Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    You could probably add that it should go from planar transistors to finfet also. Doesn't that save space in itself ? :)

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Both AMD and Nvidia will have full lines for 16/14nm for sure.
    Its such a big leap in process, for us enthusiasts it is almost the Holy Grail of Shrinkages.

3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Ah right, I don't know much about that, I googled it now and game up with this:
    https://semiaccurate.com/2013/05/28/samsung-talks-about-their-14nm-finfet-process/

Is that what you're referring to? They say there that 14nm chips will essentially be the same size as 20nm versions because of the interconnects you mentioned. Yes, and indeed (20nm squared)/(28nm squared) = 0.5, so yes it looks like Hilbert was right in saying that the 14nm chips will be half the size of the 28nm chips. That's true if it really is gonna be based on 20nm interconnects - don't know how set in stone that really is though? If that's not set in stone then maybe the 14nm stuff will actually be a 'true' 14nm and then it will be a quarter of the size!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    May be so for the interconnects.
    But if you've followed the cellphone CPU's, you'll know that the '20nm' was broken, and people moved quickely on, GloFo/Samsung onto 14nm, which is working well now, and TSMC on 16nm I think. Not sure what they are producing at 16nm yet tho.

edit : twice the size (density-wise) is still a huge jump though. :)

5. KingK76

KingK76 Member Guru

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    How do you figure it's "king for 4k"? It rades back and forth with the 980ti (wins some loses some) but it overclocks like CRAP.. 75MHz overclock?!? The 980Ti will destroy this card in every game with the overclocking headroom it has... Don't be a blind fanboi and make ridiculous remarks like "king for 4K". Especially when there are two cards that are obviously better. And I wouldn't hold your breath for "driver could get better". This is AMD we are talking about....

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    But its not actually 16nm, trigate is different, the jump isn't linear like it was previously. For example the density between 14/16nm is essentially the same. The difference is in switching speed, 14nm switches a little quicker, in order to differentiate it they just labeled it 14nm. Intel is even more different, you can't Intel's 14nm directly to Samsungs. Intel's is like true 14nm trigate.

They basically made a bunch of terms up for marketing reasons. Samsung/GloFo is doing 14nm, but it's not ready for GPU's. TSMC is doing 16nmFF+, which is on schedule to hit mass production in Novemberish. I'm sure Samsung with have 14nm ready for GPU's around then too.

But yeah they will both be huge jumps.

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    Lack of HDMI 2.0 is a big miss for them i fell.

Again i believe they concentrated too much in innovation and not enough in actual everyday gaming performance @ under 4K.

I loved the review H and don't think i never missed the little dropped hint of Amazing things to come with HBM v2.

So many products will start popping up soon with HBM v2 Maybe even Mobos, Smart phones for sure and maybe Routers, servers for sure Laptops and tablets maybe if it's cheap enough.

HBM will only get smaller and faster while being more efficient and growing in capacity.

Future CPU's may have all the memory you'd ever need on chip and DDR as we know it will be gone in the future. In fact we all know it's building up into a PC all on one chip. CPU/GPU/RAM/VRAM/south and north bridge all in one packaged chip.

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    It does look like AMD are behind the curve, but at least as it stands right now the Fury stacks up well in performance to the 980ti (well very slightly lower performance). I wouldn't mind building my first desktop with Pascal, think I'd like to build it once HBM matures a little.

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    Lack of HDMI 2.0 is a big miss for them i fell.

Again i believe they concentrated too much in innovation and not enough in actual everyday gaming performance @ under 4K.

I loved the review H and don't think i never missed the little dropped hint of Amazing things to come with HBM v2.

So many products will start popping up soon with HBM v2 Maybe even Mobos, Smart phones for sure and maybe Routers, servers for sure Laptops and tablets maybe if it's cheap enough.

HBM will only get smaller and faster while being more efficient and growing in capacity.

