I did slap Accelero Xtreme on it and it was fine. But in cousin's PC, years of weight on one side pushed TIM away from between GPU and heatpipes. Resulted in overheating issue and need to repaste.

19. platypus

platypus Active Member

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Ok you're having a go at the fan profiles and not the cooler itself. My mistake.

Yep I agree, its embarrassing for them, this stuff should not be happening.
    Happens too much in the gaming world, software that needs patching on release day. Does nobody test anymore?

20. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Let's not assume this issue only applies to badly assembled coolers.