Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. bigosik

bigosik Banned

GPU:
    This is not a bad card imo but the price is too high. GTX980Ti is the better card and the price difference is not so huge.

AMD should drop the price, too expensive for this performance.

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I wanted this card to beat the 980Ti and be lower priced. Now I have to pay full price for 2 980ti. With this release and the 200 series retread in the 300 series. I don't see amd less than 25% share of the discrete VGA market share changing much. They needed a home run and just hit a double maybe triple max imo.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Once this card goes on sale and has a better price attached to it, I can see many people getting one or even two.. plenty of performance there for even higher end res. I mean, if this card gets to $500, and you buy two of em, you could be rocking games in 4k @ 60FPS+ and running very cool.

That said, for the lack of overclocking headroom, it does appear that the watercooling is pretty much a total waste. Sure, its nice to have a very cool running card, but how much oc potential is wasted when you consider its idle and load temps. Also, wasnt it said that these Fury cards were an overclockers card?

I hope that AMD does well with this, not just because they really need to do well, but also because the industry needs some competition amongst the big names.. dunno if this will do it, but hope they adjust prices.. that will definitely help.

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Great review, HH!...;) It's obvious you can see what HBM design means for the market moving forward...and I surely appreciate the fair shake you have given this product...unlike some sites (like [H]) that seemed personally offended because the FuryX wasn't 2x faster than the 980Ti (Brent usually does a better job with reviews...)

I'm not in the market for either a 980Ti or a RFuryX, but if I was I know what I'd buy (hint: not the nV card)...;) Days of spending top dollar for GPUs are behind me...my sweet spot now is $200-$300 (the closer to $200 the better...)

As usual, I am always surprised by people who think there's nothing to 3d cards but frame-rate bar charts--I can picture them doing little except running benchmarks all day--well, if that's your cup of tea it is of course fine with me (even if I can't understand it)...

I'd like to see some purely shader-specific tests run on this card, of course, might be interesting. But I think people who'd walk away from it just because it's 5%-8% slower than the 980Ti in some limited-scenario, DX-9/11 game engines sort of miss the boat--might say they can't see the forest for the tree, etc.

Looking at this card you see the future...and when they can run @ 20nm or even 14nm (someday) we'll see what these designs can do...the challenge will be to create a 3d GPU hardware engine that can run fast enough to keep all of that ram bandwidth busy...!

I'll be looking seriously at the Nano when it comes to market...Meanwhile, AMD needs to post some software better illustrating the strengths of this HBM design, strengths that current 3d game engines simply aren't yet taking advantage of.

6. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    Dudes... the history shows that even with a new drivers the results cant go more the 5%... and i doubt that is going happen...
    Talking about market price is obvious that will force lower both but a true gamer that wants spend their money wanna performance at first.... and at this moment this card is farway of be the best option...
    Very fast we will see this card price dropped because the sells will be very poor with sure... only a anti NVIDIA will buy it...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Hitlers reaction! :D :D :D

8. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    LOL... man! Its true...
    Very disappointed with AMD

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You cannot get more than a 5% increase in performance with drivers? That does not sound right.

10. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Haha just watched that. Never gets old....

11. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Prices will drop as they always do ,, just give it a bit of time :)

12. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    In one of ten titles this would happens...

13. wsgroves

wsgroves Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 1080Ti
    I am no genie in a bottle but, did anyone truly expect this card to be much faster then a 980ti? Or was it mostly wishful thinking?
    I think its a damn shame. You have to give up gfxcard Physx, GameWorks, and move to worse drivers (yes), just to move to amd. Not worth it at all imho.

Thanks for the great review as always.

14. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    With HBM and being a new chip family a lot of people were allowed to expect it :D

16. bigosik

bigosik Banned

GPU:
  17. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Excellent reviews as always.

With future driver updates, performance should be getting alot better.

I remember back when I had both the 8800gtx(First nvidia unified shader architecture) and the radeon 2900XT(R600/First Ati unified shader architecture I believe), I was running ESIV: Oblivion with both cards, the 8800gtx was from what I remembered, quite a bit faster but after ati released couple drivers later or so, Holy Moly, the performance within ESIV: Oblivion literally went doubled or more in performance, all because of the drivers as the 2900xt was very new with new shader technology, so of course at release its not going to be all that, I will wait at least 3-4 more drivers to see if the fury X improves drastically.

I remember playing LOL, Crysis online beta with two of the above cards, very best cards that nvidia and ati had to offer at that time, both cards couldn't even run crysis at over 10 fps at times, lol, Can it run crysis????

Amd/Ati still has vastly superior Supersampling quality, I owned the 5XXX series one time, 4 X supersampling whoops nvidia's 16Xssaa, no questions asked, I don't know about now because I haven't owned an ati card in a long time.

By the time amd/ati really makes this card truly shine through driver updates, guess what? Pascal is right around the corner.

I am looking foward to the dual fury X coming later and will be observing on performance through future driver releases, as where it stands, I might look into the 980ti but I might wait until probably nvidia's pascal comes out.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  18. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Were the APi overhead tests performed? I might have missed it.
    Thanks for the review.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, I was hoping for 980ti to drop too, but unfortunately the FuryX performance might actually make the 980ti more expensive. Either that or the FuryX will drop in price. Latter, more likely.

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The overhead will be similar to the 290x as the driver is holding it back I expect.