1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    There are more reason for card to throttle. even if you can keep it at 45°C, it still can throttle once power limit in vBIOS is reached.
    My HD7970 was throttling a lot in experiments with TDP as I lowered it to 175W.

That means reviewers could have card(s) which needed more juice for given clock than allowed.
    And different kind of workloads put different load on GPU even if each shows same 100% utilization.
    (One of reasons why review sited show sometimes quite different power consumption.)

But TDP throttling has simple solution, people just have to allow higher TDP limit and who cares if it eats 25/50W more.

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Get a load of this bench:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jAeLS-gmbo

Also, Look at the other videos that the uploader posted, Amazingly at same exact settings, The Fury X eats alot less vram then the Titan X, Some of his videos are almost the same vram usage, This is very interesting.

Strange, the vram usage count on titan X is alot more then fury X, Could be how the hbm works.

Hmmm, I can't wait for more updated drivers, I am looking foward for more juice coming out of this card and more voltage tweaks and overclockin', Can't wait for results in the future.

I am looking foward to the dual r9 fury x coming out very soon, what? this 15th?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Battle of the kings, L@@K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFpy2L3B8lk

Reason why the Titan X and the 980 Ti Oc stands out more is because of alot more overclocking potential headroom, whereas the r9 fury x can't overclock as much, If it had the same overclocking headroom, the r9 would win, on the overclocking part.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  4. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1060 6G Armor
    well, that's the first.

5. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    No throttling here and I'm on air - in fact, I can boost them further than I do and they still don't throttle. I've yet to see them break 75c tbh.

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    I think if the R9 overclocking potential opens up as much as the 970/980 series, I strongly believe, the r9 fury X would easily win.

Hopefully Rivatuner fame: !Unwinder!, can unlock great hidden potential within this card.

When driver fully matures + Unwinder magic = R9 Fury X FTW.

Actually looking more into the dual R9 fury X version on a single pcb.

Scaling on xfire on the fury X seems Absolutely fantastic.

And damn! 41 Celcius underload on some games, WOW.

Waiting to see the normal fury card with the traditional air fans, love to see the difference in temps.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  7. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1060 6G Armor
    R9 Fury has close to zero OC potential but ok, maybe it will "open up".

btw. that YT test is bs. Everyone knows 4th card in Sli barley scales 40%ish...

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That's a pretty big if, imo.

Also, yes, Crossfire scaling is great, first hand experience here, when it works, it's great. Problem is... It doesn't work as much as it should, judging by the recent (last 6 months or so) comments. When I ran 7950 CFX (you can call that 380 CFX haha) back in the day, the support was pretty good. But apparently things have changed a bit since then, from what I read on this forum.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    [​IMG]

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^^lmao

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I will have first hand experience pretty soon. I'll let you know. I am hoping for 1500Mhz with 2 classifieds.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    There is no overclocking potential in my opinion. Maxwell chips oc like crazy without touching the voltage. Voltage will rarely make the overclock much better, just gives some extra which usually is not worth it (heat, noise, power usage, really small gain). In Fury X's case I wouldn't touch voltage at all because VRM cooling is pretty weak.

13. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    ROFL, I actually chucked the Blu-Ray on after seeing that.

Great movie and the same way I feel about Crossfire (after numerous disappointing experiences with it).

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Are you seeing any throttling with 980ti sli?

15. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    None - running perfectly.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Great to hear. Cannot wait.

17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS

From the results I have seen with fury X in xfire mode, seems prettie good scaling.

Really looking into the dual R9 fury X on single pcb, seems tasty.

I haven't used ati cards since the 5XXX time, I had the dual on single pcb version of the 5XXX series and the 5970, in tri-fire mode, seems to scale prettie well, I know it did on FFxiv online, cards were very good for its time, only one problem with the dual 5XXX, vrm runs brutally hot, despite being water cooled.

Also new drivers just got released today, hopefully we can see comparison differences between the ones we just saw on all of theses videos/benchmarks and the new drivers just got released today, love to see the differences.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    Yeah the dual fury card should be very interesting, and the water cooler which it will likely feature will make more sense and won't take as much space as 2xnormal fury would.

19. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Fury X vs 980ti multi-GPU performance:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...-GTX-980-Ti-2-and-3-Way-Multi-GPU-Performance

Winner? Fury X.

So not all doom and gloom for FuryX for those seeking the ultimate multi-GPU setups. :banana: