Resonating hum issue

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by tsunami231, Mar 22, 2020.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So I have Fractal Design R5 case. And I recently noticed it how has resonating hum that is osculating I tried few times to track down where it coming from with no success OCD is bitch atlest when it triggered.

I have tried stopping ALL fan one at time to see if there causing it and none of them are causing it, one fan I cant do that to is PSU fan cause it in cased, but resonating hum not really loud by psu so I dont "think" it coming from psu.

Took out the HDD(had this out for years)/Optical cage took this out today. it might made quieter?? as it not that bad right now. it mostly noticable from the GPU area and up. At one point I thought it was coming from case Fan covers cause if I put little weight on the covers it got quiter, the sound was still there though, but now that dont work.

At one point the resonating hum was so bad I could hear from my bed bought 8 feet away I hear mostly when I sitting next to it now.

The only thing I sure of is the moment the system is turned off it stops maybe it whine from something on the mb? i mean kind sound like transform whine but it dont at the same time and seeing all the fan are running fixed speed I cant see how it a fan cause it would same tone and the frequency of the resonating hum is osculating. and only thing I can think of that does that is coil whine depend on power going threw it. which if something from MB then I guess there not much I can do.

Anyone have thought I what I should try?

2. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Try moving it, where is it located? Try a different table sounds like its an echo, from Vibration.......

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it does and this the thing none of fans are causing it. cause like said I could stop them all and it would still be there.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What PSU do you have?

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Antec HCG 750m

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    It will be caused by 2 rotating devices both creating their own vibration, most likely at similar speed to each other.
    Could be 2 hard drives, 2 fans or even possibly a fan and hard drive by sheer bad luck.
    I've had it a few times, it was resolved by isolating the offenders and mounting them in a way that doesnt transmit the vibration as bad.
    ie outside the case, on rubber, in another location in the case.

I recently had it caused by the hard drive in my satellite box vibrating on the table my PC is housed in.
    Sat box vs PC Bzzz fight.
    My sat box is now sat on a bit of foam at the front.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    All hard drivers are SSD there are no mechanic drive in the system anymore and if it was fan the noise would stop after the fan spin down from being shut off no? cause noise stops the moment the PC shutdown so the fans are still spinning down

The D14 is in 2 fan mode both pulling from the front out the back running roughly 1000 rpm I acutal took those fan off one at a time from HSF with system still on and stop the fans noise was still there. and D14 has rubber/pastic strips to put the 4 corners of the fan on to reduce that. wish I had tool or way to pinpoint where it coming from

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Fans spinning at slightly different speeds cause oscillation that will sound like a pulsing hum.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sadly it is not the fans I went as far I turn off all the case fans And I took both fans off the D14 while still running and separated as much as possible while still holding them and the noise is still coming from the MB area. I still think IF it was the fans it would continue happen right up to the point the fans stopped spinning, but the noise stops the instant the system is power down, and seeing it take 3-4 for all the fans to stop spinning I cant see it being the fans. Maybe Vibrations from PSU are traveling up the case to mb area? psu is only Fan i cant stop to see if it is the fan but why does the noise stop the instant the system is powered down? It stopping the instant power is cut make me think it has something to do with power running threw system?

I will trying to remount my cpu fans yet again. the other fans have never been taken out, seeing the CPU fans are only ones they need to be take out to clean. but like said when noise was there when they where even attach to HSF and I turn off all the other fans and it was still there.

Some time I wish my OCD would just drop dead:eek:

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Use a piece of fishtank airline as a stethoscope to isolate the noise. Post a list of every rotating device in your case.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    2 Fans on the D14
    3 Fan in the Case 2 Front 1 Back of case
    2 Fans on the GPU which dont even spin less gpu goes over 50c
    There is a "fan" attached to side panel but it not even connected ( cant be that cause it not plugged in and when I take the panel off it not even attached to case)
    Noise starts and stop instantly the moment pc is powered on and power off there is no delay at all.

As for the fishtank line you mean like a thin hose? almost like straw just not that thick.

I think what will try at some point is Change Noctua P14 flx that is in the back of case and take the other P14 I have which attach to the side panel. Put them both to the Front of the case have them power and managed by MB instead all cases fan running threw cases fan switch control and stick one of FD R5 fan to the back of the case seeing it the loudest fans, though I not sure how the gona work cause those P14 flx are not Square there round and mounting spots in the front of the case are square. if I can do that I can cut back on wiring.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes, thin airline about the diameter of a straw. Not as common as it used to be when everyone had a fishtank. Is it 60hz electrical hum? If it is instant then something is inducing it. Have you lifted up the PSU from the case, when you power it on? You should be able to suspend it in your hand just to check.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I try that and some other other stuff next time i venture inside the case. I mean it does sound more like fan hum/vibration then anything but stop instantly when system is shut down and starts instantly the moment it on. which fans dont have have bout 2 second delay before the at full speed or full stop.

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm a quiet freak myself since I live out in the middle of nowhere. I've used Dynamat,
    [​IMG]

for both sound deadening and to dampen vibrations in cases. It's as heavy as F, but it it works. I've used it like strap between AIO hoses to both secure them and dampen the vibration. Strategically placed strips on a large side panel can turn that bass drum, into a sound shield.
    That you say the noise is instant, as if you flipped a switch, leads me to believe the noise is inductive or caused by a transformer. I'm leaning toward your PSU. Rubber washers and feet are an idea.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it is isntant which what confuses me cause it dont "sound" like transformer or coil noise it sound more like noise a fan would make. I not sure if rubber feet on bottom of the psu but i know the noise isnt from psu it self now the psu could be cause a "transformer" up by MB area to do via the power it getting. and what is also strange sometime i cant hear other times i can sitting next to pc, or maybe that ist my ear adjust to the surrounding noises.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    How do you "know" the PSU isn't the cause? Did you isolate the PSU from the case? Importantly, is it 60hz hum or not? It if is, you know your sound is being induced electrically. If not, mechanically.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    The noise isnt coming from the psu it coming from motherboard area, which why I said psu isnt cause of it or should i say isnt making the noise, now it if power that being supplied from the psu to motherboard that another story.

Like said it sound like noise fan makes but acts like it not the fan, cause its a instant stop moment system is power off and instant start moment i on, fans anrt instantly spun up or down. which why I rather confused on what is the cause.

And i have no clue if it 60hz hum. its not coil whine that i know cause coil whine dont sound like this, coil whine does stop instantly if power is turned off or turn on if it constant whine which how this hum acts but not how it sounds.

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yeah...so you will not do the most basic thing and isolate the PSU from the case because you INSIST the most likely culprit cannot induce a vibration or hum elsewhere in the case. Who refuses to do the most OBVIOUS and simple thing and insists WITHOUT EVEN TRYING, that cannot be it. I'm out. I now understand why phone tech commit suicide at higher rates.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    And if you touch the case does it stop?

I had something similar like that once, it was some sort of grounding issue inside the case, try double checking mobo screws/washers and standoffs.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no it doesnt stop if i touch the case, and isolating the stupid psu does not fix it I took it out case and sound was STILL coming from motherboard area. so again the NOISE is not coming from the psu if it the power from psu going to the other devices that another issue, and I dont have spare psu to test. but hum is NOT coming from psu. PSU might be causing the hum in motherboard area from dirty power or something. but again dont have spare psu. and I not gonna buy another psu for hum.

I will check the screw/washer/standoff next time bother to go in the case.