Future CPU's may have all the memory you'd ever need on chip and DDR as we know it will be gone in the future. In fact we all know it's building up into a PC all on one chip. CPU/GPU/RAM/VRAM/south and north bridge all in one packaged chip.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    +1, its been like this for sometime now, good few years and tbh the gap increases with each new GPU release. It all went downhill when the 7990 was released which still came too late. Ever since then there downward trend has continued and they aint managed to get back in the game. The Fury is using a shoddy watercooler and it still cant beat the Ti which has a supposedly inferior air cooler! Just goes to show how good Nvidia Engineering really is!

[​IMG] :D

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That depends what you class as complaining. I discuss overhead sure.

12. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    As good as the 4K performance is, I think it's only because nVidia's 4K performance is lacking.

The 980 Ti is better sub 4K, yet the Fury X matches the 4K performance.

This looks like a nice card for the money, but AMD needs to move on to GCN 1.3 or 2.0 or whatever.

13. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Really disappointed with the performance of this card. AMD made some awful decisions.

I just ordered a MSI Gaming 980 TI :). Single gpu for me now. No more CFX/SLI for me. There is always an issue and I am tired of that.

I havent ordered a waterblock yet which makes me feel weird. I always watercool my cards and cpu. Maybe it is time for a change so I will check on temps. :nerd:

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    You can't just compare ROP counts, it's all specifications and their relation to each other that can be compared, not just a single stat.
    You can push the same amount of water at the same time trough a thin pipeline by using higher pressure than a thick pipeline, if that makes sense....

The only card it Rivals is the GTX980Ti, the Titan X has to high a price tag to be a competitor.
    I'm also impressed by the Fury's size, but that is about it.
    For 4K there is no fast card, all current cards suck at it when you only use 1 of them.

You can hope, but it would be a rather bad commercial for AMD to send out lower bind samples to reviewers.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Do you buy a card because of that it has new innovation or to get better performance than what you have with your current card?

16. Halfmead

Halfmead Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Funny how fast people are to ridicule AMD, especially after a review of new product that performs very well.

It may be that people have had too high expectations for some reason.

AMD, at this time operates with an R&D budget that is 100+ Mill $ lower than Nvidia and still manages to deliver a new, more efficient memory system than current Nvidia cards (ofc. nvidia is coming with HBM v2, when they're done milking their customers wallet).
    They give you a factory Watercooled card, they give you a card that performs at roughly same level of 980ti...and still you cry..

True, It probably should have retailed ~50$ cheaper to keep that 'AMD, more for less' we have become accustomed to.

Far as i can see, a very nice high-end card that shines the most at 4k resolution.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    People expected that the more efficient memory also included a more efficient GPU, and you can also get factory watercooled 980Ti's, so...
    As for 4K, be serious, none of the single GPU cards is good enough for that atm., even the reviews show, state and conclude it, so no real shining there even whit the fact that it does it better.
    2 Fury's might outshine 2 980Ti's by a lot at 4K though.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC

They doubled L cache size and other registers to compensate proper use of HMB, that's why ROP stayed intact, they apparently thought about putting more but saw "no benefit". Well more ROPS will yield better perf., it raises pixel fillrate and GM200 just proves that.

No It does rival both, especially titanX at 4K, I've checked 10 reviews so far.

Btw what's up with all these contras? :p

19. Halfmead

Halfmead Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super

yes, you can get watercooled/hybrid EVGA (not Nvidia ie. factory) ti, if you're willing to pay ~150 Euro more for it (at least for us Danes) :)

What i tried to get through though, was that it is a very good product, from a company that IS struggling, but still tries to stay competitive and innovative :)

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    For a water cooled card a freaking 75mhz oc is laughable. Tbh I wouldn't want to go 4k on a 4gb card right now hbm or not. That are just 2 of the reasons why I don't like the card. At least the ti comes with 50% more vram for around the same price. Now thats nvidia milking the 980ti? Then I'll take 2.