Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    30%? so what... you score over 20k in FireMark? Because that would be 15,500 plus 30%. 20,150 points.

2. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    That's why reviews (like Hilbert's) use both benchmarking and game metrics to evaluate GPU performance. Also your argument doesn't make sense in the context of the Fury X vs 980Ti. Are you argueing that one is better, or just trying to bury Firestrike? If it's the latter, go create another thread lol

3. Mars

Mars Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7870 X 2 2 GIG
  4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Your arguing with a guy that stated the 980 and 980ti were the same gpu, probably best just to ignore people like that.

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    only 17,2k ? Doesn't make sense. I get 17.4k with oc'ed 7950s. .... ?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes it is, in games that are not one-sided. EXCEPT multi gpu as I said before. You are not listening.

Crossfire support isnt the best in my experience, but it is accurate for SINGLE cards.

Not sure why I am even bothering, some people won't listen no matter what you say.

7. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Again, talking about game performance in some games, NOT firestrike, although firestrike did go up as I mentioned from 15,500 to 17,500.

8. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I'm not doing either, I'm simply saying that firestrike isn't a good benchmark for real world game performance. This has been known for quite some time so I'm not sure why this surprises some.

9. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    In this case, why is it that the 970 will out score a 290x in firestrike however in nearly every game the 290x is the better performer? I've owned both and have tested both, all of which I also owned in xfire/sli with the same results for firestrike vs game performance. I'm truly trying to understand your point of view if what you say is true about firestrike being accurate for single GPU's yet not accurate for multi GPU's.

10. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I'm not sure man. I know in the earlier stages of drivers for the 295x2 that 15,500 is normal indicated by Hilbert's review http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_295x2_review,28.html

I'm not sure how you're getting such high score but that's awesome.

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    can't you multiquote ffs...

12. Mars

Mars Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7870 X 2 2 GIG
    when i used to use Nvidia , up to the 8800gt, I never noticed the drivers improve much of anything. When I switched to AMD m, driver after driver I felt gains in the performance.

In my opinion, nvidia have never really done much with drivers because their cards are a once and done kind of component, like a console, stick it in and that's about it. You can overclock but the driver itself won't give the gamer that boost.

AMD cards, I am getting amazing driver support, that show performance. Plus if I wanted I can overclock. From the time I bought my first AMD HD card which was the 5850, I gained almost x 2 performance through the life of the card. I never gained that with nvidia. With the cards I have now , when I first did some benches with heaven, I was getting about 1500 -1700 , now I'm getting about 2200-2300 without overclocking.

When I read people say AMD drivers are crap, It is quite the opposite in my experience. Nvidia drivers usually broke more game then fixed and I remember having to got backwards instead of forwards with nvidia.

I believe the Fury X is amazing card, and I can't wait to have 2 of them :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No it doesnt

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,23.html

OC vs OC 970 will beat the 290x, but at stock no.

You do know thats the overall score and not the GPU score right??

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I dont buy a gpu based of anything like firestrike or 3dmark or anything similar so am not sure why this is entering the discussion?

We use these cards (mostly) to play games so thats where the discussion should be based on.

Price+performance(games) and heat. Fury is fine on the heat (although it should have a normal cooler) but isnt quite there on the perf or price (price is higher because of the cooling).

Surely that's the crux of it chaps! By all means buy the card its not a bad card but for me a 980ti is the no brainer at this point in time.

15. Batboy

Batboy Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan X Hyb.
    HBM memory making the PCB smaller is the best part of this card (apart from the massive memory bandwidth). It would be cool to have a videocard different from my long/pestering one. I have always problems with it partially blocking the SATA ports. I have always to remove it for working inside my rig. It is very bulky. I hope NVidia will soon move to HBM!

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I wonder how Fury X would be with standard air cooler. Did they use water cooling to avoid potential problem of throttling if air cooled? If no throttling with air, why didnt they offer 2 versions, air and water which would have given them a lower cost option? An air cooled version for $550 would have gotten better reception as a good value card and would have been a big seller.

I have a feeling temps were too high and would throttle under air which is why the stuck to water cooling for Fury X.

17. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah ragingun I specifically asked you for the GRAPHICS SCORE not overall score.. -.-' facepalm.

When we talk about 3dmark only graphics score counts, nothing else.

18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Placebo effect.

I've used both AMD/nvidia for years. If you ever got 2x gains in performance with a new driver, it was because the older driver was complete and utter garbage, not because the new one was phenomenal. That rings true with either brand.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    http://www.et*knix.com/examining-nvidias-driver-progress-since-launch-drivers-gtx-780-ti-gtx-680/

Replace * with e.

20. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    The Guru3D review shows the 290x scores higher than the 970 in firestrike:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,21.html

Firestrike scales very well for multiple GPU configurations and not all games do. This is why it is less representative of real world situations for multiple GPUs. It represents the maximum potential of a multi GPU setup but in the real life gaming, you wont see that potential most of the time.