Return rates less than 5% after GeForce GTX 970 VRAM Exposure

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Fanaticism

That's all its been. Blown out of proportion is an understatement.. usually I would think this site would be a bit more impervious to this type of online frenzy, but unfortunately many users on here just kept stirring it up (I believe the majority were AMD fans)

Whoever returned their cards obviously felt the need to do so, but the vram issue doesn't change the fact that the 970 are amazing cards for the money.. no matter how much people have gone mental over it.

Not even for a second did I consider returning my cards.. do I wish that Nvidia was more transparent about it? Absolutely.. but that is a seperate issue all together. What matters is how the cards perform, and they perform great. Apparently that isn't good enough for some people? Oh well, their loss.

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    just wait for a new 380x thing why get a 1yr a half old card? they will be refresh's and just about the same price as the leftover 290 stock...er I mean I think they will be.

liking my 970 a lot only had it almost two days but it's pretty cool so far.
    I might break it by accident modding or some freak way only I know how too but I wont return it.

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    No need to bash AMD, they do some very competing GPU's, you should be happy for that, hell knows what you would have to pay for graphic cards if they weren't in the game.

But I can partly agree with you that there are quite a few who try to take advantage of the situation, seen some hilarious posts where people ask if they should refund even if they didn't have any issues with their 970.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've never considered returning my card. As I've said several times, my card performs exactly as advertised. I have, however, considered selling off ALL of my hardware over this fiasco. Not because of NVidia, their handling of this "fiasco" or the fact they lied about the specs. No, it was actually because of all the idiots trying to convince everyone that there was some major, world-ending "flaw" in these cards. I've never wanted to distance myself from the "enthusiast community" so much in my almost 20 years of building computers as I have recently. It's rather sad really. The community seems to have been completely overrun by spoiled brats.....

Personally, I don't care about "efficient" when I buy a GPU. I only care that it performs to my standards. Hell, I don't even care about the overall specs of the card. The last card I bought where I even had a clue what the full specs were, without having to look them up, was an HD4850.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If other people seriously have you worked up so much that you are considering selling all your hardware, you need to seriously take a step back. You're way to invested in the 'community' at that point. Go play some games.

6. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Yes, I too, worry about how my hardware performs at loading the G3D forums.

Damn those idiots!

20 threads at nvidias forums about 970 and stuttering WITH video evidence! All idiots!

10%ish reduction in card worth gone! Its their fault too!

if people are getting to you with telling you what to do ignore/log out :3eyes:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I saw something like this coming, even earlier than this. You're not the only one, but from the very beginning you got yourself invested in this, too invested.
    Trouble is, you can't tell who are you discussing with, angry customer, troll, shill or just a newb. And some debates are not only unwinnable, but pointless too.
    I swear I knew you're gonna burn out. But sell all hardware, REALLY?

8. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    if these percentage numbers are accurate, im not surprised. all the complaints we've seen on the forums only represent a tiny fraction of 970 owners worldwide. and it seems they're perfectly happy with the way their 970 is performing as Nvidia has maintained the card is working as intended.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I understand ppl being somewhat mad about lies. But the cards have performed as advertised else really so what is the issue. Some guys that have had faulty cards taking some video of artifacts and choppy gameplay and blame it on this. Then just ultra hyper "SELL YOUR CARDS THEY ARE FINE BUT SELL EM CAUSE I AM TELLING YOU BS".

The 'community' is derp. The whole thing totally flew out of proportion. So it ain't a wonder some people get burned out by the community because it can be utter ****.

10. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I just bought EVGA GTX970 SCC for 1080p gaming 40in 3D TV
    As that seems to be what they are best at, as for the memory problem I figure NVidia will implement some sort of fix
    but I figure that I will need a better GPU if I ever move to 4k gaming.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I get weird feeling, that AMD section is place where people should announce their new nVidia hardware.

Wonder if I should do same with my next GPU.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    why? :D they are already announcing that there XD

13. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Returned my SLI 970's today. Now my only choice is to decide what to get. Wait for the 390x and run my ole GTX 285 or get the 290x to hold me over.... I do game SOM, FC4, and AC:U so I'd have to curb those games til I got the 390x if I wait. Last option would be to just go for it and get me a 295. Kinda sucks but I couldn't stand the frame drops and stuttering anymore at 1440p. For the longest time I kept blaming it on SLI issues or game code issues. Oh well, onto something better. Good luck to Ngreedia in the future, they've lost a customer.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    How do you know it's not multi GPU or gaming code issues though?

It would not surprise me if the the next few months most people find out the hard way that alot of games just don't have the great code or multi gpu support.

15. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Because it does not happen until you are over that 3.5gb memory usage. It's the same results as Hilbert found, the issue is extremely magnified when SLI is used since the cards have more than enough to push graphics past that memory usage.

16. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    You know Hilbert when I read in NV forums they can return there card keep there card get money some money back.. do you know know how many take that offer up?

I dont know ONE person that has this card has had any problems.. like me none other then the reg problems all video cards get.

Just get to see the true colors of people..some.. yet hard to tell whos who with text.

Wanted to add "due to the card being falsely advertised".. again no one I know bought this card based on this "falsely advertised". They SOME inturn lie get money back to get a 980.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015