Resolution upscaling

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Gojden, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Gojden

Gojden Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    I'm trying to play an old game called Hostile Waters Antaeus Waters and it doesn't seem to correctly support 1920x1080 (or anything widescreen).

Now I had two solutions in mind:

First was to the force the game to run 1440x1080, 4:3 of my monitor's native resolution. This could theoretically be done though the registry as there are two resolution DWORDs there that I can change but if I do the game will reset the settings to default, 640x480, as soon as I start the game. I couldn't find the file that forces this change so I can't manipulate the registry as I thought.

Secondly was to use an upscaler of some kind. The highest 4:3 resolution I can run (or the highest overall really) is 1280x1024 and then I thought I could use an upscaling technique that would portray the game externally at 1920x1080. Obviously I'll lose details and jaggies will be more noticeable but since the game is old I will be able to use a high amount of Anti-Aliasing to compensate for the jaggies at least (as well Anisotropic Filtering but I always use 16 of that in all games anyway).

If anyone has a solution how to actually get one of these working or another idea that doesn't involve "just play with 1280x1024" I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance.

2. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380
  3. Gojden

Gojden Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    Can a mod move the thread or?