Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    TPU used that horrific test method (fully unlocked FPS) and those special gameworks/physX titles where nV gets huge boost but not many people play them.
    So, if you exclude fps above 144fps and take out benchmarketing titles. You'll see different scores.

Btw, Hilbert, can you do weight averages as summarization?
    You know, now everyone has his sets of games for reviews and adds new ones in time/removes old ones. And average for all is just plain average.
    What about weight average based on total play time on steam or active player base in last 3/6 months?

That way you get comparison of what matters to people. Not that your set is bad or anything, but you may set new trend. And show other sites how poor selection of games they use.

2. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    Few points:

Page 5: That copper pipe in the cooler looks seriously pinched at the 90 degree bend - wonder is that seriously restricting water flow?

Page 6: Specs - should that be 4096 stream processors on the comparison graph (it says 2560) for Fury X?

Page 9: "HBM v1 will be introduced soon in products that cannot be discussed just yet."?? You mean Fury X? Old text?

Page 11: Nice low temp!

Benchmarks overall: Disappointing - it more or less is a single GPU with the performance of a dual GPU (like my current 7990)

The high Nvidia cards seem to be beating it in more or less all benchmarks.

But one thing missing - review did not try any GPU accelerated production software examples which would use the double precision floating point performance which the AMD architecture is way better than the crippled NVidia architecture (to protect the sales of their Quadro line)
    It may be that this card beats the crap out of 980TI for say Premiere CC real time effects rendering... but I know this is just a gaming site... not interested in productivity software.

Looks like I'll keep my 7990 and wait for either the dual GPU Fury X or some other HBM2 (+14nm) card

I also use the 7990 to Eyefinity across three Dell 24" monitors and only one of them has a Displayport so no point replacing two 24" monitors just because of this.

Hopefully it might result in some good secondhand cards coming onto ad sites.

Looks like right now the 980TI is still the better/smarter option (for gaming) (the 6GB EVGA GTX 980 Ti HYBRID looks very nice for overclocked with watercooling).

For future I can't wait to see what Battlefield 6 looks like on a HBM2/14nm/DX12 dual GPU machine...

I just hope AMD and their shareholders can hold out and not go bust through lack of sales before this...

This looks like beta version 1 of new technology - and version 2 hopefully will be much better.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  3. bigosik

bigosik Banned

GPU:
  4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB

+1 the state of the driver situation is disappointing. They've also separated 300 drivers to rest, not sure if it'll stay that way.

An entirely new chip. Bleeding edge HBM. Great cooling. Let down by drivers once again.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    That makes absolutely zero sense..

You sound like one of those AMD bulldozer fanboys that said well "just cap your fps and youll see its the same as intel"

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I actually laughed.

I kinda see his point, kinda. If I had a 144hz monitor, I'd be capping to it's refresh rate. That being said, any extra performance over 144fps in these games will most likely mean that the game will not dip below the refresh rate.

Meaning if FuryX can push 150fps in a game and the 980ti can push 170fps in a game, I'll take the 170fps card simply because it'll mean that hopefully it'll drop below 144fps less often.

Still, nobody reviews cards like this Fox, there's no way that's a valid point, sorry dude.

7. Trasher

Trasher Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    And these are the same people who never research anything before buying, they just don't care. If a game stops working they'll probably google it and find a forum which tells them to install the newest beta driver and they are once again happy campers.

A few years back NVIDIA released WHQL-drivers twice a year and plenty of beta drivers, so same thing then.

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Beta drivers, happy campers? Speak for yourself :D

9. KenpoJuJitsu3

KenpoJuJitsu3 Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    This doesn't appear to be the case unless Slightly Mad weren't being forthright with people. According to what they posted on their forums:

10. Trasher

Trasher Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I have never had problems with beta drivers (AMD or NVIDIA)

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nothing wrong with beta drivers. Look at the latest nvidia WHQL Batman driver... Known issues from the driver's .pdf were 4k and SLI issues related to the game it was released for.

All drivers are beta, not one driver will work for everyone. I've been installing drivers from both nvidia and AMD for almost 20 years now and they will always cause issues for someone. Most of the time it's PEBKAC, though.

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I guess they just like the look of NVIDIA banners.

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Beta drivers aren't much different to WHQL. Poor overhead and lacking in crossfire support.

NVIDIA did list bugs but we have no crossfire at all. Bugs aren't listed but they will be there :D

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    cool first post.

everything they say has to be taken with a handful of salt. pCARS is an nvidia advert first, then it's a game. Take any car around any circuit and you'll see countless nvidia banners splattered all over the place. Are you trying to tell me that nvidia didn't pay for this blatant advertising?

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I'm not impressed performance wise, not to mention the technical stuff, like lack of dual link DVI (I for example couldn't run this card on my monitor), the clumsy cooling solution which although efficient, it takes up a lot of space and won't fit in all cases, multi gpu being pretty impossible with the current cooling solution.

HOWEVER, HBM is likely to become the standard, so being the first to make a card with it is an achievement all right. I also like the price, honestly no high end card should be over 600$ (especially not reference), what nvidia has done in the last years is insane with the Titans, glad there's nothing like that from AMD.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Exactly

So fury x gets 144 average fps on xyz game, 980ti averages 170

Well minimum fps is 140 for the 980ti but furyx drops down to 110..
    Thats my point, the 980ti is faster regardless of the scenario

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    AMD have always been innovative. Remember their ringbus at the time? or the 79xx with more vram, wide memory bus etc. They've always been up there when it came to innovating. Unfortunately, they are really good in certain aspects of the game, but they let themselves down in other ways.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thing is that both limiting games to maximum available refresh of screens. And weight average reflects real world usage and value delivered.

Some sites can skew results just by smart selection of games, and it is unfair to not so much thinking customers who just see: "This in average does better."
    But they will not realize that they do not own (nor plan to own) single game of those which made that better results for given card.

It can go both ways being good for nV or AMD. It is simply not right.

There can be another metric, power consumption with capped fps. To add another value to those capped results. So 2 cards both reach 144fps, but one eats less energy while rendering at that rate.

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Drivers. Things do look bright with DX12 but that might not save them in time.

20. lexer98

lexer98 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I was specting a bit more of this card .... maybe with DX12/W10 it will able to perform a bit better