Review: AMD Radeon RX 5700 and 5700 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    Just lack of sleep, AMD is doing to well for his liking. He's having a hard time.

airbud7 and Loophole35 like this.
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If we can stop acting like children and get back to the topic, that would be nice folks. Just because staff comments on it doesn't mean you regress to children.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Right so,.. 5700, when is 5800 and 5900 release?

angelgraves13, airbud7 and Loophole35 like this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Maybe after 2080 super. Amd would likely need to put 5800/XT right to that level of performance for 100$ less just like with the 5700.

-Tj- likes this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    There are 2 more important question for upcoming RDNA releases:
    - Is GPU RDNA1 or RDNA2?
    - What is CU arrangement?
    - Does it use same manufacturing process as 5700(XT) or something more power efficient?

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I’d like to add:

Will board partners have custom cooled versions at launch?

This honestly is my biggest gripe with AMD every time they launch a new card.

7. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    ^ +1.

Waiting 1+ months for AIBs to be able to get their cards on the shelves its pretty lame.

Jagman likes this.
  8. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    I must NOT buy the blower version.... wait for the AIBs..... But I so want the 5700 XT now :mad:

9. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 by G3D
    If amd is able to pull a card to compete with 2080 Ti, they won't price it for 699 when the 2080 Ti is 999, you will be lucky if it goes for 899. AMD is in the business to make money.

Picolete likes this.
  10. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I believe RDNA2 is next year with Zen 3. Radeon will now be updated yearly like Zen, so expect things to heat up in a year or two. AMD may be behind Nvidia now, by not so much, but once they infinity fabric the GPU and move to chiplets, I think Nvidia will be behind AMD. That'll likely be after Navi, so 2021.

11. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    So here in Australia prices for the NV cards continues to be a joke. The cheapest 2070 Super card that I can see here so far cost AUD939 which is ~USD659 whereas the 5700XT is a much more reasonable AUD679 which is ~USD475; so basically tax plus a little bit on top which is perfectly acceptable.

Next year pending on how Cyberpunk runs as well whether or not prices settle and if any new cards get released I might seriously consider getting my first ever Radeon card.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Prices within first couple weeks of most product releases must factor in supply, demand and hype factors. Once inventory is well stocked, prices should stabilize. Just saying that as a general rule, not that it may necessarily happen with your cited examples in your region.

13. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    Yea for sure completely understand that. Just pointing out that both are newly released and the 5700XT is very reasonably priced vs the ridiculous pricing for the 2070 Super. FWIW the old 2070 and 2080 prices never really settled post release here so it's a bit sad.

I am hoping that this is just their way to help clear not only the old 2070 stock but also the current 2080's since it's getting so close to the prices of the 2080's here right now.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I believe that's more of an effect of non-custom cooling AIB vs everyone producing custom-cooling AIB that cost more.

Though i also think it may currently have to do with where you live as i can find 2070 Supers, custom AIB boards for $499, MSRP pricing, and 2060 Supers, custom AIB boards for $399, MSRP pricing at both amazon and newegg where i live.

15. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    Yea definitely to do with where I live I think lol. To be fair It used to be so much worse but the general public started to catch on in recent years especially during that time when AUD was on parity with USD. I do believe this is the retailers way to help clear old 2070/80 stocks to make way for the Super but we'll see I'm not really holding my breath for any significant price reductions either.

16. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Hmm, is the blower style cooler that bad?

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    ^ the problem with this guy is that he assumes every single card is exactly like his sample. Its not, if we go by the disparity of results of multiple reviews. Hilbert got a good sample in his review, while apparently TPU did not. As well as other wildly varying results of other reviewers. Its this inconsistency that might be of concern. This also happens with Nvidia cards (not usually with review samples, as Nvidia is more careful to cherry pick them for reviewers), but we may occasionally see cards that are quite a bit off the norm vs review samples, and I've seen some buyers return their cards because of this. Point is, it seems there may be greater inconsistency with Navi ref blowers if we just go by the reviews that reported their disparate findings. This youtuber never acknowledges that something like this could happen.

Picolete and airbud7 like this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    On other hand there are people who undervolted even more. But it is not like everyone will undervolt. Apparently Hilbert's stock voltage testing is adequate.
    And most of reviewers are looking at OC 1st instead of looking at card's weakness and see what can be done with it.
    From voltage to clock results I have seen, there will be no issue to fit double the size GPU with around 1.8X performance of 5700 XT under 300W on exactly same 7nm.

Jagman likes this.
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This is so true^...I had 2 HD4890's back in the day one Sapphire and an XFX both @stock and the XFX constantly got 10+fps over the Sapphire...

Damn thing blew up after 6 months of hard gaming though!...Grrrrr...:D

Edit: I think I just linked a member here called stock using "@" lol

SpajdrEX likes this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Idk man, LTT 5700XT literally shut down in the menu of games due to overheating. There is inconsistency and then there is just bad design. This cooler is the latter - sometimes you need to call a spade a spade.

Navi is without a doubt a great card at the price point but people should definitely be waiting to get AIB cooled cards or plan on swapping the cooler themselves.

Hopefully the outcry here pushes AMD towards better stock cooling in the future.

21. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I would like to see that. Because it is not 1st blower AMD used for cards of given TBP. And from measurements, those cards actually eat less energy (produce less heat) than otehr blower equipped cards from past.

I can see that use of that graphite pad may cause issues in some cases. But it is not like one can't replace it with regular thermal compound.

airbud7 likes this.