1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Fury X vs 980ti multi-GPU performance:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...-GTX-980-Ti-2-and-3-Way-Multi-GPU-Performance

Winner? Fury X.

So not all doom and gloom for FuryX for those seeking the ultimate multi-GPU setups. :banana:

3. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1060 6G Armor
    they would be fine with either brand...

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Hasn't Crossfire always scaled better? I had a 4780X2 and my problem wasn't with the scaling performance, it was the number of games it actually worked at all in. Most AAA titles were fine, but random other little games weren't.

Also I think for the most part SLI/Crossfire are going to run into issues in future games where deferred rendering becomes further and further used. Going to require the dev/amd/nvidia to work far more closely at developing the implementation for multi-GPU setups.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    This is the problem with CF
    [​IMG]

Sometimes more FPS than SLI but frametimes are absolute garbage, last time i tried it was 7970 and that was an eye sore judder fest

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Yeah, I won't consider xfire even if it's faster with those frametimes.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That is what I was talking about earlier in the thread. But that aside it looks like the Fury is the better card anyways as it is right on the heals of the X with a cheaper price and just the slight overclocking it can do puts it past the X in every game and resolution.

I would not be surprised if Nvidia dropped the 980 and 980Ti MSRP by another $50 just to make Fiji completely irrelevant.

980 at $450
    980Ti at $600

That would really be interesting.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    980 at $400, 970 $279 and the ti at $550 would literally kill off their sales i think

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Frametime variance was pretty bad on GTA V for Fury X CF, but did quite a bit better in BF4, Bioshock inf and Metro LL. So largely game dependent. Not enough games tested really to reach definitive conclusion.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I doubt we will see prices that low, but if we did it would be awesome.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Not sure if they can do it. Prices that low for current products may constitute dumping, an illegal trade practice.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
  13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    AMD does it all the time.

14. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti@2GHz/WC
    I see no reason to a price reduction the GTX980Ti, but the GTX 980 is in an awkward situation right now with this new fury and a drop of $ 30-50 makes sense to me.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    They had to, to stay in the game. Bet you a lawyer can bring up a case vs Nvidia if they tried to do it with current products that are selling well. It would look more like an attempt to damage the competition than an actual need to do it. Of course I may be off the mark at those sort of prices, but anything less than that, I think Nvidia would face legal challenges of some sort.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Strix
  17. Rugburn

Rugburn Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    I'll likely buy Nvidia for my next gpu purchase, but I want AMD to stay competitive... If AMD wasn't there, Nvidia would essentially have a monopoly and charge insane prices.

Go AMD!! :p

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    We know what the single cards performance is. The CF scaling though seems to give FX a raw FPS edge over SLI. CF smoothness is not good with GTAV, but on par or better in the other games (at least in the PCPer review)

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Strix
    Hardware.fr has CF vs SLI review using 13 games. No stuttering with SLI whatsoever, 3 problematic games with CF... just saying.
    http://www.hardware.fr/focus/111/crossfire-radeon-r9-fury-x-fiji-vs-gm200-round-2.html

Every single AMD launch its the same story. "OMG look at that CF scaling"
    (in chosen few games)
    Few months down the road - ****storm! CF drama all over the internet, reviewers calling out AMD, no profiles for AAA games, negative scaling etc etc.

That being said AMD has the edge with XDMA. Theoretical anyway. With proper support this could turn into a real advantage.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Ah, OK. Thanks for the link. Seems they did the CF vs SLI comparison only in 4k.